Menu

Calling all Americans living abroad....

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. What country do you live in now? Why did you choose that country?

2. Is this your first time living outside the U.S.? If not, where else have you lived?

3. Why did you choose to move/live outside the U.S.?

4. How do you feel about it? Do you enjoy it or wish you could come back?

5. How long do you plan to stay outside the U.S.?

Dh and I have a possible option of living and working in another country and I was hoping to get some input from you ladies! Thanks!

New Zealand

2. Is this your first time living outside the U.S.? If not, where else have you lived?

Yes.

Change of environment, slower pace, beautiful country.

During the planning stage, I was excited and looking forward to seeing New Zealand. When we got here, I regretted it because it was just too far from my big extended family and things were just too different from the U.S. I think I was just too old to make a drastic move. And I just don't have a flexible personality enough to enjoy this kind of thing. I wanted to go back to the U.S. soooo bad I started to get very grouchy and unpleasant to be around. Anyway, after several years, I decided to just be content. I started to look at this place as home and found my niche I guess. I like it now and could stay here forever as long as we could visit the U.S. every several years! On a side note, living outside the U.S. gives you a better perspective, I think, of the world... that there are lots of places that are nice to live in besides the U.S. if you're willing to experience different things.

No plan. Just being flexible here was the key for me. As of matter of fact, we're planning to go back for a while.....

That's my experience. Have fun planning!:001_smile:

We live in Europe...Germany. The military sent us here.

2. Is this your first time living outside the U.S.? If not, where else have you lived? No..we lived in Seoul, South Korea for 2 years. Again..military.

3. Why did you choose to move/live outside the U.S.? Military..but given the choice with retirement (contractor job), were going to try and stay in Europe. It's beautiful here with so many great opportunities for travel. I feel really blessed.

We absolutely love it here. Don't like living on post, the last three years we lived in a small German town with only German neighbors. It was awesome and they are wonderful people!

5. How long do you plan to stay outside the U.S.? This will be our 4th year in a row outside the US...while I love the US...I like raising my children in Europe. I felt much safer in my little community than I did ever living in a military community. The German people are a very respectful bunch. They don't bother you, mess with your stuff or stir up trouble. I can't say enough good stuff about living here.

Fascination with China/culture and philosophy.

First did a summer abroad whilst at university. Have lived in the UK and various places in Asia

Just interested in the world.

I've gone back to the US a few times, but have always come back overseas. I am now planning to move to the UK (Laura's home country). I am very glad to have had the experiences of the last thirty years.

Well, we are settling in Scotland, probably for the rest of our lives.

Dh and I have a possible option of living and working in another country and I was hoping to get some input from you ladies! Thanks!

Best wishes

Laura

I think the questions you should be asking yourself are questions like:

Are we adaptable? Can we live with less space or less amenities than we have at the moment (depending on where you are thinking of moving)?

Are you moving military, company relocation with assoc. perks, or directly working for a foreign company/university? Each one is a different financial scenario.

Can you live without a support system in place for a short period of time until you adjust to your new environment (for non-military)? Are you an introvert or shy? That could limit your possibilities for making community in a new place especially if you don't speak the language.

I hope it doesn't sound gloom and doom because we've enjoyed living abroad. But I won't say it was all roses and fun. It's something that I think everyone should do if they can, but do with eyes wide open. The first year was the hardest but there have been many rewards too.

I think the questions you should be asking yourself are questions like:

Are we adaptable? Can we live with less space or less amenities than we have at the moment (depending on where you are thinking of moving)?

Are you moving military, company relocation with assoc. perks, or directly working for a foreign company/university? Each one is a different financial scenario.

Can you live without a support system in place for a short period of time until you adjust to your new environment (for non-military)? Are you an introvert or shy? That could limit your possibilities for making community in a new place especially if you don't speak the language.

I hope it doesn't sound gloom and doom because we've enjoyed living abroad. But I won't say it was all roses and fun. It's something that I think everyone should do if they can, but do with eyes wide open. The first year was the hardest but there have been many rewards too.

:iagree: We have lived overseas and these questions are great to ask yourself in making the decision. I love living overseas and we plan on moving overseas again soon, hopefully! I would say be prepared that the first six month/year are a difficult adjustment period, but also be prepared that you will have that same adjustment when you come back to the states(this adjustment was far worse for us). That said, living overseas is a wonderful experience and I wouldn't change it for the world, plus now I know how to speak spanish! Hope that helps!

These replies are great! We are looking into teaching opportunities abroad in International Christian schools that serve missionary kids and expats. There are a lot of different country options but we would probably pick something in South America (Ecuador is a possibilty) as I speak Spanish already. We would be hired by an American company to go over there and would be working with others like ourselves as well as nationals so there would be some built-in "community".

I think the question you mentioned on "flexibility" is a good one. I can live without a Target nearby but I am unsure of things like internet access, etc. I love the idea of experiencing something outside the U.S. and think it would be a great experience for my kids. I grew up in a small town and lived there my whole life until a year ago. I don't want my kids to have such a small view of the world.

Being away from family would be the hardest thing. How did you cope with home sickness?

Heather,

I don't live abroad, but my sil does. I'll answer these questions on her behalf. She is a single woman and lives in a gated (mostly American) community. Since March her mom has lived with her there and they have live in help (mom has Alzheimer's).

Cindy

Bangladesh. Given the opportunity to work helping set up democratic government.

Basically, yes. However did study abroad (Paris).

Great job offer, wasn't happy with current job in the U.S.

Love, love, love it! The work is great and the people are wonderful.

This is uncertain. Signed on for a year, but will at least stay for two.

1. I live in Guatemala. I didn't choose it, God did. We are missionaries here.

2. I have lived in Guam and Japan when I was younger. Japanese was actually my first language--I learned English when we moved back to the US. No, I don't speak it now.

3. We've been wanting to be missionaries for years and had been working toward that since before we were married.

4. Sometimes I enjoy it, and other times I'm really homesick. The culture here is really different, and it gets a little lonely. Mostly I enjoy it!

5. We plan on staying out as long as God wants us here. We will be moving from here to somewhere in Europe so we don't plan on moving back to the US anytime soon.

These replies are great! We are looking into teaching opportunities abroad in International Christian schools that serve missionary kids and expats. There are a lot of different country options but we would probably pick something in South America (Ecuador is a possibilty) as I speak Spanish already. We would be hired by an American company to go over there and would be working with others like ourselves as well as nationals so there would be some built-in "community".

I think the question you mentioned on "flexibility" is a good one. I can live without a Target nearby but I am unsure of things like internet access, etc. I love the idea of experiencing something outside the U.S. and think it would be a great experience for my kids. I grew up in a small town and lived there my whole life until a year ago. I don't want my kids to have such a small view of the world.

Being away from family would be the hardest thing. How did you cope with home sickness?

Have you looked into Christian Academy of Guatemala? They are always looking for teachers from what I understand.

We live in a gated community here and mostly have Americans as our neighbors, which is fun. They really are great. It's nice.

Internet here is easily accessible, once you get someone out to your house to hook it up. That's the trick! My dc love it here for the most part, although sometimes they get really homesick as well. It's been good for them to see things outside of northern MN and experience so much. Where we live is really international, so they've made friends from all over the world.

Being away from family is hard, but, because of how cheap it is to call the US from here, I can talk to my family whenever I want. Homesickness hits me hard at Christmas and 4th of July--my 2 favorite holidays. Otherwise, it's really not much of a problem--only occasionally.

We do have great malls and stores here. We have Hiper Paiz which is basically a super Target or Walmart. We also have Price Smart which is basically Costco or Sam's Club. You can get a lot of American products here, but, they'll cost ya!

All in all, it's a positive experience. We don't plan on moving back anytime soon.

New Zealand

Yes.

Change of environment, slower pace, beautiful country.

During the planning stage, I was excited and looking forward to seeing New Zealand. When we got here, I regretted it because it was just too far from my big extended family and things were just too different from the U.S. I think I was just too old to make a drastic move. And I just don't have a flexible personality enough to enjoy this kind of thing. I wanted to go back to the U.S. soooo bad I started to get very grouchy and unpleasant to be around. Anyway, after several years, I decided to just be content. I started to look at this place as home and found my niche I guess. I like it now and could stay here forever as long as we could visit the U.S. every several years! On a side note, living outside the U.S. gives you a better perspective, I think, of the world... that there are lots of places that are nice to live in besides the U.S. if you're willing to experience different things.

No plan. Just being flexible here was the key for me. As of matter of fact, we're planning to go back for a while.....

That's my experience. Have fun planning!:001_smile:

We are moving to New Zealand on the 25th of this month. We will be in Napier on the North Island. Would love to meet other hschoolers/WTM/Winterpromise/FIAR.. I will post a more full intro, cant remember if I did last night.:)

Alicia in FL (for now)

I live in Canada, and have been here for 15 years now. Originally I came for a three month school course (with Youth With A Mission - YWAM), and met a Canadian guy and got married and stayed in Canada. :)

I married a Canadian, and it was just easier to stay in Canada so he could work and have me be the SAHM if/when we had kids. I also liked that here in Canada we have free health care.

Well, I was getting married, so I was happy to move to wherever future dh lived. I do, however, remember feeling sad to be moving away from good friends I'd had while working with YWAM in the States. For the most part I've enjoyed living here. With having lived on a low income all these past 15 years, I've been very, very grateful for the free health care in this country. Yes, we pay for it in taxes, but personally we don't pay nearly as much in taxes as we would pay for the hospital visits and doctor visits we've had over the years. Other than health care, I like Canadians (so much that I became one a few years ago!) - they have a different perspective than Americans (generalization, I know) on many things, and I've learned a lot in my time here. I think more like a Canadian now. There have been a few years when I longed to return to the States, simply to move down south. My sister is in NC, and in winter, I WISH I lived there. But this past year, I've grown more contented with staying here. We do have beautiful summers and falls, at least in the Maritime region. Truthfully, health care is the biggest reason that holds us back from moving to the States.

Indefinitely. We'd have to have a compelling reason to move Stateside now. Although I do miss being near my family. I wish my kids could grow up near their cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. But we make do with what we can do.

Wow, if you have an opportunity like that, go for it!

And Dayle, that's so cool that Japanese was your first language! Did I ever tell you that when we were in YWAM, dh wanted to work with YWAM in Japan? He studied Japanese for a little while. Who knows if we'll ever get there....although he went a few years ago for a Kumon conference.

apparently I have to type outside the quotes to post this message.

We don't currently live outside the US, but we have, so I thought I'd jump in with my two cents.

We lived in Belgium because dh's company had offices there. We would not have chosen it...how uns*xy is Belgium??? But, we fell in love with it's quirky charm. Loved it. Beautifully and centrally located for lots of other travel opportunities.

We had traveled a bit outside the US, but Belgium was our first foray into living outside the US.

To experience new things. I remember the day I looked up Belgium on the globe and realized how close Brussels was to Paris...and all those other countries and fabulous cities. I realized we could give our boys a huge gift...travel and experience in Europe.

We loved it. Yes, there were some hassles. But all in all, we had an exceptional experience. The internet makes keeping in touch much easier. What is so cool now is that we have life long friends who live in other countries. We get to go back to see them from time to time and have them visit us, too.

We lived overseas just under two years. It was much, much, much too short. If the company hadn't closed their offices in Brussels, we would still be there--seven years later.

Grab the opportunity! It will be a life altering experience.