Menu

GORGEOUS frosted cupcakes.......I have to make 40 of them....they have to be...

spectacular.

I've been assigned chocolate cupcakes and chocolate frosting -- the frosting has to be as dark chocolate as it can be.

I'm not afraid to use a pastry tube or plastic bag with the end snipped off -- I just need everyone's helpful hints. I have to do these tomorrow night (wednesday).

HIVE CHEFS: HELP!!!!! Do I use canned frosting? (I'm not eating them, just making them). Does anyone have a failproof recipe? If I use canned, should I chill it first? I don't have to decorate them -- just frost with dark chocolate frosting.

TIA th_121r3p3.gif

ETA: what is the temperature where you are? whipped ganache would melt pretty easily.

uh-oh -- it is scorchingly hot. And, these are for an event at the pool at like 11am thursday morning -- there is no A/C where these will be served.

If whipped ganache will melt, what are my options?:confused:

Edited by MariannNOVA

I would use this Wilton recipe for dark chocolate buttercream frosting. It will also be the correct consistency to pipe onto the cupcakes. Some recipes will be too thin.

ETA: The recipe calls for clear vanilla, but this is really not necessary in a chocolate frosting. In fact, I would find a high quality vanilla to buy instead of the clear, if I was going to get a new vanilla. Of course, I'm partial to Mexican vanilla myself.

ETA again: I would look for some edible glitter as well, if you want the cupcakes to look fancy. You can find it at most stores like Michael's.

ETA once again: some tutorials on piping frosting on a cupcake: Tutorial 1 - round tip and Tutorial 2 - swirls

Edited by mandymom

You definitely want a chocolate ganache whipped. Get the darkest chocolate you can find:

6 ounces chopped chocolate

2 sticks butter at room temp

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar

1 strong coffee

1 egg yolk

melt chocolate over simmering water, or zap for 30 seconds at a time and stir. Beat b utter in mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanila and egg yolk and continue beating 2 more minutes. With mixer on low gradually add sugar, then beat until smooth and creamy. Scrape down bowl, add coffee to chocolate, and add to the whipped mixture. Don't whip, but rather stir on low until smooth.

This is from Barefoot Contessa at home

ETA ok i don't think that is gonna frost 40 cupcakes LOL. I have made a simple ganache and just whip it after. That is the easiest

Edited by 425lisamarie

I would use this Wilton recipe for dark chocolate buttercream frosting. It will also be the correct consistency to pipe onto the cupcakes. Some recipes will be too thin.

ETA: The recipe calls for clear vanilla, but this is really not necessary in a chocolate frosting. In fact, I would find a high quality vanilla to buy instead of the clear, if I was going to get a new vanilla. Of course, I'm partial to Mexican vanilla myself.

ETA again: I would look for some edible glitter as well, if you want the cupcakes to look fancy. You can find it at most stores like Michael's.

ETA once again: some tutorials on piping frosting on a cupcake: Tutorial 1 - round tip and Tutorial 2 - swirls

Love the tutorials - thank you.:)

You definitely want a chocolate ganache whipped. Get the darkest chocolate you can find:

6 ounces chopped chocolate

2 sticks butter at room temp

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar

1 strong coffee

1 egg yolk

melt chocolate over simmering water, or zap for 30 seconds at a time and stir. Beat b utter in mixer for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanila and egg yolk and continue beating 2 more minutes. With mixer on low gradually add sugar, then beat until smooth and creamy. Scrape down bowl, add coffee to chocolate, and add to the whipped mixture. Don't whip, but rather stir on low until smooth.

This is from Barefoot Contessa at home

ETA ok i don't think that is gonna frost 40 cupcakes LOL. I have made a simple ganache and just whip it after. That is the easiest

Thanks -- I am reading about whipped ganache right now. I am doing medifast and my mouth is watering.

Thanks -- I am reading about whipped ganache right now. I am doing medifast and my mouth is watering.

This is from my Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum

Makes 4 cups:

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 227 grams

2 cups (8 ounces or 464 grams heavy cream)

1/2 tsp vanilla

Chop chocolate, heat cream just until a bare simmer, pour over chocolate and stir until melted. You can stir, cover, stir, etc a few times or just chop really fine so it goes quick. Let chill in the fridge about 2 hours stirring once or twice. Add vanilla and beat just until soft peaks form as it will get grainy if you over beat. If that should happen you can remelt/chill/beat. Ask me how I know LOL.

I love the recipes on the can of Hersheys Cocoa. It's "Perfect Chocolate Cake" and "Perfect Chocolate Frosting". They are total WINS! I love them and have never had them fail.

This is from my Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum

Makes 4 cups:

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 227 grams

2 cups (8 ounces or 464 grams heavy cream)

1/2 tsp vanilla

Chop chocolate, heat cream just until a bare simmer, pour over chocolate and stir until melted. You can stir, cover, stir, etc a few times or just chop really fine so it goes quick. Let chill in the fridge about 2 hours stirring once or twice. Add vanilla and beat just until soft peaks form as it will get grainy if you over beat. If that should happen you can remelt/chill/beat. Ask me how I know LOL.

I love the recipes on the can of Hersheys Cocoa. It's "Perfect Chocolate Cake" and "Perfect Chocolate Frosting". They are total WINS! I love them and have never had them fail.

These look delicious and I'm sure Ree knows best :)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/life-by-chocolate/

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have the tastiest reading to do tonight!:001_smile:

:iagree:

the cupcakes must be this recipe. the frosting either this one or the whipped ganache.

ETA: what is the temperature where you are? whipped ganache would melt pretty easily.

Edited by brett_ashley

I make super easy ganache.

1) Get equal amounts of heavy cream and chocolate. (For example, a pound of chocolate and two cups heavy cream.)

2) Chop the chocolate so it will melt more easily. Alternatively, just break the squares apart, put them in a bowl, and melt them in the microwave, stirring every 45 seconds. If you chop the chocolate, you don't have to melt it because the cream will melt it.

3) Bring the cream to a boil in the microwave.

4) Immediately mix the cream and chocolate together.

5) Stir until uniform.

If you want to fluff it up, just use your mixer.

The consistency will thicken as it cools.

:iagree:

the cupcakes must be this recipe. the frosting either this one or the whipped ganache.

uh-oh -- it is scorchingly hot. And, these are for an event at the pool at like 11am thursday morning -- there is no A/C where these will be served.

If whipped ganache will melt, what are my options?:confused:

I use the Wilton chocolate buttercream recipe, with Hershey's extra dark cocoa, and a little espresso for some of the liquid. IMO the key is adding the dry and wet ingredients into the whipped butter and shortening very slowly, alternating dry vs wet, and whipping completely with each small addition. At the end I am going more by the consistency that I want than the exact amounts in the recipe.

I am no expert at putting it on. I use a dinner knife ! They end up looking pretty good. What I have found to help the most is to freeze the cupcakes solid. It is very easy to ice frozen solid cupcakes.

The buttercream recipe holds up pretty well to hot weather if you make it thick. Also if you can keep them in a covered container with some hard plastic ice packs until it is time to serve them, that may help keep them cool.

I use the Wilton chocolate buttercream recipe, with Hershey's extra dark cocoa, and a little espresso for some of the liquid. IMO the key is adding the dry and wet ingredients into the whipped butter and shortening very slowly, alternating dry vs wet, and whipping completely with each small addition. At the end I am going more by the consistency that I want than the exact amounts in the recipe.

I am no expert at putting it on. I use a dinner knife ! They end up looking pretty good. What I have found to help the most is to freeze the cupcakes solid. It is very easy to ice frozen solid cupcakes.

The buttercream recipe holds up pretty well to hot weather if you make it thick. Also if you can keep them in a covered container with some hard plastic ice packs until it is time to serve them, that may help keep them cool.

Huge thank you for taking the time to be so specific and thorough! Thank you! I had forgotten that in the past, I do freeze the cupcakes for just the reason you stated. And, thanks for the hint to keep them cool until they are arranged.:001_smile:

Butter cream is pretty stiff. If you just want a cheapo version though, shortening, powder sugar, dark cocoa powder and drizzle of milk is the easiest. It's like butter cream but without the eggs and labor. I know I know, dark cocoa and organic cream is better LOL...but 40 cupcakes? If they were close friends I would, but if it's just like a big party I may go the cheap and easy/quick route.

Butter cream is pretty stiff. If you just want a cheapo version though, shortening, powder sugar, dark cocoa powder and drizzle of milk is the easiest. It's like butter cream but without the eggs and labor. I know I know, dark cocoa and organic cream is better LOL...but 40 cupcakes? If they were close friends I would, but if it's just like a big party I may go the cheap and easy/quick route.

thank you -- THIS is helpful.:)

The Wilton recipe does not call for eggs or heavy cream. It is equal parts butter and shortening combined with powdered sugar, a little milk or other liquid, and vanilla. I do not recommend doing it with just shortening or just butter. The equal parts combination makes it better. The only "labor" is the slow alternating wet/dry additions and complete whipping with each addition to get a very creamy and fluffy texture.

The Wilton recipe does not call for eggs or heavy cream. It is equal parts butter and shortening combined with powdered sugar, a little milk or other liquid, and vanilla. I do not recommend doing it with just shortening or just butter. The equal parts combination makes it better. The only "labor" is the slow alternating wet/dry additions and complete whipping with each addition to get a very creamy and fluffy texture.

Helpful - learning so much here tonight.:)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I gave up on all chocolate cake and icing recipes after I had this.

They are chocolate people. It was in their best interest to make the perfect chocolate cake, and they have.

It's VERY liquidy. Very. That is a good thing. And it whips up in no time.

Could you make a few GF ones and ship them? Pretty please?? :D

well, tonight i baked. They are all in the freezer now so they will be easier to handle with the frosting. I have a bag of 12 that i won't use b/c they came out too high - normally i would slice off the tops so they couldbe frosted nice and high, but i have enough that came out the right height so.........clearly i am exhausted and rambling.

going to bed -- have to be up early to frost - these have to be at the pool for 10am. kids have to be there at 7:30 for prax.