Menu

Nature Documentary series not to miss?

Disney's nature has study guides that go with the films. We did Chimpanzee last year and my son loved it. Great reward to get to go to the movie theater for the film when we completed the packed. They release a new film each Earth day.

I've already got BBC Life and BBC Planet Earth, which are both AMAZING. Is there some others that are just "not to miss"?

We like the Life of... series better. Less flash and more meat, IMO, and Sir D is an inspiration to my son (he appears in the Life of series). Life of Birds is probably the very best edited, but Life in the Freezer is my son's favorite. If you are in Europe you may be in the region with DVD players for The Private Life of Plants. There are many animal "shows" out there, but this is 5 hours about plants.

His older Trials of Life divide things up into topics like migrating, communication, mating, feeding, and while the colors aren't so perfect, and there isn't special effects, it is still very worthwhile.

Slightly more whizz-bang, we also enjoyed Earth: A Biography

I bought a region free DVD player so I could watch things like The Private Life of Plants, which I bought from the UK. I got the whole Planet Earth collection maybe two years ago when someone posted a deal on Amazon for Earth Day.

I write them twice a year demanding they release the PLoP for the US market. With all the hoopla over Blue Planet etc I can't understand why they wouldn't want to ride that wave. Our vids are almost worn out :glare:.

Ps. what brand DVD, is it good, where did you get it, and how much did it cost.

I write them twice a year demanding they release the PLoP for the US market. With all the hoopla over Blue Planet etc I can't understand why they wouldn't want to ride that wave. Our vids are almost worn out :glare:.

As a British expat in the US we brought all our DVD's over with us.

You don't need a fancy DVD player to play other encoded DVD's, our's cost about $30- $40 from Walmart.

You simply put in a code which will remove the region coding and let you play any DVD you want. It's legal to do this (just as it is to sell region free DVD players) but it may render your warranty invalid, we did it anyway :001_smile:

Most DVD players can be hacked, maybe even your existing one, check the listing here for your current one or before you buy a new one.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/.

Failing that your laptop may allow you to play overseas DVD's.

Not a series (at least not that I'm aware of :tongue_smilie: ) But what about Microcosmos?

Or for "series" what about all the David Attenborough stuff like Life in the Undergrowth & Life?

Sorry if any has been mentioned, my brains dropped dead, and I'm about to go to bed ;)

Edit: Whoops, Meant to add The Life of Mammals and not life LOL

Edited by Ecclecticmum
Linked the wrong link :p

I got it from Bombay Electronics in Chicago; they ship. It's a dual voltagePioneer and it came with both sorts of cords (US and the round two pronged european or UK style). I think it cost around $70 or something. I don't use it as my main player, but it successfully played region 1 dvds from the library that weren't working on my regular, cheap dvd player, I don't know why. It seems a bit flimsy somehow but it's still working fine for my light usage. I think all Australian dvd players are region free, so I think some places import from there. Anyway I didn't have to input any codes with it but I'm not honestly sure if it has a warranty. However I have had zero problems with it.

I bought a bunch of dvds from amazon uk including the plants one. The few they wouldn't ship to the US, I bought from ebay sellers who would. One had a strange name with the word "hen" in it, I think!