Menu

Our cruise is booked AND paid for

I just made the last payment for our upcoming "holy land" tour. My mom and I are taking Indy and Han Solo on the cruise this coming Sept/Oct. I happened to be looking on expedia back in May and it happened to be the last day of their kids free promo, so I went ahead and booked. I had until today to cancel with no penalties, so it wasn't that big of a risk except that I had to put down a deposit at the time. We're studying the ancients again this year, so I thought it would be the perfect time to do it and the price was amazing. I was nervous all day because I knew I had to pay it. I knew the day for the final payment was coming, but it makes me feel weird to drop a lot of money at once. :eek: I'm sure the memories will be worth every penny.

We leave from Civitavecchia, which is near Rome (we're spending 3 days in Rome) and sail to Egypt, Israel, Greece, Turkey and make a stop in Naples. It's 12 nights with 4 of those being at sea days. We do 2 nights in Egypt, so we're doing the overnight tour to Cairo, so we can see the pyramids, sphinx, and the King Tut exhibit at the Egyptian museum. We also do 2 days in Israel, and will be traveling to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. In Turkey we're going to Ephesus, in Greece we're going to Athens (of course!) and in Naples we'll go back to Pompeii.

Indy is over the moon excited. He keeps saying it's going to be the most "epic" field trip ever. He's already made a list of things he has to carry in his Indiana Jones bag and thinking about photo ops. :001_smile:

We're so sad that James Bond won't be able to go with us though. We had such a good time on our last cruise together, but we told Indy that we'll try to do another one when JB gets back from Afghanistan.

My mom is driving me crazy though. She keeps going on about how we're going to stick out in Egypt, but I've assured her that we will not be the only 4 people out of the 4000+ on the cruise who will be getting off the ship. :tongue_smilie:

Only 76 days until we sail! Now that it's paid for I can start getting excited.

P.S. What line/ship?

Royal Caribbean on the Mariner of the Seas.

Why would you "stick out" in Egypt more than anywhere else?

I guess because we are so very, very pale. I'm not sure why Egypt is such a big deal, but maybe because of all the political unrest. The people in Turkey, Israel, Greece and Italy aren't exactly pale, but for some reason she's not that concerned about them. :confused:

I'm excited for you! We were fortunate enough to be able to go on a cruise to Greece and Turkey last summer. It was awesome! What a wonderful experience for your children. I'm positive that MY mother would drive me crazy on a venture like this, hope all goes well for you:)

If your mom is really worried, she should wear a head dress. Have fun! We leave for our cruise to the exotic Canada today!!!

LOL! I offered to buy her a burka but she wouldn't go for it. On some of the tours we actually do have to wear head scarves or we can't go in. Fortunately, I have a closet full of scarves, so we'll just pack a few of those.