Menu

Gift ideas needed for Amish kids

Amish do Birthdays? I didn't know that.

As for ideas - maybe some good books that would be acceptable? Rod & Staff sell some nice children's books that would be acceptable to most Amish I think. I know most Amish don't do dolls or anything with a face. Maybe a trip somewhere? Honestly I'd go talk to their mom if possible and explain that you would like to get the girls something for their birthdays, but aren't sure what would be okay to get them. It really depends on what type of Amish they are and how strictly they observe some of the no modern things rules.

Do you have Amish run stores? If so, go check out their toy section- wooden toys (push/pull, puzzles, ball toss, shape sorter etc) or a bouncy ball, bubbles, candy treat- something small.

I grew up in Amish country- its really hit or miss what 'rules' each group follows, so try to take notes and maybe ask the mom. :)

This is from someone with no real life experience with Amish-- just read lots of fictional books, TV shows etc. Someplace in that store of knowledge :lol: a girl about that age was given art supplies, coloured pencils I think. Anyway she loved them.

No dolls? I had no idea. Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_doll

I was thinking toy horses and most little girls love horses, but they have faces too.

Dawn

Amish do Birthdays? I didn't know that.

As for ideas - maybe some good books that would be acceptable? Rod & Staff sell some nice children's books that would be acceptable to most Amish I think. I know most Amish don't do dolls or anything with a face. Maybe a trip somewhere? Honestly I'd go talk to their mom if possible and explain that you would like to get the girls something for their birthdays, but aren't sure what would be okay to get them. It really depends on what type of Amish they are and how strictly they observe some of the no modern things rules.

Edited by DawnM

No dolls? I had no idea. Interesting.

I was thinking toy horses and most little girls love horses, but they have faces too.

Dawn

I think horses would be okay - I want to say it's only human like faces that are a no-no. I had it explained to me a long time ago when I saw an Amish faceless doll.

I asked my BIL who grew up horse and buggy Mennonite. Be careful with art supplies, not all Amish groups allow them. He said to explain to the mom that your little girls would like to get them birthday presents and ask if that is okay first of all and then ask what they like. Keep it small, inexpensive and simple. These were his suggestions. He said don't be surpriaed if she seems to blow you off or says you don't need to, just explain this is important to your children.

Colouring books and crayons, sidewalk chalk, scooters (two wheel, stand up), some fun sprinkler thing to hook up to the hose for backyard water play, a marble run, a bag of marbles, fingerpaint, a set of plastic barn animals, puzzles (especially geographic ones), etc.