Menu

New Orleans people

So what is there to do there for free or super cheap? I'm going with a friend and the kids next week for a day. I grew up in Houma so I've been tons of times as a kid but the last time I went was about 9 years ago. My friend has never been so I want to make it good for her. All I could come up with is the river walk and French quarter. What about parking if we do the French quarter?

I got nothing. Lived there 42 yrs and never found things to do free with the family except hike, not a real family friendly city. Be careful with the French Quarter, we took the kids there one weekend and it was the weekend of the Decadence Festival...we all got an eye full (middle son announced on the way home that he wanted a nipple ring just like the ones he saw:001_huh:)

Will you be based on the east bank or the west bank, or just driving in for the day? Do you know what day?

I have to get the kids to camp, but I'll come back with some ideas.

We are just driving in for the day on Tuesday. We will be staying at a campground in Covington for a few days and I thought it would make a good day trip.

I figure if we go early in the day in the middle of the week we can avoid all the freaks. :001_smile:

I forgot about city park! I used to love the paddle boats as a kid.

Where are the antique shops?

In Mandeville is a state park, Fountainblue State Park, they have a nice beach and the kids can wade in the lake. Don't forget the sprinklers by the lake or the ones at the trail head on Gerard street. Something to do on the hot days.

Where are the sprinklers? I assume you mean a spraypark? The kids and I are headed to visit my parents in LA at the end of the summer and I know we would love some places to cool down.

City Park has great playgrounds, and Storyland is cheap ($3/kid). My kids love it. I also like taking the kids to walk around the Quarter. We have never run into problems, especially on a week day morning. We park in the French Market parking lot between the French Market and the river. The zoo and the aquarium are wonderful, but pricey. My kids like to ride the Algiers ferry back and forth a few times. LOL It's free to pedestrians. You get on the ferry right by the aquarium. Riding a street car is a good idea. Inexpensive. You could park somewhere along St. Charles and ride the street car down to the playground right across from Tulane. Pretty ride, nice playground. I'll come back and edit if I come up with any more ideas.

We were just there this week, used to live there. My kids were only there for the day and we maximized our one day with them. :lol: It was crazy, and certainly not cheap. Cheaper things to do: City Park for sure, it is pretty and the playgrounds are fun. Street car ride. not expensive, and my kids loved it. You can park at City park and take the street car to the french quarter (I believe) to save on parking. Cafe du Monde is not expensive either, and my kids loved a cheap snack of chocolate milk and beignets. :) Oh, and the Ferry is fun, you can drive your car on, ride across to the West bank and back. We have done that several times when living there for cheap entertainment. :tongue_smilie: A walk on the River walk. Jackson Square always has entertainers out and around.

Hope that helps some! Enjoy your trip! We love it there!

Considering that your friend (and the kids?) have never been, and you only have the one day, I would almost certainly go for the quintessential New Orleans experience: the French Quarter.

You can check here to see if it's practical to leave the car at City Park and take the streetcar. I believe the City Park/Harrah's route runs every 40 minutes, and the French Quarter will be about a 15-20 minute walk from the Harrah's area. The ferry (free to pedestrians) is near that area as well, and it's a great way to see the river; kids usually love it.

If you can make that work, the outdoor sculpture garden at the park is free, and Storyland is $3 - although be warned that this is also the amusement park area. The rides are nothing much; the only one I would consider would be the carousel. It's on the national historic register, and the "flying horses" are carved from wood. You would have to start early to do that plus go to the FQ and back.

There are usually street performers in the Quarter during the summer, even on weekdays, so that's usually fun and free. Dancing groups and such pass the hat, but you are not obligated to tip a certain amount or at all. If you want to take pics of single performers or make requests, you would be expected to tip. Don't let anyone offer your kids a balloon or such; they will then ask for some stupid amount of money. If you think you might want to let them have it, make them tell you how much first.

There will be artists lined up around Jackson Square, and it's fun to look at their work and to watch them work. Cafe Dumonde for beignets is pretty much a must-do if you're there!

St. Louis Cathedral is a beautiful landmark that overlooks Jackson Square. The outside architecture is beautiful, and you can also walk inside whenever there is not a special event.

The French Market has lots of fun shopping, even when you just browse.

Really, there is tons of stuff to do, but a leisurely trip to the French Quarter can pretty much take the day, and is particularly suitable if you are trying to not spend money. If you decide to park there, look at some maps ahead of time and bring a map with you - you will pay a lot less if you are willing to walk for 15-20 minutes (which you will also do if you take the streetcar to Harrah's).

Have fun!

In Mandeville is a state park, Fountainblue State Park, they have a nice beach and the kids can wade in the lake. Don't forget the sprinklers by the lake or the ones at the trail head on Gerard street. Something to do on the hot days.

Thanks! I've spent tons of time in Covington but never really been to Mandeville. Sounds nice to check out on one of our other days.

Considering that your friend (and the kids?) have never been, and you only have the one day, I would almost certainly go for the quintessential New Orleans experience: the French Quarter.

You can check here to see if it's practical to leave the car at City Park and take the streetcar. I believe the City Park/Harrah's route runs every 40 minutes, and the French Quarter will be about a 15-20 minute walk from the Harrah's area. The ferry (free to pedestrians) is near that area as well, and it's a great way to see the river; kids usually love it.

If you can make that work, the outdoor sculpture garden at the park is free, and Storyland is $3 - although be warned that this is also the amusement park area. The rides are nothing much; the only one I would consider would be the carousel. It's on the national historic register, and the "flying horses" are carved from wood. You would have to start early to do that plus go to the FQ and back.

There are usually street performers in the Quarter during the summer, even on weekdays, so that's usually fun and free. Dancing groups and such pass the hat, but you are not obligated to tip a certain amount or at all. If you want to take pics of single performers or make requests, you would be expected to tip. Don't let anyone offer your kids a balloon or such; they will then ask for some stupid amount of money. If you think you might want to let them have it, make them tell you how much first.

There will be artists lined up around Jackson Square, and it's fun to look at their work and to watch them work. Cafe Dumonde for beignets is pretty much a must-do if you're there!

St. Louis Cathedral is a beautiful landmark that overlooks Jackson Square. The outside architecture is beautiful, and you can also walk inside whenever there is not a special event.

The French Market has lots of fun shopping, even when you just browse.

Really, there is tons of stuff to do, but a leisurely trip to the French Quarter can pretty much take the day, and is particularly suitable if you are trying to not spend money. If you decide to park there, look at some maps ahead of time and bring a map with you - you will pay a lot less if you are willing to walk for 15-20 minutes (which you will also do if you take the streetcar to Harrah's).

Have fun!

Thank you!! I had forgotten about the church. Off to check out the links now. :)

Definitely get some beignets at Cafe Du Monde! There is a Cafe Du Monde in both Covington and Mandeville as well. Ride a streetcar through the Garden District. Visit the St. Louis Cathedral and while there visit the nearby Cabildo. The Cabildo was the site of the Louisiana Purchase. For lunch, consider sharing a (very large!) muffaletta at Napoleon House- look up the history of this restaurant- very neat.

On another day, I recommend a swamp tour by Honey Island Swamp Tours in Slidell. This is an easy drive from Mandeville/Covington and a great swamp tour. The guide gets sooo close to the gators that it's frightening! On our tour, he even partially lifted one from the water! Yikes! :willy_nilly: Be sure to keep any little hands inside the boat at ALL times! If you google, you may find coupons for this tour.