Menu

What is your favorite Science for Kindy and/or 1st grade?

hsmomma

What is your favorite Science for Kindy and/or 1st grade? We are using MFW and that is just not enough science for us. I have usually put my own things together but I was wondering what you clever ladies have done. Many Thanks

I have olders but they are much older, one doing GS-Apologia 7th grade the other Health/Biology 2 12th grade. Then I have the youngers 1st, K and the toddler thus the science search. BFSU looks interesting.(after searching what is stands for:001_huh:) I had looked at it in the past but moved onto something else. Anyone else just building there own science curr? Or is BFSU really that good?

BFSU is really that good.

I have been using BFSU with my older kids, and I will start it with my K'er this coming year.

The "Let's Read and Find Out Science" books are a great supplement to (probably at your libarary), as is Zula Patrol on PBS.

Our daughter is just starting kindergarten. I saw someone mentioned doing BFSU with their older children...do they have books for olders? I just saw on Amazon the BFSU for K-2.

Also wondering if someone could tell me if it would be too much to do BFSU and elemental science (one more serious, one more fun) and alternate?

Which one has more hands-on projects etc? She is very crafts and, um, bug oriented. Likes to stir and mix things and all that. :)

Amy

DS did Singapore Start-Up Science in K and that was a nice little quick & easy intro to science. He needed a "transition" year between K & 1st and for that we used Mr. Q Life. He loved that so much that we're continuing on with Mr. Q Earth & Space next year for 1st.

We are doing Elemental Science and BFSU. We do ES as scheduled (we do 5-day schedule, but there is a two-day schedule) during our school time. We do BFSU in a much more organic way. I read through the whole book during our break, and am always on the lookout for opportunities to present topics or get DS's attention focused on a topic.

Those of you using BFSU with a kinder, how are you scheduling it? I've seen people doing everything from one lesson a week, with 4-5 times a week doing something on the topic, to one lesson a month and taking three years to go through the book.

With my rising K'er, I am planning to go through it in 3 years (K-2).

During weeks we don't do a BFSU lesson, we will read library science books (Let's Read and Find Out Science, animal books, etc.) and do science lapbooks from HOAC.