Menu

can FB say you did something on FB when you didn't...

My dd is friends with me on FB. She has been away for almost two weeks. Her camp is quite rustic and does not permit electronics besides digital cameras. It's an academic program focused on natural sciences, truly emphasizing observing nature in the natural environment.

This morning my FB feed say my dd was doing a "game" called 21 questions last night. The campers do not have access to computers of any kind. When they need to research something the camp has a small (tiny) library. They write reports by hand. There's no cell reception in this place. There is a landline and I believe there is internet in the camp director's office.

My dd gets on FB maybe once a month, so if she did suddenly have internet access I would be surprised if FB was the first site she chose to visit.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that my newsfeed is saying she was active late last night.

Also I believe in that game other people can "answer" questions about you and it tags you to let you know. It could be that she has a FB friend who tagged her in the game.

If you are concerned about either her or someone else logging in when they shouldn't be, you can go into her account settings and set it up so that every new device has to be authorized/named, and so that you get a notification of every new device that logs in. If she or someone else logs in away from home, it would email you. Won't help stop whatever might have already happened, but will alert you if anything odd comes up in the future.

Sounds like someone logged in as her. There are also a couple of games that post for you whether you are active in them or not.

One of my brothers was in prison for a year. He had a game that kept updating on his wall every few days (it was timed evenly, so must've been computerized. Someone did have his password, but I don't believe they were playing games on it, just using it to spy on the sisters when our stepmother passed away).

That happened to my sister before. My feed said she had been playing a game but there is no way she could have been because she was with me and neither of us had logged onto FB for days! I don't know why that happened.

At least for that particular game, yes. It will post things for the person. It comes up on my feed sometimes saying my son has posted something when I KNOW he hasn't been on the computer for a couple of weeks. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm going to make him delete that one today. Thanks! :001_smile:

My DH's news feed often shows him having viewed a "picture of the day". It once even posted that he had "just viewed" that picture when he was laying on the bed next to me fast asleep. I'm not sure which app on his FB is doing that, and he hasn't taken the time to find out yet.

I'm sure your daughter was just tagged in the game, but it does remind me of the time my son was at music camp in the woods where no electronics were allowed.

I saw him checking in from camp on his FB page.

It turned out that a professor was bragging about how the Internet at camp was completely blocked for students. Ds bet he could post on FB and logged in before he even got back to his seat.

At least his professor really paid him the $10 bet.

So I believe your daughter was not on FB, but in the same situation, I would not believe my son for one second.

This is why I have a barely-tolerate/hate relationship with FB. I swear FB sent a birthday greeting from me to a woman I know just a little bit. She came up to me in church and went on at length about how much it meant to her (it was a difficult birthday). She felt really embarrassed once it became obvious that I didn't know what she was referring to. FB made both of us feel like FOOLS. I still hate FB for that.

Some games and apps have a check box that says "allow access to post on your behalf" and "access your profile and friends" or something to that extent. I know some of these games and apps are just virus in disguise. They do post randomly and often information that is not accurate.

For example I had one that posted my top profile viewers. It posted multiple things on my wall listing people I don't. I deleted the app and it stopped.