Menu

Dish or Direct tv?

We have moved and are considering signing up for a television service after 5 years without. Not sure we will take the plunge yet, but if we do, which service is better? We want to keep the amount as low as is reasonable....and dont need premim channels.....thanks!

Do not go with Dish if you have to get their new Hopper program. It stinks. We "upgraded" and when we complained about the lousy service we were told we couldn't go back to the old system and that they knew the Hopper was "buggy" but they were working on it. :glare:

Unfortunately we can't get a signal for Direct TV where we live.

I would never go with a satellite dish again. It was the worst. I honestly can't remember which company I had.

Everytime the wind blew the tv signal went out. I had to have 3 service appointments and not once did they show when they were supposed to. Either they never showed or they showed 6-8 hours after they were supposed to. Customer service was the pits. According to the guys who showed (who were from several states over), they were so short staffed and just thought nothing of not honoring appointments. After being laughed at by customer service for the final time I canceled my service.

It was another nightmare to come get them get the dish off my roof and then they started saying I would be charged hundreds of dollars if I didn't send back additional equipment to them (that was on the roof and I had to remove and some other bizarre stuff).

I would go tv free before I dealt with them again.

We've always liked DirecTV. We've had them on and off over the years, in multiple locations/states. We have very high wind storms where we currently live and have only had our service go out a handful of times and it's always restored very quickly. I haven't compared prices in a long time, but we are happy with them.

We have had Dish for several years (probably 7). We've had wonder experiences with customer service and have moved with Dish 4 times. The price is very reasonable and we rarely have issue with the satellite going out due to weather. I was a bit skeptical with our last move to windy Oklahoma, but we've been pleased.

We've been with Dish a few years now and I absolutely love it. Whenever we've needed customer service (I can think of 3 times) they've been 100% perfect IMO. We have the DVR so we can tape things (I wouldn't do TV without it as I don't care to be on a schedule when we watch things), then a low package + local channels. I believe we're paying $45/month.

We don't have any weather issues and it's windy here often with several storms, etc.

I can't compare to Direct, but I know their ads come here and they're more expensive. I have no need to check them out.

We had Dish when we first moved here and it stunk. So we go DirecTv and it was ok. We eventually moved to cable because our internet was cable and we were already paying for it. That was the worst of all, and the most expensive.

We ended up putting up a new antenna during the digital change, and we get lots of channels and have streaming Netflix. It's been the perfect solution for us, and remarkably better "service" than satellite or cable. Go figure.

We had Dish and it was fine. My favorite part of them was that when I blocked a channel, it did not even appear in the channel guide as an option any longer. That was great because if I found a whole channel offensive or something I didn't want my kids to see, they didn't see it at all. However, during rain and storms, sometimes even just a small amount of cloud cover we would lose service. We also had more trouble receiving a signal from them. The dish itself also seemed more finicky and could be easily knocked off signal by wind or the weight of snow/ice which led to more repair calls...

About a year ago we switched to DirectTV for the lower prices in our area. The signal is WAY better. I think we have lost signal maybe 2 times and then just momentarily during tornados and some of the heaviest storms I have ever seen. I love the better selection of channels for the kids, and us in general. However, what I don't like is that when I block a channel, it still shows in the guide. It can't be opened without a passcode, but sometimes I don't even want the names of some shows to come up, especially on pay-per-view. I also love the ability to record shows and watch later. I LOVE fast forwarding thru commercials!

Another bonus that I just heard about is the ability with Direct to put the service on hold when you are not using it. We have friends who only have direct for the football coverage each year. When football season is over, they ask to suspend their contract until the next season. I think they pay something like $5 a month during the months they don't have service. They are not able to do that with Dish.

Speaking of football, the available sports coverage thru Direct is overwhelming, but loved by my dh and ds. We received some special NFL package with our sign up and then have had it offered again for this fall at a very reduced rate. I have found that I don't have as many music channels as I did on Dish, but since the boys are happy, I don't complain.

We had a local provider set us up though and I highly recommend that. They actually provide service for both companies and were able to help us compare the 2 and make decisions. They also had the same package deals available as we wre seeing advertised with the 800 numbers. We are billed directly from Direct, but if there is any problem, we call the local people. We have found the response time faster and better than we had for Dish. But I really think that is because we are working with locals who are not part of some call center in another town.

We live in a rural area so cable, Netflix streaming, etc. are unavailable to us. We have had Directv for several years and have been very happy with it. We rarely lose service (I can count on one hand the instances it has gone out). I LOVE the HD DVR that allows us to pause live tv, record multiple shows at once, skip commercials, etc.