Menu

Posted last month, but now need help: MIL menu!

My mil is coming in less than two days and I need menu help! I wouldn't call her "picky" but yeah, I think she is a little. Here's the deal: low to no meat or meat she can cut into teeny tiny minute pieces so she can chew it; no salads...can't chew it well. Summer meals aren't really a concern. The weather should be mild, rainy next week. Oh yeah, and nothing spicy. I'm trying really hard not to roll my eyes at the moment. ;) As usual, I DOOOO love her, but she's staying 8 days this year and I'm already calculating how many bottles of wine I'll go through while I sit through her homeopathic diagnoses (which actually DO work...sigh), and try to keep her busy (we're sewing curtains and weeding my yard)! And, please don't get me started on the guilt I already feel as I get ready to hit "post". :001_huh:

Pasta with meat sauce or a creamy alfredo sauce?

Salmon with a bourbon brown sugar glaze with a mango or papaya and pineapple salsa

Chicken salad (with the chicken diced) with mayo, honey, poppy seeds and grapes (diced), served with cantaloupe

Vegetable soup (if it isn't too hot)

Lots of fresh fruit (watermelon, peaches, strawberries) with cottage cheese

A variety of cheeses with crackers for snacks

Grilled cheese sandwiches on nice bread

Apple pie and ice cream

Pancakes, eggs, grits, breakfast casserole with diced ham

Have to stop.....this is making me hungry!

We like this vegetarian Honey Garbanzo Bean and Spinach crockpot recipe:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2012/01/honey-beans-and-spinach-slow-cooker.html

It's especially nice when you don't want to heat up the house. :) The blogger actually has a whole section of vegetarian recipes.

This sounds...interesting. I may just have to try it just to torture a few family members. I can hear them now..."Sweet potatoes and spinach???!!!" :lol:

My mil is coming in less than two days and I need menu help! I wouldn't call her "picky" but yeah, I think she is a little. Here's the deal: low to no meat or meat she can cut into teeny tiny minute pieces so she can chew it; no salads...can't chew it well. Summer meals aren't really a concern. The weather should be mild, rainy next week. Oh yeah, and nothing spicy. I'm trying really hard not to roll my eyes at the moment. ;) As usual, I DOOOO love her, but she's staying 8 days this year and I'm already calculating how many bottles of wine I'll go through while I sit through her homeopathic diagnoses (which actually DO work...sigh), and try to keep her busy (we're sewing curtains and weeding my yard)! And, please don't get me started on the guilt I already feel as I get ready to hit "post". :001_huh:

pasta salad

spaghetti or other hot pasta/casserole

taco or burrito bar, everyone can choose their own toppings

sandwich bar, everyone can choose their own fillings

I would also make my regular family meals with meat that your family will like, but also add an extra side dish or two so that your mil will feel fed. This might be as simple as giving her a carton of yogurt along with her meal, if that works for her. Ask her what kinds of things she likes/eats, and incorporate those into your meals.

Do your kids snack during the day? Will she snack? Can you make the snacks substantial enough that she will be satisfied? (Haha, yes, you may be thinking, "She's never satisfied!")

I'd be thinking of soft, filling foods: smoothies, beans, rice, fruit salad.

Have fun!:D

This sounds...interesting. I may just have to try it just to torture a few family members. I can hear them now..."Sweet potatoes and spinach???!!!" :lol:

:lol:

I was pretty apprehensive about it, but the spices make it quite tasty. My husband loved it. He happily ate the leftovers and asked when I was making it again. :)

When my friend of 38 years flies out to spend her vacation with me, I have food in the house to get us through the couple of catch up days. Then we meal plan and go grocery shopping. It is MUCH easier tjis way, especially since she has been known to tell me what she likes, then just not be in the mood for it when she is here.

This would be my suggestion.:001_smile:

I guess I'm a grouch because I don't change my routine when guests are here. I make the same meals as usual and hope that my guests can find something in the meal that they can eat - just like my kids do! Now if they are extended guests and want to go grocery shopping & menu planning & actual meal preparation with me while they are visiting then input into what they "need" for meals is taken more into consideration! (Of course, this doesn't fly if a person is truly allergic to some food - that I would take into consideration!)

Myra

I'd really try and get your dh to take her to either a dentist, or denturist.

Malnutrition in the elderly, due to dental issues, is quite common, and the reality of it is, it's easily fixed.

Oh no, she's in now way underfed. She eats c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t.l.y. She's actually quite healthy, contrary to the way my post sounds, and takes excellent care of herself. I think the teeth thing is only part of it. My mil is......unique. I've never, ever, met another person like her. It's extremely hard to describe. You just have to see it all to believe it. :)