Menu

Son loathes Rod and Staff Grammar

He's begged not to do R & S anymore...doesn't think analytical grammar has enough instruction nor does the online grammar program mentioned in some of the old posts. Grammar 101 or something similar.

We need something complete and with the ability to include it as grammar in our English 9 credit. I need it to be independent if at all possible, oh yes, and cheap wouldn't hurt.

Thanks.

btw - he didn't like Abeka either. Maybe he just doesn't like grammar!!! ya think? :)

joy of joys - he's going through this same thing on me with biology :glare:

I was going to recommend ABeka. The only other thing I can think of is Easy Grammar, but I don't think it is as deep as ABeka or R&S, though I'm not a grammar expert.

It might be one of those things that he needs to choose the program that he dislikes the least.

Cindy

to recommend Abeka as well! Perhaps he doesn't like grammar! ;)

That's OK, though. It may not be a question of which text he likes, but of which text he has less dislike towards. You might try asking him, perhaps something like, "We need to do grammar, and I need to find out which text you like best or which one you learn the most from?" and take it from there.

HTH!

What level of R&S have you completed? I'd probably be *mean* and make him do the grammar sections through book 8. However, I don't think you have to do every single exercise....I have my dc do a few of each section. If they demonstrate that they understand, they're done.

FWIW, there are some things in life that just have to be tolerated. This might be one of them.

Are you sure he needs more grammar? At the high school level, the emphasis should be more on literature and composition, with only enough grammar as needed.

If you're *sure* he needs more, I say go with Easy Grammar and call it a day. Short and to the point, and it might pull all of his grammar together, KWIM? Or maybe even Daily Grams, if he's been doing R&S up to now.

He's begged not to do R & S anymore... We need something complete... I need it to be independent if at all possible, oh yes, and cheap wouldn't hurt.

My dd#2, youngest child, did not like R&S at all; she, too, begged. But once I put her on Voyages in English, she began enjoying grammar and really applying it to her everyday life... well, and ours too. (ie- correcting grammar in her personal life and in the lives of others).

Go to http://www.emmanuelbooks.com and check out their grammar. Specifically look for Voyages in English (gr.7&8) and also Warriners English Grammar and Composition 3rd Course (gr.9).

Emmanuel's phone service is excellent. Call them and explain what level your son is working. They will be happy to advise which of these 3 levels would work best for him.

Emmanuel's prices:

*Voyages in English, text & te manual... $23. per gr. level

*Warriner's text & answer key... $25.

Dd#2 just graduated but I'm keeping my Voyages and my Warriners. That's how much I love them. Oh, she also went through Easy Grammar Plus before Voyages. Voyages was a definite step up from EGP so I'm guessing that EGP was about a gr.6 level(?) One more thing (sorry). Voyages has a very slight Catholic flavor. We are not Catholic but did not find anything offensive, esp not for a high schooler.

HTH for a couple of other options to view.

Have you looked at Jensen's? It's on the rigorous side (more than a lesson per day) if you do it over a year, but it has a two year plan also.

Recently, there was another grammar program mentioned. I can't remember the name but will link the thread if I find it easily enough. It was just last week or so. I was a little worried about lack of practice problems for my own son, but it might be do-able with or without supplementation.

Where did I go when? Last night? To the grocery store :)

This morning, to the friend's who needed to be picked up for a sleepover, to drop off oldest at a farm for some helpful hand giving, then to the pool with the girls for a short 45 minutes before the baby got too hot. HAHA.

I'm balancing newborn and other children = and two of them just got stung by yellow jackets. So just now I've been running back and forth from the ice box to the living room couch for boo boo baggies.

Anyway - Anna, it's great to see your input back on this board. BTDT voices are sooo valuable to the rest of us.

As far as grammar - I'm going to look at it now. Thanks for all of the responses. I'll let him choose the lesser of the evil grammar books. i do think he still needs some. I don't have high hopes he'll actually "like" any of them but your posts help with perspective.

You hate it, but it works, so you do it and get it done.

:iagree:

My son hated it at the beginning of Level 6 - we are almost done and it has move up to tolerable but he has learned a lot!!! Sometimes it's good to stick with a good thing even if you hate it.