Menu

S/o Disney UNsupervised

With cell phones? 10 or 11.

We were there a couple years ago and my dh got sick. I was at the parks with 4 kids by myself. I let the older boys go off. Two of them had a phone. They were 12, 10, and 6. All was fine!!! I don't think I'd let my now-6 yo go out with a 12 yo. But, I was desperate and alone and I had a 1 yo!

We live near Disney and my kids are very comfortable with amusement parks (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, etc). I started letting the older two go off together in the parks, with cell phones, when they were about 9 and 10. I was a single parent and had a toddler who hated the heat. Normally, I would take my youngest on one little ride or to one short show, then go sit at our meeting spot (usually a restaurant) and they knew they could come there whenever they were done.

At an amusement park that we didn't know well, I would probably let them now at 12 and 13, but wouldn't have three years ago.

My Uncle used to take all the kids in our family as well as a bunch of other kids in the area to an amusement park about once a year. He started taking us after our 10th birthday and the rule was that you have one or two buddies and you don't go ANYWHERE without them, including on rides and one person in each little group had a cell phone.

my son went off on his own at 13. He had a cell phone. We did a few things together as a family in the morning ate lunch, then he went where ever he wanted and where ever the Disney transportation carried him. He had a parkhopper pass and generally went to Epcot (he like Norway, the street performers and books in Norway) from whatever park we were in. Sometimes he went to Downtown Disney (he listened to music in the Virgin store). He came back to the hotel (All Star Music) on Disney transportation sometime around dinner, but we only had a couple nights we ate dinner together. Honestly, I think giving him that level of independence made the trip even better for him (and us because he was happy). He felt really independent and we felt comfortable there was a limit as to where he could actually go.