Menu

All About Spelling Time Commitment?

trishat

I am interested in using All About Spelling for my 6 and 8-year-old, but am terrified of the time commitment! How much time is required? Do you work on it 5 days a week? How long each day? I am not happy with the "memorize this list of words" method we are using now. It seems like my kids work on spelling all week (workbook activities, Spelling City, write the words in shaving cream, etc., etc.), but at the end of the week, they still don't know how to spell half of the words, and don't apply spelling knowledge to words that weren't on their lists.

But right now, my twin boys are 13 months and running me ragged. I'm not sure if I can squeeze any extra time into my schedule!

I spend 10 minutes-15 minutes a day, 4 days a week per kiddo. I am using AAS to teach reading and spelling to my 5yo, 7yo and 9yo.

I use the dictation sentences in AAS in place of dictation assignments in our writing and grammar programs.

I use writing our spelling words as an adjunct to our handwriting (printing and cursive) practice.

In every way, I've found that AAS builds a strong foundation for the basic skills my kids need. It takes time, but I don't see it as a time waster.

AAS has made me a much, much better reading instructor.

In short, I don't use AAS as an add-on. I use it as a foundation.

My 8 & 6 year old sons each spend about 15 minutes, four days a week.

My oldest is in Level 5. He does the lesson on Day 1 and spells the words. On Days 2 & 3 he writes dictation sentences. On Day 4 he does the Writing Station exercise.

My second son is in Level 2. He does the Lesson on Day 1 and writes the words. On Day 2 he does the dictation sentences. He does a new lesson on Day 3 & writes the words, and then writes the dictation sentences on Day 4.

It's actually quick and easy. I've tried other spelling programs, and this one was faster and more effective.

I would just reiterate what PPs have said. It's about 15 minutes per child 5 days a week. And I use it to teach reading and spelling. It's worked better than any other reading program for us (like another poster said--it's made me a better reading instructor!).

It is definitely teacher intensive but the words are mastered. The kids are learning. Stop whenever you want and start up where you left off.

I cannot complain too much with a method where I see results.

You will even learn to bite your tongue when your toddlers step on the whiteboard sending the tiles flying everywhere and stress when you can't find a tile. All About Learning sends you free tile replacements if you email them.

I place a pillowcase over my whiteboard with the letters tiles all in order and hide it under the tv stand when not in use. Sometimes we get the problem of a tile stuck in the pillowcase and we just shake it out.

Yes, AAS has become my foundation as well. I am even making my strong reader/speller go through it and it has made a difference in her writing and spelling and reading skills. I have three kids in it now. I started with one, then added another who has now one book ahead of sibling and then started the strong speller who has rapidly caught up with the two. Just start with one -give it a month or two and slowly weed in the others. Start with the struggler first. The other ones will catch up quickly and surpass and that is ok.

the minimum we spend is 15 minutes. Some days my girls go into a spelling tangent and want to do it for longer. Either way its one of the best spelling programs I've ever used and worth using. The time goes by fast and you don't really realize how much time you've really spent because the kids are having fun with spelling.

We usually do spelling 4 days a week.