Menu

How much school do you do with your talented child?

First off - I'm not very good at explaining myself in posts so bear with me.

Talented meaning a child who dances a lot or plays a lot of music or is a child actor. Something that takes up hours of the day; every day.

how much 'regular' schoolwork can/do you fit in? how do you find the balance?

does that make sense?

thanks

Robin

It does make sense.

I have two who are (or have been, since my daughter has graduated already) very busy with music and theatre. The reality is that sometimes school has to give a little in order to make room for them to pursue passions. Honestly, I've never yet been able to fit in a full load of schoolwork during tech week, for example. And the spring that my son was away from home for a total of a month workshopping a new production? We were lucky if we manage to do math and some reading every day.

And mine aren't professionals.

However, I do insist that we make up anything that doesn't get done. Some years, we run a little into the summer. Others, we do schoolwork on weekends or skip spring break in order to catch up again.

For me, it would have to be pretty extreme situation to justify just doing less school for a whole year.

It depends on how old the child is. A 7 y.o. will need less school time than a teen. Our 7 y.o. is at gym 3 hours a day during the school year, and now 4 during the summer. Because she's still young, it's not an issue. We just try to make sure she has as much school time as gym time ;)

Sometimes we have to be creative by doing school at different times each day, and weekends. Because this whole crazy thing started while she's young, we can make small adjustments along the way, rather than jumping into a consuming activity all at once.

During shows we still get in about 4 to 6 hours of school a day. It's the house that suffers.

Really, there is no need to let academics falter. Even when a kiddo is working 8 hours a day, there is still time for school. But it might mean that the kiddo has no time for chores, playtime, tv, etc. One just has to hope the working environment is fun enough to provide some R&R and socialization. It also means that mom has no time for cleaning, shopping, etc. Wendy's salads become mom's friends. Priorities can shift back to normal once a show is over.

In the meantime, priority is sleep and gas in the car.

:auto:

I have a 12yo dd who is a Level 10 competitive gymnast. She trains about 24 hours a week right now, but in the fall it is going to ramp up as she gets ready to go Elite. She is the youngest child, and I am in the process of trying to figure out how we are going to do this. This level of participation in something non-academic is new territory for me. She is definitely not as academically inclined as her siblings, which is how I am bent, so cutting anything out of her school day (which we will have to do, at least to some degree next year) is giving me a lot of angst. She is a gifted gymnast, though. I feel like I have to let her see how far this talent will take her.

Up until now, she has done school from 7:00-12:00, gone to gym, and then finished up schoolwork after dinner. I have never had to remind her and beg her to do her schoolwork. She has an incredible work ethic. I am going to give her our regular 7th grade work next year, but if it is just too much, I am aware I may have to cut something. As long as she keeps up in math and science, can write well, and reads a lot she will be fine. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. :001_smile:

I very much understand the conflict, but I am going to move forward with a challenging high school program. Even in 7th grade, we're looking at double digit hours of dance, but strong academics are very important to me, and, so far, to my child.

Even if my child were the most wonderful dancer in the world (which dc is not lol), dc needs a back- up plan, plus I want my child to be well -educated. I think all dancers (ballet ones, anyway) should know a decent amount of French, or perhaps Russian. I want my child to write well, to speak clearly and be articulate. There is no compromise there for me. A dancer has until 30, maybe 35, until they need to move on. Not every dancer is going to be a choreogrpaher or teacher of dance.

My plan is to limit dance hours to no more than 4 hours a day during the academic year, leaving summers to dance the 6+ per day. Currently, dc dances in the later afternoon and early evening Usually 4-8 or 8:30) , leaving the entire day to concentrate on academics, field trips, family life, reading etc). We school some subjects through summer-- mainly language arts (currently WWS) and Math (currently Algebra), and French. When the Summer Intensive begins, DC will take a break from formal academics.

This works for my child, although this would have been difficult for another of mine. We had a crazy-busy Spring, and I thought dc needed a full break, so I told dc to take a couple of weeks off from WWS and Math. Dc chose not to. "I want to to do it now, so I am ahead when I go to the SI." If dc was not so motivated, it would be difficult. I am not sure how this will all go down in high school, but we have both been witness to dancers who dance well, but who are not able to express themselves well. OTOH, we know other dancers who are at excellent colleges with challenging programs. A highly motivated student can do both, although it does take some direction from the parent, and lots of help with organization and time mangement.

I hate to bring TV into this, lol. ;) But dc and I watched Breaking Pointe (reality show about a professional dance company in Salt Lake City) recently, and one of the young women in the company is only 19 years old. She is amazingly gifted and has a bright future. But she is not in college, and seemingly has no plans to attend. I suppose she will be one of those dancers who is so talented that she will have a long career and then probably be employed in the dance world as a teacher etc. Perhaps she will go to college later. However, dd and I both felt the choice not to go to college might be one she could regret. I don't know. Nobody knows, but it's something we discussed. Would the opportunity to dance with a professional company exist for this young women in 4 years, or do you grab the brass ring when it's presented?

Edited by LibraryLover

My dd is now a professional ballerina and college student. While she was young and training, she was at her ballet school from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM, Monday-Friday. She started her schoolday at 7 AM and did virtually all of her work before we left for the studio. Because her studio was a full day professional program, the kids who boarded there did their work at the same time. They were also given an hour from 2-3 PM to finish up any schoolwork for the day. Usually that was sufficient for her. If not, she did a little work when she came home. Mostly reading from whatever novel we were working on for her Literature class. She did her hardest subjects...math, foreign language, etc. in the morning when he was at her best mentally. She actually loved coming home and reading after dance. She said it was relaxing and helped her refocus.

My dd has been a competitive dancer since she was 7. When we started homeschooling (dd was 8), we kept it basic and light. I think we spent less than 2hrs a day on academics. However, we made a point to do a lot with the homeschool group - classes, field trips, and monthly academic clubs (geography, creative writing, art). Dd has always learned best through experience and hands-on activities. Seatwork was only for reading and math.

Depending on the time of year, dd would have anywhere from 6 to 20 hrs a week of dance on top of several weekends away at comps and a week away in the summer.

I have a friend who is a theater director, and she has seen children used/abused by the system. She refers to some of what she has seen as the "Disney Casting Puppy Mill", leading to a one -way ticket to rehab.

Parents have to be very careful. Even for those children who do 'make it' (minority), the end result is not always pretty. Kids have to have more in their heads and hearts. They have to have goals beyond wanting (or even achieving) fame.

My dd is now a professional ballerina and college student. While she was young and training, she was at her ballet school from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM, Monday-Friday. She started her schoolday at 7 AM and did virtually all of her work before we left for the studio. Because her studio was a full day professional program, the kids who boarded there did their work at the same time. They were also given an hour from 2-3 PM to finish up any schoolwork for the day. Usually that was sufficient for her. If not, she did a little work when she came home. Mostly reading from whatever novel we were working on for her Literature class. She did her hardest subjects...math, foreign language, etc. in the morning when he was at her best mentally. She actually loved coming home and reading after dance. She said it was relaxing and helped her refocus.

I agree. I think there is enough time in a day to do both, especially when young. If my child decided to try a professional school when older, I can see how this plan would work. A lot can be done from 7-11, and then later in the afternoon. However, I harbor no illusions there aren't challenges during performance times.

A student needs parental encouragment to stick to a solid academic program. I don't want to give up one for the other. One thing I've noticed is that a person with a passion tends to carry that drive into other areas. A body in motion stays in motion, as they say. I am frequently impressed by my child's ability to manage time, get things done, and stay focused when needed.

Edited by LibraryLover

My tips:

1. Choose curriculum wisely. Something easy to implement and follow. Possibly even something the student can do on their own, if they need to work waiting at rehearsal/between classes- or some time that Mom isn;t present to provide direct instruction. Also, something that is mostly self-contained- not dependent on dozens of library books and massive hands-on projects.

2. Photocopy the table of contents, and plan ahead which lessons can be skipped or condensed/combined. For example, in History- if you did an intense unit study on the Macedonians last year, skip that chapter this year. And in Math- you can probably skip those first 10-20 lessons- the ones that usually are review- "What is a number?" :glare: This will help you to finish the book/course without feeling rushed at the end, or wasting time doing what they already know.

3. If you know in advance when your busiest times will be, schedule around that. Don't have a massive 10-page research paper due at performance time.

4. Give priority to outside classes with paid teachers- Diamond kept up with Spanish & Constitutional Law during show time, but we let Science go, and are now focusing on finishing it up over the summer with no distractions.

5. ALWAYS carry a book to read. Preferably for school, but for fun is OK too. Makes good use of waiting time.

I have a child actor. We typically fit in about 3 - 4 hours a day, but we take off the two weeks before show opening - this is usually when she begins to require a lot of sleep and downtime in order to make it through the show w/o getting run down. Once opening weekend is over, the schedule opens up and we can resume our lives again for a few days a week. We school year round so we don't feel guilty taking the time off.

Edited by kimmie38017

I hate to bring TV into this, lol. ;) But dc and I watched Breaking Pointe (reality show about a professional dance company in Salt Lake City) recently, and one of the young women in the company is only 19 years old. She is amazingly gifted and has a bright future. But she is not in college, and seemingly has no plans to attend. I suppose she will be one of those dancers who is so talented that she will have a long career and then probably be employed in the dance world as a teacher etc. Perhaps she will go to college later. However, dd and I both felt the choice not to go to college might be one she could regret. I don't know. Nobody knows, but it's something we discussed. Would the opportunity to dance with a professional company exist for this young women in 4 years, or do you grab the brass ring when it's presented?

Yes, you can do both and yes, you can also go back to college when your career is over. Most dancers do. Beckanne is completely amazing and doing exactly what she should be doing. She's going straight to the top. Glad you're enjoying Breaking Pointe. ;)

Yes, you can do both and yes, you can also go back to college when your career is over. Most dancers do. Beckanne is completely amazing and doing exactly what she should be doing. She's going straight to the top. Glad you're enjoying Breaking Pointe. ;)

The young woman is amazing. I only imagine it would be impossible to not grab the opportunity as a principal dancer in a major company. It's why a dancer dances. Even at my dc's young age, I can see the grit and instinct. It's intense.

I can't say I am exactly enjoying the program. That's a hard life. The dancers are not as 'intellectual' as I'd like to think dancers might be (my problem, not theirs. All of them are amazing, and I love watching them dance!). I noticed a couple of them have questionable grammar, for instance. That did surprise me, and don't ask me why. It's possible they have neglected their studies because they have been so driven by their passion and gifts...and they *are* gifted.

BP seems to give actual insight into the world of ballet. The artistic director is a YGAP judge etc, yes?

It's heartbreaking in so many ways. You have to want that roller coaster. I am thrilled by the technique and beauty. They are so dedicated and lovely. I've seen only some of the programming, so I can't give a truly thoughtful review. I can't choose my dc's future, but I have to say that the show scares me.

Edited by LibraryLover

About Breaking Pointe - I'm not sure it is completely representative of the company. They are only spotlighting the few dancers willing to be exposed in reality tv... We are really enjoying it though...

I have no idea. Diane would be the one to ask, as her daughter is a professional dancer. But it appears that most of the principal/soloists of this particular company are spolighted. I don't know about the entire corps de balllet, but some are represented.

Edited by LibraryLover

About Breaking Pointe - I'm not sure it is completely representative of the company. They are only spotlighting the few dancers willing to be exposed in reality tv... We are really enjoying it though...

You're right...most of the dancers are not represented. The ones that are featured wanted that sort of focus on them. Obviously a few were asked to participate, but not all of them chose to. Only one of their principal dancers is featured, none of their female soloists, two demi-soloists, one corps member, and one member of their second company. There are quick appearances from a few others here and there. It's also a bit staged. The dancers don't usually look that good in the studio during practice. :lol: And I've never seen Adam wear a suit in rehearsal. Like ever. :D

And yes, Library Lover, he is a YAGP judge. Has your dd ever participated? It's a great experience...the judges' feedback is invaluable. One of my dd's teachers, Misha Tchoupakov, is a YAGP master teacher. If she has the opportunity to compete there, she will be able to participate in his workshops on the day after the competition. He's an amazing dancer and instructor...my dd loves him!

Edited by DianeW88