Menu

Book suggestions for dd15

I know this is a forum about classical education. But I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions for more current books. Mydd15 really doesn't like to read. If she does, it's formulaic romance type books. Think Sarah Dessen. Nothing wrong with those kind of books once in a while for fun, but that's the only kind of book she reads. I want her to read something more important. Dh thinks she needs something more current. He hated Huck Finn and that's what I'm forcing on her right now. So, do any of you have any current (less than 10 years old) books that my daughter might like that are not just Chick Lit Jr?

TIA

The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale:

The Goose Girl

Enna Burning

River Secrets

Forest Born

Those books were huge favorites of my dd and her friends.

Not current, but also huge favorites of my dd and her friends is Jane Austen. Begin with Pride & Prejudice and/or Emma and/or Northanger Abbey. Especially if she is reading romance type books.

Dd just read The Hunger Games. She enjoyed it but said I wouldn't like it.

I've got lots of others that dd and her friends have loved, but they are mostly all fantasy in genre.

I'm really struggling with the concept of limiting it to the last 10 years on the basis of not liking Huck Finn, a book that is both much older and outside of her apparent interests. What other older books have you tried that she hasn't liked?

Actually, it's my dh that hates the old books. Dd just doesn't like reading in general. She read Witch of Blackbird Pond and thought that was okay. Grapes of Wrath she read and said her favorite character was the turtle (yes, she was joking, but...). We read Grapes of Wrath with a book club, so I think that helped her appreciate it, but I know she wouldn't have picked it up on her own.

Don't worry, I'll still continue to require older books. But it's summer now and I want to make some books available (not require) to her that will help increase a desire to read.

The Goose Girl

Enna Burning

River Secrets

Forest Born

Not current, but also huge favorites of my dd and her friends is Jane Austen. Begin with Pride & Prejudice and/or Emma and/or Northanger Abbey. Especially if she is reading romance type books.

I've got lots of others that dd and her friends have loved, but they are mostly all fantasy in genre.

Thanks. I'll check these out. I've never heard of the first five. I've read Hunger Games as did my dd. It's fun and all, but not really what I'm looking for.

Actually, it's my dh that hates the old books. Dd just doesn't like reading in general. She read Witch of Blackbird Pond and thought that was okay. Grapes of Wrath she read and said her favorite character was the turtle (yes, she was joking, but...). We read Grapes of Wrath with a book club, so I think that helped her appreciate it, but I know she wouldn't have picked it up on her own.

Don't worry, I'll still continue to require older books. But it's summer now and I want to make some books available (not require) to her that will help increase a desire to read.

Can you give us a little more to go on? Because what I'm getting is "important" YA books of a romance-y flavor published in the last 10 years, with The Hunger Games not being the right sort of thing. I'm kind of drawing a blank here :)

Is historical fiction good? Fantasy/sci-fi? YA older than ten years that doesn't contain anything about computers or cell phones but is still written in modern language? Are books that aren't specifically YA ok? How much mention of sex, violence, drugs, mental illness, or other potentially controversial topics is ok?

Can you give us a little more to go on? Because what I'm getting is "important" YA books of a romance-y flavor published in the last 10 years, with The Hunger Games not being the right sort of thing. I'm kind of drawing a blank here :)

Is historical fiction good? Fantasy/sci-fi? YA older than ten years that doesn't contain anything about computers or cell phones but is still written in modern language? Are books that aren't specifically YA ok? How much mention of sex, violence, drugs, mental illness, or other potentially controversial topics is ok?

Actually I don't want it to be romancey.

Historical fiction is an automatic turn-off to her.

It doesn't have to be set in the 21st century. But set in the last half of the 20th century would probably be more appealing to her. That doesn't make it historical fiction, in my mind. She hates historical fiction that seems more like it is teaching than just having a good story.

Yes, books that are not specifically YA are ok.

Some mention of sex is fine. I'd prefer that is normal sex though. I hesitate to give some YA books to her that I haven't reviewed because some seem to have plenty of reckless or promiscuous sex. She's old enough now that she probably needs to hear about some weighty issues and books are a safe way to approach them, but I remember when I read Too Bad about the Haines Girl, it was shocking, but it sent the right message.

Soem language is fine. I love the book Feed, but while I had my boys read it, I still think she'd be turned off by the amount of bad language.

Some mental illness issues okay. but I worry about too much detail about cutting and stuff. Same with homosexuality. Some is okay, but I dont' want details

My daughters are 14 and 16. We suggest the following:

A Lantern in Her Hand (Bess Streeter Aldrich; fiction)

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card; science fiction)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith; fiction)

The Schwa Was Here (Neal Shusterman; YA fiction)

Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work (Tim Gunn; non-fiction)

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie; mystery)

The Snow Goose (Paul Gallico; fiction)

The New Global Student (Maya Frost; non-fiction)

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith (Deborah Heiligman; non-fiction)

The Perilous Gard (Elizabeth Mary Pope; fiction)

The Wednesday Wars (Gary Schmidt; YA fiction)

A Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Porter Stratton; fiction)

Summer of My German Soldier (Bette Greene; YA fiction)

Stargirl (Jerry Spinelli; YA fiction)

Not YA, but would she read something like:

Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer by Mireya Mayor

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (not just for runners)

All of these are interesting non-fiction that are written in riveting/entertaining ways. I think she might really enjoy the Pink Boots book.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

how about if i ask it this way: what YA books have you (or your child) enjoyed that was published in the past 10 years and is not sci-fi, fantasy, or historical fiction?

My daughter loves John Green's books:

The Fault in Our Stars

Looking for Alaska

An Abundance of Katherines

Paper Towns

I haven't read any of them, but he consistently wins awards for his books. They are what I would call "literary fiction" for teens. They all, as far as I know, have contemporary settings and no sci-fi or fantasy elements. As far as sex and language, I can't give any details. I don't think there's anything extreme, but I'd suggest pre-reading.

You might also take a look at some of Libba Bray's books, too. I'm thinking specifically of Beauty Queens and Going Bovine.

My daughter reads a lot and loves to tell me about books. Once she's up and around, I'll be happy to ask her for other suggestions.

Seconding John Green, Libba Bray and Shannon Hale as possibilities.

Too bad she hates historical fiction. I like to recommend Jennifer Donnelly for that age girls. And I just read Code Name Verity and it was AMAZING. But it's historical fiction. And I Capture the Castle is a long time favorite of mine, but it's kind of historical fiction.

The President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White. It was written in the 80's but updated and reissued for today's readers. There is mention of dating, kissing and I think she is "active" in college but I don't remember. I will have my 13yo daughter wait to read them - but I love them. They are emotionally intense and really good.

Here is the first one one Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Presidents-Daughter-Ellen-Emerson-White/dp/B005GNLX6Q/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

http://ellenemersonwhite.com/bibliography/daughter

I also read this recently and enjoyed it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Disreputable-History-Frankie-Landau-Banks/dp/0786838191/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340801531&sr=1-1&keywords=frankie+banks

Edited by LNC

My daughters are 14 and 16. We suggest the following:

A Lantern in Her Hand (Bess Streeter Aldrich; fiction)

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card; science fiction)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith; fiction)

The Schwa Was Here (Neal Shusterman; YA fiction)

Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work (Tim Gunn; non-fiction)

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie; mystery)

The Snow Goose (Paul Gallico; fiction)

The New Global Student (Maya Frost; non-fiction)

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith (Deborah Heiligman; non-fiction)

The Perilous Gard (Elizabeth Mary Pope; fiction)

The Wednesday Wars (Gary Schmidt; YA fiction)

A Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Porter Stratton; fiction)

Summer of My German Soldier (Bette Greene; YA fiction)

Stargirl (Jerry Spinelli; YA fiction)

Thanks for this list. I requested The Schwa Was Here from the library. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite books, but when I got it out of the library a few weeks ago, she never even started it. Some day I may have to read it aloud with her if she won't do it on her own. My younger daughter absolutley loves Stargirl. She has read it several times. I remember loving Summer of My German Soldier as a girl. I got that one out a few months ago also hoping dd15 would pick it up, but she didn't. :( She's a tough one to please. She just isn't much of a reader which frustrates the heck out of me.

The Goose Girl

Enna Burning

River Secrets

Forest Born

I checked out Goose Girl. We'll see what happens... Thanks!

Not YA, but would she read something like:

Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer by Mireya Mayor

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (not just for runners)

All of these are interesting non-fiction that are written in riveting/entertaining ways. I think she might really enjoy the Pink Boots book.

Pink boots looks very interesting and maybe she'd give it a look. I wish it was at my library, but it's not. I might be placing an Amazon order soon, so maybe I'll include this one too. Thanks.

Here is a list that my dd's liked at that age. They were ready for more modern "edge" than some of the classical titles offered. I have read and enjoyed these books. The plot tends to move along.

I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

The Help, Kathryn Stockett.

The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd

Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes

Cry the Beloved Country, Alan Paton

What is the What, Dave Eggers (biographical fiction about the lost boys of Sudan--violence that goes along with the topic.)