Menu

help with a math problem

OK, we are totally stumped on this one.

Please help because I don't have an answer key and I can't stand to just skip it.:

With each filled seat, the number of people on a Ferris wheel doubles.

Write an expression to describe this situation.

How many people are on a Ferris wheel with 17 seats filled?

Thanks you math whizzes :)

Jen

With each filled seat, the number of people on a Ferris wheel doubles.

What is the grade level on this book? And who is the publisher? (Just insanely curious)

ANyway, the question doesn;t seem to make sense as it is worded.

1 seat filled = 2 riders

2 seats filled = 4 riders... yep, that's doubled.

3 seats filled = 6 riders, nope... not doubled unless you squeeze 4 in that seat, which might work- giving you 8 riders until you get to...

4 seats filled = 16 riders? (based on doubling the previous answer which was squeezing extras into a seat.) :confused:

Perhaps they meant "With each filled seat, the number of riders on a Ferris Wheel is double the number of seats filled." Or something like that.

Wonder what the teacher's guide actually says here. :D

…

With each filled seat, the number of people on a Ferris wheel doubles. … /QUOTE]

I thought when a number doubled each time, you would use exponents, so 2 with 17 as an exponent. A ridiculous number on a ferris wheel, but isn't that what you'd do?

:iagree: That's how I read the question.

I thought when a number doubled each time, you would use exponents, so 2 with 17 as an exponent. A ridiculous number on a ferris wheel, but isn't that what you'd do?

I think you're right.

To the OP, let's look at them next to each other:

y=2x

1 seat filled = 2 people

2 seats filled = 4 people

3 seats filled = 6 people

4 seats filled = 8 people

That's not doubling, it's adding two each time.

y=2^x

1 seat filled = 2 people

2 seats filled = 4 people

3 seats filled = 8 people

4 seats filled = 16 people

So for 17 seats filled, 2^17 = 131,072 people on the ferris wheel. That's one big ferris wheel.....:001_huh:

:iagree: This is how I read it too. But as a math major, I would say it was very poorly worded.

:iagree: This is how I read it too. But as a math major, I would say it was very poorly worded.

:iagree: My guess is that they were *trying* to get at the 2x=y equation, but they mistakenly described a 2^x=y equation. But the concrete thing they used to embody the problem didn't make sense with what they *said* and instead makes us think of what they (probably) *meant*.

ETA: I would not give this problem to my kids without editing it.

This is basic algebra from ck12. There is no answer key for the practice problems. I figured it was something to do with exponents, but I just could not get it to work in any way that made sense.

Maybe it is worded incorrectly? I would love it if that were the case because then I would not feel so dumb. :D