Menu

Can Geography = Science?

Sitting down today to map out the final two years for DS. He'll take Apologia Physics next year, but for his final year I wanted him to do a dual credit science. I think he'd really enjoy a course in physical geography at some point (being the outdoors, naturalist type). In England you could take a degree in geography and it was considered a BS. I know they touch on physical geography here in the US in 8th and 9th grade science courses, but I don't think they do it to a great depth. For the most part geography seems to be regarded as social studies here. Do you think a college level course would also be viewed in that light? Do we have to find something more akin to "Geology" to make it sound more scientific on his transcript?

We definitely could not fit geography in as a social studies course, and I want him to look strong in the sciences for college.

Thanks for any of your suggestions!

Thanks, Jann.

BTW, do you have your own math teaching business, or do you teach for a bigger program? Looking for a Trig online course for DS - have put down a deposit on Veritas Press which at least meets twice a week and has a live classroom rather than a self-teach approach. But DS grumbled about the amount of work they gave him last year for Geometry - above and beyond what the textbook required. So I'm keeping an ear to the ground so to speak.

I would stick with Geology or Earth Science. Be careful choosing a text as many are not intended for the end of high school but rather 8th or 9th grade; you might want to turn to a college text.

You can have a degree in Geography here in the US but BS or BA usually depends on the institution and the focus of the course.

You can have a degree in Geography here in the US but BS or BA usually depends on the institution and the focus of the course.

And BA of BS really does not say anything about the subject. You can have a BA in physics, but that does not make physics an Art.

To the OP: A college text on geology or Earth Science would probably be fine. "Geography" is not considered a science.

FWIW, I did do a physical geography course as an undergrad earth science class.

Physical geography is about land forms, geology, meterology, climate, etc. The focus would be on how the land formations formed and what the effect of those formations is on weather, climate, water, etc. I have often seen the college level course taught out of science departments. Some of the physical geography texts I've seen have a lot of overlap with earth science texts.

Geography that is taught as human or cultural or political geography would be more of a history/political science/social science course. That would look at where people live, how geography impacts politics, crops, history, etc.

So it depends on what type of geography you are planning to do. If the focus on the course is country boundaries, industry, populations and migrations, then it's probably not the science focused geography.

I took Physical Geography as my undergrad lab science credit. It is different than geography or cultural geography. We studied erosion, climate, and the physical scientific aspects of geography. It is definitely a science. It did include math as well, we did calculations on rates of erosion and many other things.

At the university I attended it was one of two sciences most non-science majors took. It was easier than chem and bio, but harder than geology.

Yes it is a valid science credit.

FWIW, I did do a physical geography course as an undergrad earth science class.

Physical geography is about land forms, geology, meterology, climate, etc. The focus would be on how the land formations formed and what the effect of those formations is on weather, climate, water, etc. I have often seen the college level course taught out of science departments. Some of the physical geography texts I've seen have a lot of overlap with earth science texts.

Geography that is taught as human or cultural or political geography would be more of a history/political science/social science course. That would look at where people live, how geography impacts politics, crops, history, etc.

So it depends on what type of geography you are planning to do. If the focus on the course is country boundaries, industry, populations and migrations, then it's probably not the science focused geography.

I would recommend Runkle World Physical Geography Set (Welcome to the Wonderful World of Geography), By Brenda Brewer Runkle. It is a through physical Geography text with land forms, and all kind of earth science at a high school level but also has the geography of mapping and memorization that I wanted the children to know. It was not an easy course(fair warning:)

I would recommend Runkle World Physical Geography Set (Welcome to the Wonderful World of Geography), By Brenda Brewer Runkle. It is a through physical Geography text with land forms, and all kind of earth science at a high school level but also has the geography of mapping and memorization that I wanted the children to know. It was not an easy course(fair warning:)

While we've been enjoy this course-I would recommend caution about using it for a senior in high school.

You need to be aware that on many sites that sell the text it is recommended for grades 6-12. That being the case, if I were trying to have my child complete four years of a science in pursuit of acceptance to a competitive college/university I would not choose Runkle for 12th grade. Admissions counselors often say they want to see a student take the most challenging courses their school offers and that they like to see homeschoolers try to reach a similar level of difficulty. While I realize that AP sciences aren't for every student I'm not sure one could argue that a text that is considered acceptable for a 6th grader is the most challenging course possible for a 12th grader. If your/the students goals for further education include university, I'd consider what text you choose carefully in order to show a progression of difficulty and challenge that admissions committees seem to prefer.

Personally I find Physical Geography/Earth Science to be my favorite of the sciences and my kids have been enjoying the Runkle text. It is challenging enough I might consider it appropriate for a 9th grade science or even for use as a high school course completed before high school but I'd be reluctant to use it as a capstone science for 12th grade.

I realize I'm going at this completely from the perspective of admission to higher education. Since that is a goal my kids have that is a measure I've been using in planning for high school. Also, I'm not faulting the Runkle text in general, I do like it. Nor am I faulting an Earth Science course in high school. I'm advocating being selective about which course and which text you choose for it in senior year and I'm not sure this would be the best choice for a university bound student.