Menu

Question about raw milk

It is best to chill the milk overnight and then use a small ladle to remove the cream gently skimming the surface all around. It is easier to do in a wide mouth jar like a large pickle jar or crock.

Then you can do many things with the cream: make butter after it is out for about 2 hours, freeze it for later to use in a recipe, or make ice cream,

or make creme fresche.

If you make butter, you need to strain the buttermilk off and press the butter down several times to get the excess milk out. Then you have buttermilk for pancakes, cornbread, or whatever you like.:001_smile:

Cream still rises after the first skimming in ours. I used Nourishing traditions cookbook to heal my gut after endometriosis ravaged it. I was in severe pain until I started culturing butter, and making cultured dairy products at home with raw milk.

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM

You're speaking of cow milk, right? With goat milk, we just swish it in because it's not as -- creamy -- that way. We don't/can't skim the cream off.

And by the way ... YUM! I love our raw milk that we started drinking from our goats about two years ago. Yum, yum, yum. After Lent, the first thing I want is a tall glass of cold milk. To this point we've only had one goat in milk, so with nine of us, there was something of a limited supply. But a second mama gave birth today, so in about a month we'll be swimming in the stuff with two goats producing!

Edited by milovaný

You're speaking of cow milk, right? With goat milk, we just swish it in because it's not as -- creamy -- that way. We don't/can't skim the cream off.

And by the way ... YUM! I love our raw milk that we started drinking from our goats about two years ago. Yum, yum, yum. After Lent, the first thing I want is a tall glass of cold milk. To this point we've only had one goat in milk, so with nine of us, there was something of a limited supply. But a second mama gave birth today, so in about a month we'll be swimming in the stuff with two goats producing!

Yes cows milk. Although next year we are going to get goats!! :D

Yes cows milk. Although next year we are going to get goats!! :D

Very cool! We've really enjoyed ours. Our 16yo dd does most of the work with them. We haven't had a huge problem with them escaping like you often hear about (we have chain link fencing, but even when my daughter pastures them, they just hang out and munch for the most part). We started with two Nubians and now have those two plus the daughter of one (who's a Nubian/Alpine cross; her brother is in the freezer), and the newborns who are full Nubian.

Very cool! We've really enjoyed ours. Our 16yo dd does most of the work with them. We haven't had a huge problem with them escaping like you often hear about (we have chain link fencing, but even when my daughter pastures them, they just hang out and munch for the most part). We started with two Nubians and now have those two plus the daughter of one (who's a Nubian/Alpine cross; her brother is in the freezer), and the newborns who are full Nubian.

We need to get a good fence in, that is why we are waiting until next year. Not sure what kind we will get, but dh has talked about Nubians before. The kids can't wait! We already have chickens, dogs, rabbits, outside cats, a guinea pig, dogs and a lizard :lol:

We also don't remove the cream. We just shake and pour.

But if you have to, I would just caution to make sure you sterilize whatever you use , ie pouring it into another container or using a turkey baster as suggested, RIGHT before you do that. If it's been sitting in the cupboard, technically it's not sterile, dust, handling, etc. If it's not sterile and the milk touches it, say you stick said Turkey Baster into milk jug to suck out cream, that is introducing germs and bacteria to the milk....and perhaps shortening it's life.

We don't drink raw, but we do get local, non-homogenized milk that gets a little cream on top. Perhaps it's less than raw, since it's just a plug and not really enough to do anything with. I eat it. :D It's SO good. :)