Menu

cloth diaper question

I have diapered both my kids in cloth, and have another on the way. I need a recommendation for a cover for the first week or so, when the stump is still on. With my son we used proraps newborn, and those worked well. But my daughter was too big for them at 9lbs, and we had to use xs thirties. They rubbed the stump and it ended up all gross and disgusting. Is there another newborn cover that works well while they still have the stump?

My favorite were the wool type and it was easy to just fold it down and pin. Dang I'm trying to remember the name. They were the kind with snaps not a pull on

I used wool wraps too. Mine were made for us by my sweet aunt-in-law. I used snappies to close them without snagging shockingly. I LOVE those covers!!

I used the XS/NB size of Classic Proraps with my 3. They have an umbilical dip on the front.

Yes, that's what I used with my son, but my daughter was too big for them the day she was born...she was 9lbs and her rolls had rolls.

Check my link above. But also have you thought about using an AIO type? Like fuzzy bunz? They are easy to fold the front down and pin.

I do like the look of those wool ones, and will order a few....but the price is a bit hefty, lol. I do have some one size pocket diapers, I'm just not sure they will fit a newborn well....but that is a good idea to try. I hadn't thought of folding them and pinning them down.

I liked the nylon pull-on covers for the newborn stage. I liked Dappis and Bummis. The Bummis were called Whisper Pants. When my youngest was born, the only covers that worked while he still had his stump were the pull-ons. The wraps rubbed it funny, even though he was 9 lb. The nylon pull-ons are not crinkly and brittle like the gerber vinyl ones. They are soft and hold up very well.

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/dappi-nylon-pants-2pack.html

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/bummis-whisper-pant-diaper-cover.html

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I do like the look of those wool ones, and will order a few....but the price is a bit hefty, lol. I do have some one size pocket diapers, I'm just not sure they will fit a newborn well....but that is a good idea to try. I hadn't thought of folding them and pinning them down.

Yeah, they are. I have found though that baby really can stretch the size limit of those ones

Yup...me too. Loved these. I actually just gave them to a friend who is just had a baby. She really likes them as well.

Yes, but they are just too small....my under 8lb son fit in them perfectly, but my 9lb roly poly daughter was too big for them at birth.

I don't remember last time with dd1 I couldn't use cd's until she was a month old, due to the house fire and not having my own laundry. I think we might have just done prefolds folded down along with the covers folded a bit as well. IIRC the cord only lasted 3 days or so though.

I used Thirsties Duo Wraps when YDS was a newborn. I moved to pockets when he was a month old and used mostly Rumparooz and BumGenius.

We used those with my daughter, the Thirsties, but they did come up over the cord...she was short and fat, and if this baby is the same I bet I have the same problem. I think the Rumperooz newborn covers will work, because they have an adjustable rise...so I can put it on the shorter rise to avoid the stump but they still go up to 12lbs so the baby had BETTER fit in them, lol.

We used Thirsties and Proraps, but I'm thinking we used the older version of BumGenius on them as newborns too (2.0? 3.0?), before they moved to snaps instead of velcro. The tops sort of curled out away from their cord stumps, especially for my oldest, who was a tank at birth.