Menu

What is the "average" homeschool scores for Iowa and the like?

Bess

I know that Iowa scores are made by comparing children throughout the country, but does anyone know what the average scores for homeschoolers are on these tests? Does that question make sense? In other words, I would like to know how my children compare to other homeschoolers. Any info on this would be great.

Thank you!

They are doing a survey of all IOWA Standardized test-takers and will release the results of how homeschoolers do in test taking. I received a letter from my support group after my sons took their tests.

My older son tests well. My younger son does not test well. I need to figure out what is going on with my younger guy. I really felt like not testing him, but my dh said that I should have him get use to the idea of testing.

My older son scores in the 95th percentile and my younger in the 70th percentile. My younger son keeps me humble.

Blessings in your homeschool journey!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:lurk5:

That information is unfortunately not available.

There have been studies widely cited, but they compared only test scores on the Stanford of students who were using BJUP and whose parents chose to have their results included. I have serious doubts about the relevance of the study, but at least the media usually buys it without looking into the methods used. :)

Unless every single homeschooled child who takes the test is successfully surveyed, the study will be flawed. That is probably not going to happen. Actually, it would still be flawed because it wouldn't represent all homeschooled children, but only those who are tested.

Right. Even the new survey of ITBS-taking home schoolers being done this year is entirely self-selecting on two levels: 1) only those home schoolers who choose to give the ITBS, and 2) only those home schoolers who give the ITBS who *choose* to be included in the study.

There's no way to get an accurate number of children home schooled in the US -- getting them all actually tested and compared is well nigh impossible.

That information is unfortunately not available.

/quote]

My little guy just did K, not for the score, but for the first year of yearly tests to make it "part of the routine". It was the K test, but they said to mark him as a 1st grader as he is right at the end of K. He got 1st percentile on vocab (yes folks, right at the bottom). He had never heard of or seen a cafeteria. We haven't got to sporting events, none on TV, he hasn't started sports, thus never heard of a referee. Now then, if Australopithecus or femur or rook had been on the test, he would have done better. I am hoping the tests for older kids are less biased towards vocabulary a child picks up in a classroom-type school!

I also noticed that given the number of questions, a national average was given for one subsection that "average" was 94%. There were so few questions, you could get 100% or 75%, thus to get 94% most kids got 100% but some got 75%. You could be tossed between "high" and "average" on missing one question.

I also noticed kiddo got better and better scores on each test he did, showing me he was "learning how to test" (the goal here). Live and learn.

She was in the 99th percentile on the Iowas.

Take then with a grain of salt though.

I have seen my older dd's SAT scores even out in the upper grades.

In K-4th she was off the charts and the last 2 years seem more representative of her true levels. (Small brag here though, she was still in the 89th percentile for 6th.)

I know that Iowa scores are made by comparing children throughout the country, but does anyone know what the average scores for homeschoolers are on these tests? Does that question make sense? In other words, I would like to know how my children compare to other homeschoolers. Any info on this would be great.

Thank you!

I'm in agreement that there can be no such truly accurate data. I'll toss my kids out just for your enjoyment though. 1dd ranged from70%-90%; 2dd from 95%-99%; 3dd from 5%-80% (yes the first scores is accurate, accomodations were made in areas that could be accomodated for ld), 1ds from 80%-95%.

My older son tests well. My younger son does not test well. I need to figure out what is going on with my younger guy. I really felt like not testing him, but my dh said that I should have him get use to the idea of testing.

My older son scores in the 95th percentile and my younger in the 70th percentile. My younger son keeps me humble.

I don't have the "big picture" for your younger son, but the 70th percentile is not bad at all! This means he is testing above average. It doesn't mean that he does not test well ....