Menu

Anybody Use Standing Desks?

I'm thinking of getting one for DS1 who is rather fidgety. I've found two online:

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM8505/products_id/PRO20475?sc_cid=Google_SAF-1201BE&adtype=pla&kw=&CAWELAID=1238970511

or

http://www.schoolsin.com/ABC-ABAX-Sit-Stand-Desk.html

Have you used either or do you have any recommendations??

TIA:)

DH switched to a stand up desk about a year ago. He loves standing. :001_huh:

I had not considered using one for the kiddo, though - what a good idea for a fidgety boy.

No experience on either of those models in particular, just wanted to say that DH's experience with a stand up desk has been very good.

My hubby is a med student and has used one for a year. He did all this research and modified our dresser into one to make sure he liked it. Then, a few months ago, he turned a regular desk into one using some hinges, cinderblocks, and bricks. He swears by them. If you research "Ikea hacks standing desk" he found lots and lots of ones you can make with Ikea pieces that look pretty nice. In fact, he made a Pinterest board of ones he found. Here's the link to his Pinterest.

One good idea I've seen is to just build a sturdy shelf right into the wall for a desk. It's probably the most inexpensive and customizable option.

Edited by MeaganS

I want one, because of back pain if I sit too much, but they're expensive and we're hoping to move, so maybe in the new place. Right now I put the laptop on top of a tall dresser, and that works okay. This has some reviews & info - the more I find out, the more I'm inclined to go in this direction.

I never thought of it for the kids, but I guess it might stop them falling out of their chairs all the time, or at least let me stop reminding them to sit like humans. I don't know if a standing desk would work for them, though - is there a dancing desk, twirling desk, or standing on your head desk? ;)

Edited by K&Rs Mom

I'm thinking of getting one for DS1 who is rather fidgety.

When I tried fidget boy at the tall counter, instead of wiggling in his seat he was dancing and wandering off. I'd try something improvised before shelling out for one.

Have you thought about those seats for wigglers? I think Laura used one.

Another, cheaper option would be to get an over the bed, hospital type table. I have one for my laptop, because I can't type on my lap but still wanted to be mobile. I can wheel it around the house, raise up enough to use the computer in bed, or raise it waaaay high to be a "standing" desk. I think it cost me about $50, and I ordered it through Amazon. HTH!

Another, cheaper option would be to get an over the bed, hospital type table. I have one for my laptop, because I can't type on my lap but still wanted to be mobile. I can wheel it around the house, raise up enough to use the computer in bed, or raise it waaaay high to be a "standing" desk. I think it cost me about $50, and I ordered it through Amazon. HTH!

I like this idea!

I used one for a couple of years. I didn't actually buy one, I just used a built-in bar-height counter. I loved it! I currently don't have a great place for one. Well, I guess I wouldif I got rid of my big ole sit down desk!

I had a business friend who installed one in his office. He said he felt waaaaay more alert and productive. The stand up desk allowed him the space to also place a small (think 4 person round) conference table in his office, which he used for meetings and an occasional spread-out project. This friend is very active and "high up" in his field, so it's a high usage office. He is the one that inspired me, but he claimed inspiration from Ben Franklin! In fact, my friend was so excited he once mentioned the possibility of reintroducing them to the market. Hey, now I am curious. I am going to follow your links and see if one of them leads to him!