Menu

Want a writing program to bridge WWE and WWS - here's what I own

abrightmom

WWE 1-3

Writing Strands 3

Writing Tales

Classical Composition Fable

CW Homer Core

I want to write more this upcoming school year and I want to learn more about writing in the process. WWE isnt enough and I am struggling to implement writing across the curriculum. I AM going to work on that but I want to use a program. I have listened to SWB, read WTM, used WWE etc. I keep going back to IEW b/c I think it would click for the boys. However,I want to use WWS in 6th grade (2 years).

I need a two year plan to prepare us for WWS.

Here is what we have done: copy work, dictation, and WWE 1- 3 (only a few weeks into this). No formal writing program.

I didn't care for Writing Tales. Wish that wasn't so. I am willing to try again though. I didn't get what we were learning and I had NO idea how to evaluate the writing. Don't like integrated grammar work.

I don't really understand Writing Strands but SWB gives it a solid review. I am willing to use it for a year if it will build skills leading up to WWS. Admittedly, I don't know what those skills are. WS seems more creative while WWS is more academic(?).

Classical Comp LOOKS amazing but it seems especially challenging. Reversal? Wow. I could not wrap my mind around how to do that. I am willing to take it on if it is a solid bridge between now and WWS.

IEW. Looks VERY easy to use, super structured, clear instructions, good for boys whose brains don't work properly during writing. Is this a good two year bridge to WWS?

Thanks. I know your time is precious.

I am using ILL as a filler until we are ready for WWS. It works well for my needs, but I think you are saying you want explicit teaching of the writing process, correct? If that is the case, I would just go ahead and get IEW. I drooled over it forever, but eventually decided against it. I don't see CC, CW, or WT actually teaching how to write a paragraph or report. I'm sure they get there eventually in their round-about way, but it has been hard for me to tell from looking at samples.

Along side PLL/ILL, I have been using 8FilltheHeart's writing post as a guide. I can link it if you want, but I'm sure you have seen it. That has been enough for my natural writer dd. If, at some point, I have a child that needs really explicit instruction, I will go for IEW.

Through my research and use of many writing programs I've decided that there is no one perfect program out there for us. I think the skills in WWE are important but felt that some of my dc were capable of doing more writing, and I also realized that being able to write something that was stylistically interesting was something that made writing more tolerable for my dc.

I believe that a couple years of IEW in conjunction with WWE, or in between WWE/WWS works beautifully. My dc can continue to work on those imperative skills in SWB's programs while being able to add some style to those assignments and, if you watch TWSS, be able to use IEW methods to write across the curricula much more easily (imo). The dc that I'm doing this with have had no problem integrating skills of each program. My oldest has said she likes being able to decide, depending on the assignment, which type of outline she will use. My second oldest could not do WWS last year, however, after having a year with IEW she has more confidence to put words on paper thanks to the stylistic techniques that have become second nature. The more symplistic outlines of IEW have also paved the way to the more complex outlines of WWS. She started WWS back up again and is doing MUCH better.

I love IEW. I love the flexibility, the ease of use, the confidence it has built in me and my dc, and the increase in quantity of writing my dc are doing. I know quantity is not more important than quality, but it is very hard to work on quality until they are actually producing a quantity of writing.;)

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

Aime,

Your post is so helpful. You described what I am working toward. I am going to our homeschool conference tomorrow and have been planning to buy IEW. I really believe it is what I am looking for in this season. :001_smile: Just had to ask one more time.....

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

Aime,

Your post is so helpful. You described what I am working toward. I am going to our homeschool conference tomorrow and have been planning to buy IEW. I really believe it is what I am looking for in this season. :001_smile: Just had to ask one more time.....

I resisted IEW for a long time (worried about style issues, etc.) I finally dabbled in All Things fun and Fascinating this spring with my ds 10, dd 8 (and even ds 6 insisted he join in!). They really enjoyed it. That book is a GREAT one for this age.

I resisted IEW for a long time (worried about style issues, etc.) I finally dabbled in All Things fun and Fascinating this spring with my ds 10, dd 8 (and even ds 6 insisted he join in!). They really enjoyed it. That book is a GREAT one for this age.

I see this is written by IEW. Is it a complete book or does it last only a few weeks? Is it step by step, easy to implement and complete? How is it different than, say, level A of IEW?

We are starting AFF this year and are so excited about it!

I see this is written by IEW. Is it a complete book or does it last only a few weeks? Is it step by step, easy to implement and complete? How is it different than, say, level A of IEW?

Level A is going to have direct instruction to the child thought the DVD lessons. AFF requires the teacher to explicitly teach through the different units of the IEW method. It just provides the structure, schedule and assignments. You would need to watch the TWSS first (or atleast work through one of the SWI products) and feel comfortable with teaching the method in order to teach the themed products.

Through my research and use of many writing programs I've decided that there is no one perfect program out there for us. I think the skills in WWE are important but felt that some of my dc were capable of doing more writing, and I also realized that being able to write something that was stylistically interesting was something that made writing more tolerable for my dc.

I believe that a couple years of IEW in conjunction with WWE, or in between WWE/WWS works beautifully. My dc can continue to work on those imperative skills in SWB's programs while being able to add some style to those assignments and, if you watch TWSS, be able to use IEW methods to write across the curricula much more easily (imo). The dc that I'm doing this with have had no problem integrating skills of each program. My oldest has said she likes being able to decide, depending on the assignment, which type of outline she will use. My second oldest could not do WWS last year, however, after having a year with IEW she has more confidence to put words on paper thanks to the stylistic techniques that have become second nature. The more symplistic outlines of IEW have also paved the way to the more complex outlines of WWS. She started WWS back up again and is doing MUCH better.

I love IEW. I love the flexibility, the ease of use, the confidence it has built in me and my dc, and the increase in quantity of writing my dc are doing. I know quantity is not more important than quality, but it is very hard to work on quality until they are actually producing a quantity of writing.;)

I will second this post exactly. We are somewhere between WWE2 and 3, sans the long dictations. I am in he midst of watching the DVDs and will start the SWI-A next year with DS. I plan to do this for 2 years, and then use WWS. I can really see this being a very simple to implement, excellent writing year.

And I'm in the PNW too!

ETA: Wow I have a DS8 and DD6 too! You wouldn't happen to live in proximity to the big city would ya? :D

I love WWE and WWS and IEW. I taught 3/4th graders last year using IEW"s FAiry Tales and Myths (geared towards younger like AFF). The girls wrote a paper a day. Do you plan to use WWE 4?

I think it is more difficult than WWE 2-3, and a good bridge. I also think an IEW theme book would be totally appropriate~!

Level A is going to have direct instruction to the child thought the DVD lessons. AFF requires the teacher to explicitly teach through the different units of the IEW method. It just provides the structure, schedule and assignments. You would need to watch the TWSS first (or atleast work through one of the SWI products) and feel comfortable with teaching the method in order to teach the themed products.

Thank you! I'm thinking of doing WWE3 this year (maybe with SWI A??) or SWI A next year and then moving into WWS after that. I'm not sure if I want to do the extremely long dictations of WWE4. The girls narrate and summarize beautifully after WWE2 and do dictation beautifully for their own narrations, and while they do well with the dictations in WWE2, I feel that dictation from their own narrations is more important than memorizing pieces from the passages. :001_huh: I just might not see the total picture with dictation of the extremely long sentences, though.

This was a helpful thread and in the midst of Life's Chaos I missed several posts. THANKS for chiming in.

I went to conference and purchased TWSS/SWI-A. I'm terrified but excited. I don't have all of the materials in hand as some items will be mailed to me.

I feel quite torn about WWE. I am truly amazed at the testimonies of children "summarizing beautifully" I suppose we haven't worked hard enough at it but I've found the process grueling. I am not sure my son gets what he's supposed to do. Dictation is not a problem for him. As I've been pondering our path I've been considering using WWE2 again for oral summary work. He has been working in 3 and doing just fine but I do need to walk him through how to summarize. He can handle the physical aspect of writing it all down but needs me to walk him through the summary narration. Basically, I follow SWB's script because I am horrible at summarizing. This is what makes me think that doing more oral summary work a la WWE2 would be helpful and build him up in that particular area.

We'll see. :lol:

• 1 month later...

This is so helpful, Aime. We just finished WWE3 and my son was bored. I am thinking of skipping WWE4 and going to a new Writing program (IEW has intrigued me to get his writing skills a little looser)... and now I read about WWS which makes me think maybe skipping WWE4 to get some change - and then do IEW for a year and back to WWS after.

Tell me more about your experience going from WWE to IEW back to WWS. How old was your ds/what grade? And did you do WWE4?

Along side PLL/ILL, I have been using 8FilltheHeart's writing post as a guide. I can link it if you want, but I'm sure you have seen it.

I apologize for a brief hijack of the thread (and thank you OP for posting this question!). I would greatly appreciate a link - I've searched, but I don't believe I've found it, nor am I certain I know what I'm looking for...:tongue_smilie:

This is so helpful, Aime. We just finished WWE3 and my son was bored. I am thinking of skipping WWE4 and going to a new Writing program (IEW has intrigued me to get his writing skills a little looser)... and now I read about WWS which makes me think maybe skipping WWE4 to get some change - and then do IEW for a year and back to WWS after.

Tell me more about your experience going from WWE to IEW back to WWS. How old was your ds/what grade? And did you do WWE4?

Well, the one that is back in WWS is actually my dd13. She did parts of WWE3 two years ago, then tried WWS one year ago and floundered with it. She disliked WWE and didn't need anymore work with Copywork and dictation so I decided to try IEW. It worked beautifully for her ( and all my children who have used/are using it). She is back into WWS now and doing great! I think what IEW gave her - and I may be repeating myself here - is the confidence of having so many tools available to make her writing more stylistic, the knowledge that writing reports is easy once you know what information to include and how to organize it (WWS does this, but, IMO, IEW teaches it more simply), and a whole year of A LOT of writing practice across the curricula. We used SWI, but I also assigned work from other subjects.

Dd9 also used WWE 1, 2 and most of 3. When I started my older two on IEW I decided to use what I'd learned from the TWSS to teach her as well using my own models. That was last year in 3rd. This year, in 4th, she is using an IEW themed program and loving it. Next year I will move her into WWS if I feel she is ready. If not, we'll take another year of IEW.

I hope that answers your question. I don't think WWE4 is a bad program, I just think that it is overkill for many students who are ready to do more with their writing but not ready for WWS. IEW is a perfect one or two year bridge before moving on with SWB's program, in my opinion, based on my experience.

I, too, needed a bridge to WWS for my 5th grader, so she will be using SWI-A this year. I planned on writing across the curriculum, but I think I was kidding myself. I prefer the hand-holding and schedule the SWI disks will provide, particularly since I have a passel of littles to manage.

Thank you so much Aime! Your words are so helpful! I think this might be the route we go. My son just began to dislike the monotony of WWE 3 so much.

Is WWE 4 more of the same of WWE 3? Narration/dictation/narration/dictation?

He found the dictation passages in WWE 3 too long & frustrating to recall. He began to loathe the days he knew were dictation.

For those of you that used IEW as a bridge between WWE & WWS... what IEW did you use? And did you teach it on your own or did you have your children watch the Andrew Pudewa DVDs for instruction?

Thanks for all your help!!! :bigear:

I'm using SWI-A, but have also watched TWSS. Once we get through TWSS, I plan to continue through TWSS, writing across the curriculum. We'll use WWS in 5th, most likely.

For those of you that used IEW as a bridge between WWE & WWS... what IEW did you use? And did you teach it on your own or did you have your children watch the Andrew Pudewa DVDs for instruction?

Thanks for all your help!!! :bigear:

We are using SWI-A. We have only just begun, but I have to tell you that I am so, so pleased I purchased the DVDs. We watched the first one, and I was able to change diapers, get drinks, and do all the other things my littles need me for while my 10yo completed the lesson. I watched the DVD with her, but it was so nice to be able to step away or to have my littles crawling in my lap....without impeding her lesson. Heavenly!

I mention this only b/c I see you have a crew similar to mine, and I assume your day is a bunch of schoolwork interspersed with toddler chaos (just like mine). I think I am going to be very blessed by Pudewa this year.