Menu

He's Like Good Will Hunting

I teach adult education and just took on a new student. "John" is not like any other student I've ever had. He's 18, with a history of being homeless for large amounts of his school career, and therefore truant. He was brought in by the special education at risk high school program on the second floor of my building because it's now May, they haven't seen him since April 3, and he doesn't have nearly enough credits to graduate with his class in June.

While in the hallway waiting for me, John starts looking at the art prints I have hanging. He makes amazingly deep observations about the genre, style and mood of them. Then I bring him in and throw a couple of GED practice tests at him-- science (which most adult ed. students do poorly on) and math, which has a shockingly low pass rate, especially with people who walk in off the street, as John did.

He was done with the science test in 20 minutes. Twenty-five questions, all answered correctly, not one erasure. Same thing with the math. Perfect score. I have NEVER had a student earn a perfect score on these tests. Never.

While I was correcting them he picked up a physics book that was on a shelf, wrote a couple problems on the board and solved them. Correctly. I was amazed. The room is used at night for SAT-prep classes so I threw some SAT math at him. Again-- perfect score.

He's homeless, has some mental health issues, but I've spent two days with him now and it's clear to me that he has a brilliant mind. BRILLIANT. I just dont' know what to do to help him! He wants college, and I can help him get that going, but without a stable home, stable mental health, etc. I don't know how it will work.

I'm so frustrated about it--- He's like "Good Will Hunting," or "A Beautiful Mind."

Any ideas??? Social services? I NEED to help this kid but I don't. know. how.

astrid

I teach adult education and just took on a new student. "John" is not like any other student I've ever had. He's 18, with a history of being homeless for large amounts of his school career, and therefore truant. He was brought in by the special education at risk high school program on the second floor of my building because it's now May, they haven't seen him since April 3, and he doesn't have nearly enough credits to graduate with his class in June.

While in the hallway waiting for me, John starts looking at the art prints I have hanging. He makes amazingly deep observations about the genre, style and mood of them. Then I bring him in and throw a couple of GED practice tests at him-- science (which most adult ed. students do poorly on) and math, which has a shockingly low pass rate, especially with people who walk in off the street, as John did.

He was done with the science test in 20 minutes. Twenty-five questions, all answered correctly, not one erasure. Same thing with the math. Perfect score. I have NEVER had a student earn a perfect score on these tests. Never.

While I was correcting them he picked up a physics book that was on a shelf, wrote a couple problems on the board and solved them. Correctly. I was amazed. The room is used at night for SAT-prep classes so I threw some SAT math at him. Again-- perfect score.

He's homeless, has some mental health issues, but I've spent two days with him now and it's clear to me that he has a brilliant mind. BRILLIANT. I just dont' know what to do to help him! He wants college, and I can help him get that going, but without a stable home, stable mental health, etc. I don't know how it will work.

I'm so frustrated about it--- He's like "Good Will Hunting," or "A Beautiful Mind."

Any ideas??? Social services? I NEED to help this kid but I don't. know. how.

astrid

Wow, that is amazing. I hope somone has some idea of how to help him.

I guess I would start looking at scholarship programs--- (the money people, not the paper people) perhaps there is a type of benefactor that would look at this as a special one time thing.

Maybe test his interests and try to get him funding from a potential employer (like computer: Bill Gates,)

Not sure what the best course of action is, but I will offer this thought.

The person with the most power is the one who is willing to wield their power.

Those that wield power can exponentially increase their power when they are able to motivate others to wield their power.

I would bet that you will be able to figure this out with some effort, because you seem like the type who is able to do so.

I pray your student is able to overcome his very real difficulties and take advantage of the opportunities that come his way.

God bless you for caring and taking the time to help him.

If he is currently mentally stable, you might encourage him to go ahead and get his GED testing out of the way ASAP. He will always have that once he gets it even if he goes homeless again it will be there waiting when he needs it. After that he needs to have a diagnosis if he really is mentally ill and have plan of action for keeping it under control before investing time in trying to get into college.

Thanks, Strider. I'm going to do my best. He's an amazing person. Kind of hard to explain but I literally got goose bumps watching him work. About a half hour ago I left him in an empty classroom with an old copy of the PSAT that I wanted him to try, and when I came back to check on him after 15 minutes he was standing at the white board in the front of the classroom with a dry erase marker in his hand. On the board was a huge drawing of a futuristic city, with people, statues, buildings, transportation systems, etc. All drawn with perspective and style. He had finished half the test and was at the board drawing "to clear his brain."

I wanted to take a pic on my iPhone but didn't want to seem intrusive.

astrid

Could he rip through a GED test and then some CLEPs and get into the local CC?

Sounds like it. Plus if homeless he most likely qualifies for buckets of aid - plus if he scores high on tests, merit aid!. He just needs an adult mentor to steer him in the right direction.

If so, do you know any professors that would be interested in looking at his work? Or maybe even an administrator that is higher up? If someone took a personal interest in him he might be able to get the mental help he needs in order to be stable. Then the advocate could pursue housing and financial aide appropriate to his situation. He would need a pretty big network of support to succeed. You are obviously aware of that, and maybe you are the person meant to get it going!

I would start with local mental health services, which will lead you to services for the homeless. Most counties have a mental health department. He needs an eval and a caseworker to help him secure meds/counseling if needed and then housing. THEN I would look for college opportunities. If he's motivated for college but not for mental health services, show him that he needs the services to access college.

If so, do you know any professors that would be interested in looking at his work? Or maybe even an administrator that is higher up? If someone took a personal interest in him he might be able to get the mental help he needs in order to be stable. Then the advocate could pursue housing and financial aide appropriate to his situation. He would need a pretty big network of support to succeed. You are obviously aware of that, and maybe you are the person meant to get it going!

Well, there is Trinity College right here in Hartford, which is excellent. We also have Central Connecticut State University here also, but I'm not sure that would be the right fit for him. We also have University of Hartford, which is a good school, and Saint Joseph College (my alma, undergrad) but that's a womens college. I know someone (old high school friend) who is director of community relations or some such title as that at Trinity-- I think I'll FB message him and see what I can sniff out there. I'm SURE he'll fly through the GED, and he's mentally stable right now, or seems to be, so I'm trying to get him a seat in an exam for next month.

I really appreciate all your suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming! I've got to find a way to keep this mind from going to waste! Which reminds me-- he's African American, so maybe some scholarship money?

astrid