Menu

Looking for a great blender for smoothies

I have a regular blender, but it just doesn't puree foods smooth. I'm looking for a blender to make great smoothies for my ds with crohn's. He is able to drink veggies/fruit better than eating them.

Any suggestions? I've seen the Ninja Bullet, Ninja Kitchen System, Vitamix...I'm sure there are others.

What do you use and why do you love it! Or why do you not like yours.

Thanks!

I have an Oster bee hive and a Vitamix.

I use the Oster more than the Vitamix, because I can toss the glass jar in the dishwasher and it is easier to get to in my kitchen. We also have the milkshake jar that goes with it and the kids use that often.

If you want a regular blender, get one with a minmal 400hp motor (should say on the box) and glass jar. I have been very happy with Osters quality and customer service. I had one blender that they eventually discontinue because it had a defective electric readout. The replaced it twice with just a phone call to the company.

My Oster blends ice, fruit, veggies and just about anything I throw at it. It takes a bit longer than the Vitamix but it still works great. We use it daily, if not more than once a day and it has never failed blend just as smooth as the VItamix.

If I was going to add seeds, grains, nuts....I would use the Vitamix more, but for regular smoothies, the price difference isn't worth the extra 15 seconds of blend time to get the same results.

One month ago, I was looking for a blender for the same purpose (making smoothies and milkshakes) and my anemic little Hamilton Beach just wasn't cutting it anymore...not that it ever really did!

I considered the Vitamix, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of money strictly for a smoothie maker. After reading the strong recommendation by Rosy on another "blender thread," I purchased the Ninja Professional 900 Watt at Wal Mart for either $89 or $99. It is utterly amazing! It will turn full size ice cubes into snow cone like crystals or snow-like powder in approximately ten seconds or less. Once the ice has been crushed, we add in lots of frozen fruits and everything mixes beautifully and the end product is very smooth and creamy.

One of my daughters uses it for green smoothies and it does a wonderful job of pureeing the green veggies as well. We simply love this blender and couldn't be happier with our purchase.:001_smile:

HTH,

Jen

I agree with everyone else - Vitamix is the bomb. I love that you can just the "tamper" to get everything pushed down to the blades. That really, really helps to make sure everything is blended smooth. And the motor is powerful.

We bought ours at Costco, on one of their road shows. If you have a membership, you might look into their web site to see if they show a schedule. The price was definitely less buying through them.

I bought a Ninja at Kohls a few months back when I broke my blender/food processor. It was their $199 model, but was $149 when I got to the register. It has a big pitcher and a little pitcher and works great! I use it for just about anything* chopped or puréed, including smoothies.

(*there are some things that are just easier to use an immersion blender for)

One month ago, I was looking for a blender for the same purpose (making smoothies and milkshakes) and my anemic little Hamilton Beach just wasn't cutting it anymore...not that it ever really did!

I considered the Vitamix, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of money strictly for a smoothie maker. After reading the strong recommendation by Rosy on another "blender thread," I purchased the Ninja Professional 900 Watt at Wal Mart for either $89 or $99. It is utterly amazing! It will turn full size ice cubes into snow cone like crystals or snow-like powder in approximately ten seconds or less. Once the ice has been crushed, we add in lots of frozen fruits and everything mixes beautifully and the end product is very smooth and creamy.

One of my daughters uses it for green smoothies and it does a wonderful job of pureeing the green veggies as well. We simply love this blender and couldn't be happier with our purchase.:001_smile:

HTH,

Jen

I am glad to hear this! My Vitamix burnt out a couple of years back and I am having a hard tme justifying the cost simply for smoothies, which is all I really used it for other than home made baby food.

I love our Ninja Master Prep! It comes in 3 sizes and the large one has been perfect for smoothies. Our old blender had blades on the bottom only. If you look at this one, the blades are all the way up and down the center pole. This allows our frozen fruit to be chopped up easily. I bought it just for smoothies, but I have found it easier than the food processor for many other things as well and I've used all three sizes many times.

Consumer reports rated it right up there with the Vitamix but it's much cheaper.

Here's a link to a review: http://www.consumerqueen.com/lang/en-us/product-review/ninja-master-prep#axzz21H29iuJA

And, love it. It really does make great smoothies and was a good compromise. I was glad to get the recommendations for the Ninja. With all our medical bills I just don't have the money for a Vita Mix right now.

Thanks for all the feedback!