Menu

New to it all~ Are we too late?

Guest karolina

Guest karolina

Have 6th grader going into 7th. Jumped into Home school using A beka for 6th grade last year. Just found and ordered "Well Trained Mind. Is there hope for my 12 year old to apply this method? I also wondering about The Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. Would appreciate some advice.

Naw, it's not too late at ALL!

The Well Educated Mind title is great. It helps you to understand the different classifications of books and how to approach them and gives you skills for navigating through them through note taking and journaling.

It's basically literary skills, while The Well Trained Mind is about implementing a larger education. They are great complements to each other.

Absolutely! I'm pretty sure Susan has instructions on how to do just that. As with any family you will modify the method to meet your child's needs. So if you can't find Susan's recommendations, just go through the book and think about what level matches your child's skills best.

Ah, sorry, I skimmed the title, "The Well ..." and was thinking you already read the WTM. I think you will find "The Well Trained Mind" very helpful.

Edited by Jvander
misread question

Not too late at all.

DS16 was homeschooled 5th grade thru 8th grade and the WTM was a great resource for us. In fact, DD18 and I used it last year to get ideas when she decided to homeschool for the first time during her senior year!

Hello and welcome!

Our oldest came home after 6th. We did all ABeka for 7th, then moved to a more CM approach for the rest of his schooling. As long as I explained the new things as we went along he totally got it. For example, he'd never done a narration before. I explained, gave an example, and had him try with a bit of coaching. After just a couple times he got it- and loved it. I found that even though he was gifted he really disliked textbooks. Moving away from them was a great way for him to learn. He just finished his first year of college and is doing well-- so it definitely isn't too late for you or your child.

Not to late, but don't get overwhelmed. Save the Well Educated Mind for after you have figured out your own routine.

I am not sure what abeka is like as I haven't used it. So first things first.

Do you want a teacher guide and a "boxed" or guided curriculum or do you want to put it together yourself from The Well Trained Mind?

Look on you tube and watch some of Susan's videos about teaching. When you are reading the book it can seem crazy, but then when you watch how she implements, you can see how it works.

Best of luck

Welcome!

We started homeschooling when my daughter was a 7th grader. I'd say that we were WTM inspired not WTM purists. Said daughter currently attends a wonderful liberal arts college. It's definitely not too late.

Regards,

Kareni