Menu

AAS standstill help!

happycc

My 8yr special learner is at a stand still with learning two letter phonograms. I need ideas to help her. We have played go fish. Didn't help. What else? We have been reviewing/reviewing/reviewing both phonogram and sound cards.

More games? IDEAS? Worksheets? We even took a two week break...no movement still.

We have both her sisters and I drilling her.

Maybe add in some art for her as well-stories to tell maybe?Like in sentence family?

Well, we paused AAS for a few months when we hit a jam and did the (free in Google books) Modern Speller for a few months, and now are back to AAS with our jam cleared. This is our second AAS block: for the first, I just kept reviewing what he knew and presenting a little of the new stuff until it started to stick; also did everything out loud for a bit. Also, practicing reading with the Phonics Pathways book helped a lot.

Don't know if this is esp. good advice, though ...

We use the cards with almost ANY game we play.

Candyland - answer one card for single color, two cards for double color before you move.

Checkers-I wrote phonograms on the board. You want to move there...say the sound! :)

If you have two sets of the cards you can play Memory, Old Maid, etc.

How about just adding one at a time until she really gets it?

Make it more kinesthetic...you say the sound, she writes it in sand/rice, stamp the letters...that might be even harder though than her coming up with the sound.

Maybe reverse roles, let her teach you!

and then they could hold the letter(s) as they said the sound. Perhaps you could have her make the letters. Have her figure out what letter or letters she needs for the sound, then have her make them with sculpy, then she could hold them in her hand when she practices.

It has helped with some of mine that had trouble with that.

Good luck.

Hot Lava Mama

Just finished 3rd grade with a struggling speller last year. I hated AAS and abandoned it in favor of daily journal entries in addition to WWE. After she would write in her journal, I would look over her misspelled words and pick a topic to go over based on in-context words she was misspelling (and apparently inclined to use.)

Her spelling improved much faster than it was with AAS. I did have her continue to use the AAS tiles as that seemed to be helpful for visualizing. It's not as if she just made no progress with AAS, but the progress *did not stick* if it came to spelling outside the context of the spelling program. This is the problem we have had with every spelling program we've tried. Every year so far, additional time spent reading and writing (and getting responses to writing) has been more effective than any formal program.

We are on to Phonetic Zoo this year (even though it is marketed for 3rd grade, I did not think my struggling speller was ready for it last year. This year, yes.) I hope it's a great fit because DD is an auditory learner BIG TIME.

That wasn't very helpful, sorry, just sharing my experience. I understand the frustration with the standstill. My struggling speller is probably never going to spell as well as I think she should (she's mildly dyslexic) so my primary goal is to see steady improvement, and it wasn't happening with AAS.

Edited by zenjenn

My oldest (8yo with speech delays) got really stuck on blends about half way through level one. We found game ideas and just used those for about two weeks before she finally started getting it and we could move on. I will say that aas helped a lot with her confidence in spelling. She had very little spelling skill before. In just a few months she made a big leal. Still issues of course but at least she can spell some now!

Maybe the small phonovisual chart?

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?id=207

Don Potter really likes them. He says having the students look up the sounds themselves is very helpful and eventually they learn the sounds, with some students taking longer than others.

They also have a consonant chart.

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?id=205

aw, au mainly....

also can't do the dictations for ai,ay,oi,oy

Interesting, my son had the hardest time remembering aw/au and ow/ou.

We solved it by coming up with a mini story. We’d pull down the AW and say “awwww….too bad….†He came up with something bad that happened to the AW tile — it got stepped on or something, for pretend. For the next week, every time we pulled down the tile or reviewed the flashcard, we both said “awwww….†very sadly.

Then we linked the AU to the AW. That came easy, after the AW story was cemented in his brain.

The OU phonogram also involved some violence. (This was a boy! Although I don't think my dd would have minded.) There was a fight, and the sounds went like this: “OWW!!! OH!!! OOOOO! uh.†The last sound (/uh/) was the sound of getting hit in the gut. I don’t know if this will translate well in writing. icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g That solidified those sounds for him.

For tricky phonograms, do whatever it takes. Be theatrical. Make up a funny story involving the phonogram. Let the child improve upon it and make it her own.

You said she has trouble with the dictations for ai/ay, oi/oy--does that mean that when she sees the phonograms or hears the sounds she can do them, but she struggles using them in dictation sentences? If that's right, what does she do instead--is she leaving out a letter or subbing in a different phonogram or something else?

Hang in there! Merry :-)

I am not that far along (and not using AAS) with my 8 y.o. but when I do try to teach the sounds, I make up stories.

For the long "A" sounds, I said that the "ey" making the A sound was "e-wanna be"; I tried to come up with funny ideas for as many of the sounds as I could. I do use Elizabeth's chart for my reference.

I am using the charts from Sound City for my 6 y.o. http://soundcityreading.com/scrwebsite7-11-09_005.htm

You may have to dig around to get the materials you need. The program tells a story to go with each sound, then the flash cards match the story to the sound. (The cards' pictures don't always make sense if you don't know the story.)

I also like the printables and charts from Sparklebox.

I think I downloaded the printables I use from Teachers Pay Teachers or maybe abcteach.com

Basically, you want phoneme or diagraph "picture cards."

aw, au mainly....

also can't do the dictations for ai,ay,oi,oy

I have friends that SWEAR by Wordy Worm for this stuff...but that is a reading program, not spelling. NOt sure if you would need that. But 4 year olds are learning the digraphs and such easily with the songs.

well my older daughters and I came up with these two ideas while we were roasting at the water slides today.

A and U got married in the middle of the park. "AWWW isn';t that cute?"

A and W were best friends to the end of their life. "Awww isn't that nice!"

Maybe I will have her draw pictures of this.

I am sure someone here can be even more creative.

well my older daughters and I came up with these two ideas while we were roasting at the water slides today.

A and U got married in the middle of the park. "AWWW isn';t that cute?"

A and W were best friends to the end of their life. "Awww isn't that nice!"

Maybe I will have her draw pictures of this.

I am sure someone here can be even more creative.

LOL, I love girl stories vs. boy stories! Great job & hopefully it will help. They do eventually get it.

My dd used to forget the first sound of U all the time. She'd say, "uhhhh," and I'd say, "That's the first sound!" We laugh now, but it was 2 years of doing that! (We kept going & kept reviewing that one). I don't know why some are harder than others for them. Eventually it stuck though.