Menu

An encouraging read...link to SWB interview inside

Rhondabee

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/How_To_Homeschool/articles/articles.php?aid=226

You will probably have to cut and paste as I haven't figured out how to do links here, yet.

This was buried in one of Trivium's posts about the "deceptions of Classical Education" (or some such non-sense). I thought it was just too good to let it stay buried.

Thanks to Michelle in MO for linking it first! What a great picker-upper in the middle of these bleak Jan/Feb days!

It's become hard in the UK for children to go to university before age 18, because of child protection concerns. I've heard some parents of gifted children railing against this, but I'm quite content. There are many things you can do with an advanced child (in the UK there is a full open university system) without expecting early emotional and organisational maturity. The gap year also sounds good - it's quite common in the UK and often a good thing.

I also liked what she said about different children reaching maturity in different subjects at different times. That's certainly my experience and it's nice to hear it stated.

Laura

SWB said "The other thing that I am getting increasingly irritated about is the focus on early college admission. Sending your child off to school at 16 (or earlier) is becoming a mark of prestige. Too many parents are using early college admissions to reassure themselves that they've done a good job. "I must have done something right-my kid is 16 and ready to go to college." I really hate this increasing tendency to use early college admissions as a status symbol. I would like to see homeschoolers move more towards taking a gap year, a year off before college. We have this enormous flexibility; why don't we take advantage of it? I have taught college freshmen for almost ten years now, and I can tell which ones are 18 and which ones are 19 without even asking. My 19-year-old freshmen are better organized, they get more sleep, and they are happier. Most of all, they know what they are trying to get out of the experience. Emotional maturity can't be rushed; you simply have to live a certain number of years before you develop it."

This is sooo true! I'm already planning (and saving) to do a final year with each dd traveling and reading in depth and exploring the world and their specific interests. I started college when I was barely 17, and was so unprepared emotionally. Academically, I was fine, but the experience was overwhelming and for the first time in my life I just wanted out of school. Tested out as much as I could, blew through, and graduated at 19 without a clue what I wanted to do with my life. Fortunately, I got the bright idea to go to law school, and while I don't believe in regrets (I like my life, and everything in my past built to this point) I do think I would have had a much better college experience if I had kicked back a bit and waited a year to start.

Just felt the need to share :)