Menu

National Latin exam

DD12 would like to write the Intro to Latin national latin exam next year. She has not studied latin beyond a few chapters of prima latina in gr 3.

The intro level says it is for student who have done the first half of a latin I course.

So what courses would fit the bill of a latin I course? Does Latina Christiana teach enough? First form? Jump right to Henle I?

What latin course should I be choosing for next year that will teach her enough to write the into level exam?

My DD 13 took the test this past spring and did really well. We used Lively Latin Big Book I and II. The only real issues she had were cultural-type questions (e.g., What did Roman slaves wear?).

I think you could get a study guide for it and then work backwards from that to choose a program.

Good luck!

Lisa

My DD 13 took the test this past spring and did really well. We used Lively Latin Big Book I and II. The only real issues she had were cultural-type questions (e.g., What did Roman slaves wear?).

I think you could get a study guide for it and then work backwards from that to choose a program.

Good luck!

Lisa

Did she write the intro level or level I?

She took the Into exam with her 7th grade Latin class. Her school begins Latin in 7th grade, and we decide to leave her in the beginning class since it was her first time in a school setting (although she had been studying Latin at home since 4th grade).

Aside from a few vocabulary words, she didn't learn anything new last year. Most everything she knew she learned at home with LL BB1 & some of 2. Since your DD is older than mine was when we started, you could move though BB1 more quickly.

She took the Into exam with her 7th grade Latin class. Her school begins Latin in 7th grade, and we decide to leave her in the beginning class since it was her first time in a school setting (although she had been studying Latin at home since 4th grade).

Aside from a few vocabulary words, she didn't learn anything new last year. Most everything she knew she learned at home with LL BB1 & some of 2. Since your DD is older than mine was when we started, you could move though BB1 more quickly.

good to know. I will look into that program.

How did your dd score on the test?

My son (11) took the Intro exam last spring after completing First Form. He missed 3 questions. We printed out past exams and used those to practice...it was a fun addition to our Latin lessons. He also went through Famous Men of Rome last year. It was great to have that goal to work toward. I highly recommend First Form Latin.

Jana

DD12 would like to write the Intro to Latin national latin exam next year. She has not studied latin beyond a few chapters of prima latina in gr 3.

The intro level says it is for student who have done the first half of a latin I course.

So what courses would fit the bill of a latin I course? Does Latina Christiana teach enough? First form? Jump right to Henle I?

What latin course should I be choosing for next year that will teach her enough to write the into level exam?

My dd took Intro in 6th grade after using Latin Prep 1 and earned a gold. Last yr in 7th she took level 1 after finishing Latin Prep 2 (she finished LP 1 sometime around the NLE in 6th and started bk 2 in 6th grade) and ~5 chpts of SYRWTLLatin bk 2. She earned a gold last yr as well.

We have decided to switch to Artes Latinae. I bought levels 1 and 2 b/c her younger sister is going to be using 1. Dd started looking at level 2 and has recognized that she is going to have backtrack to the end of level 1 vs. jumping into their level 2.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Out of curiosity why did your dc want to take the exam? Or did you want them to and told them to?

We did it for lots of reasons:

For the kids:

a fun activity

For me:

to encourage them to consolidate their learning by studying for a cumulative test,

to quantify their learning and back up mommy grades

If you do well on the upper levels in high school & intend to major in Latin in college, you can apply for NLE scholarship money :)

Out of curiosity why did your dc want to take the exam? Or did you want them to and told them to?

My dd is very competitive. We were looking at the mythology exam stuff and she noticed the latin exam. After looking at it more she decided she wants to try simply to try and get a medal. For her it all comes down to the "bling"

My dd took Intro in 6th grade after using Latin Prep 1 and earned a gold. Last yr in 7th she took level 1 after finishing Latin Prep 2 (she finished LP 1 sometime around the NLE in 6th and started bk 2 in 6th grade) and ~5 chpts of SYRWTLLatin bk 2. She earned a gold last yr as well.

We have decided to switch to Artes Latinae. I bought levels 1 and 2 b/c her younger sister is going to be using 1. Dd started looking at level 2 and has recognized that she is going to have backtrack to the end of level 1 vs. jumping into their level 2.

HTH

where did you buy it from? It is not carried by my local homeschool store and not listed on RR that I can see.

where did you buy it from? It is not carried by my local homeschool store and not listed on RR that I can see.

LAtin prep is from Galore Park, you can get it from Horriblebooks.com I think that the other is Bochazy-carducci....I think HSBC has/had a group buy on that one recently.

BTW, I might be wrong about that one...

LAtin prep is from Galore Park, you can get it from Horriblebooks.com I think that the other is Bochazy-carducci....I think HSBC has/had a group buy on that one recently.

BTW, I might be wrong about that one...

That is correct. Artes latinae http://www.bolchazy.com/prod.php?cat=latin&id=6633 (HSBC had it 50% off recently)

Also, Latin Prep may be purchased from Book Depository w/free shipping.

We haven't done the NLEs yet, as my dd is still young enough to take the ELE. She took it and did well this year after PL and LCI. We will move into the NLEs after she is too old for the ELE.

Mine is also very competitive and actually does very well when doing outside activities. We do the science fair, enter projects in the state fair arts and crafts contests, do writing contests, and she enters lots of stories and things in magazines (she hasn't been published yet, but she keeps trying!) She just thrives on these types of things.

And I like that it gives us something besides mommy grades as well :)