Menu

I hate how much Amazon remembers

There is a place on Amazon to tell them to stop showing previously viewed items.

Go to *Your Account* - scroll to the bottom of that page to *Personalized Content* - and you should be able to stop it from showing your viewing history.

You can also sign out and use an incognito window to try and keep viewing history private.

HTH

Edited by MicheleinMN

There is a place on Amazon to tell them to stop showing previously viewed items.

Go to *Your Account* - scroll to the bottom of that page to *Personalized Content* - and you should be able to stop it from showing your viewing history.

You can also sign out and use an incognito window to try and keep viewing history private.

HTH

Good to know. DH and I share an acct because we have Prime. He has a wish list titled "DON'T LOOK" that is gift ideas for me, but the history thing is a nuisance.

Good to know. DH and I share an acct because we have Prime. He has a wish list titled "DON'T LOOK" that is gift ideas for me, but the history thing is a nuisance.
My husband and I have separate accounts and use prime.

"Prime members under a free trial or paid subscription can share their shipping benefits with up to 4 additional family members living in the same household, or up to 4 coworkers to shop for the related account. Other Prime membership benefits such as Prime instant video and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library can't be shared.

To invite family members to share your Amazon Prime membership, sign in to Your Account and click on the link to "Manage Prime Membership." You'll see your current membership details, the status of all members linked to your Amazon Prime membership, and options to add or remove members."

HTH

We have the same problem. I've tried deleting too and it doesn't always help. I'll need to try this too!

Sometimes people post a link to amazon without saying what it is so I've clicked on some things that I would never normally view. My amazon will be filled with 'you might like' items that have nothing to do with me! I should ask dh if he ever notices and wonders...

HTH

I swear I've done this!! Similar items still show up. Harumph.

My husband and I have separate accounts and use prime.

"Prime members under a free trial or paid subscription can share their shipping benefits with up to 4 additional family members living in the same household, or up to 4 coworkers to shop for the related account. Other Prime membership benefits such as Prime instant video and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library can't be shared.

To invite family members to share your Amazon Prime membership, sign in to Your Account and click on the link to "Manage Prime Membership." You'll see your current membership details, the status of all members linked to your Amazon Prime membership, and options to add or remove members."

Oh, that's even better. Maybe I'll make him open his own account then, :lol:

I'm playing with Amazon. I want to look at things, buy things and then have no record of that. Why is that not possible?? If it is, I can't figure it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=13316081#yourbrowsing

Excerpt (links not included):

How do I clear my recent history?

To clear your recent history, visit Your Browsing History and click the "Delete this item" link located next to each item. To remove all items, click the "Delete All" button in the left column.

How do I opt out of Your Browsing History and having my recent history displayed?

We hope you find Your Browsing History useful. If you do not enjoy this feature and want to turn it off, click here.

How do I opt out of having my Amazon Associate Websites browsing history collected?

We keep a record of your visits to Amazon Associate website pages that have Amazon.com content links on them. Among other things, we use this information to better personalize your Web experience and improve our Amazon services. The information we collect is subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice.

If you do not want us to keep a record of the Amazon Associate websites you visit, you may opt-out of such information collection by clicking here. After you opt-out, we will no longer collect or use this information. However all previously collected information will be retained by our systems to better personalize your Web experience and improve our Amazon services.

I don't think it's unreasonable that Amazon keeps track of your purchases from them. How else could you return items?

I don't mind having the "you might like" suggestions (based on previous purchases), etc. popping up, because sometimes they are useful. However, I DON'T want my dc seeing it, especially around gift-giving time!

I just make sure that I log out of my account when I am finished, even on my own Ipod because they do play games on it, etc. That way, if they search Amazon, my searches won't show up; they'll only be in my own account.

Dh doesn't order from Amazon, and I never search for anything for him there anyway, so that aspect wouldn't be an issue.

you can have seperate accounts with prime. I am the "primary" (paid) prime member and can invite four other people to join my prime account. My daughters, one son, and dh all are on my prime account, and they all have their own amazon accounts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=13316081#yourbrowsing

Excerpt (links not included):

I don't think it's unreasonable that Amazon keeps track of your purchases from them. How else could you return items?

that's different that tracking purchases which will always be there under "my orders" (which requires a password even if signed in. but then I turned off one-click) - they are tracking what you LOOK at so they can "make suggestions" of new things to buy. view history can be deleted, but I wish I could delete in a lump instead of one at a time.

that's different that tracking purchases which will always be there under "my orders" (which requires a password even if signed in. but then I turned off one-click) - they are tracking what you LOOK at so they can "make suggestions" of new things to buy. view history can be deleted, but I wish I could delete in a lump instead of one at a time.

I'm not understanding how the following does not help your situation:

To clear your recent history, visit Your Browsing History and click the "Delete this item" link located next to each item. To remove all items, click the "Delete All" button in the left column.

We hope you find Your Browsing History useful. If you do not enjoy this feature and want to turn it off, click here.

If you mark it as a 'gift' they don't use it for your suggestions.