Menu

Do you remember me posting about my IBS, terrible stomach issues, etc? I think i have

..solved it!

About two months ago, posted here aboutongoing stomach issues, terrible pain, nausea, vomiting and other digestive issues....i had a colonoscopy,which showed nothing. I went gluten free for 3 months with little improvement. I already ate well, worked out, lowered my stress levels, meditated, etc. nothing was working. I knew that the pain was very, very severe during two distinct times of my cycle...during ovulation for 5 days, and prior to my menses for 3 days. Smetimes i would be up at night crying from the pain, vomiting (and this is someone who had a 40 hour labor with no painkillers, so i know pain!)

AywAy, when i mentiond to doc about the pattern he dismissed it as having no relationship. I spoke to my ob and she said that during your cycle, inflammatory hormones which cause menstrual cramps can also cause pain in the digesive system. I asked if birth control pills would help. I have never been on them, and dont like the idea of them, but seriously, i was desperate.

Anyway, long story short. I started the pills, and the midcycle pain disappeared, but not the end of cycle pain. That was as bad as ever. I looked into doing continual bc pills, and doc was willing to try. It has been over a month and No PAIN AT ALL. i am eating whatever i want, as long as i dont overeat, and am fine. No pain, no vomitig, nothing. Doc recommends having a period every 3 months or so, and i will reluctantly do this in two weeks. I am nervous, but pain once every three months is better than twice a month for almost two weeks total.

Wanted to share in case others have ibs like symptoms that come and go. My life is s much better now. I was in bed with a hot water bottle for days before, it was truly awful.

Have you ever heard of epiploic appendagitis? Neither had we until my dd went to the ER last week with stabbing abdominal pain and vomiting. They found it when doing a

CAT scan to rule out ovarian cysts, kidney stones, and appendicitis. Despite the name and the incredible pain (often requiring meds), it is "harmless" and will heal itself. I mention it because the dr. said it is not uncommon for people to have it and never know.

I'm glad you found the source of your pain! I just wanted to mention this because I've never seen the condition mentioned on the Hive before. ;)

Those are classic symptoms of endometriosis. You might want to bring that up at your next OB-Gyn visit and see what she thinks.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

:iagree: That's what I was going to say. :001_smile:

Wanted to share in case others have ibs like symptoms that come and go. My life is s much better now. I was in bed with a hot water bottle for days before, it was truly awful.

I had vomiting and diarrhea cyclically for years, but thank goodness it went away as my cycles became more "elderly". However, I never had a doubt as to the cause. I used naproxen, low dose until "the Pill" became low dose enough for me to tolerate. Also, since I wasn't using the Pill for birth control (I'd had my tubes tied), I lowered the dose even more: I'd take it two days, skip one, two days, skip one. I did it to save money, but it worked at that lower dose without spotting. Just FYI.

Edited by kalanamak

I'm so glad that you found a solution. Do you think it was ovarian cysts?

Ob said it could be. Could be endo too. I didnt want to pay for the necessary diagnostic tests, and she said if the bc pills work, that's good enough for her.