Menu

Almost 16 and has cussed at me twice lately...

Right. I would never use a bull whip on my kids, I would hope I would never have the need. BUT, I hate that good parents with strong families are totally bullied by their teens and they have no real recourse other than to unplug a video game.

That's it, in a nutshell.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try that today and CPS would be at your door, hauling away all your kids.

There is no parental authority anymore, except that granted by the child. Even the other posters here are basically saying this with all the "repair the relationship" talk.

Just wanted to add another voice of agreement.

False dichotomies all over the place.

Mom doesn't have to choose between assault or enduring abuse. This should be obvious, because most sons don't abuse their mothers even though most teen boys are physically bigger and stronger than their mothers. If it took Mom's strong right arm to keep a boy in line then none of the boys would be respectful.

Parents don't have to choose between being authoritarian child abusers or sissy, passive doormats. I don't whip my sons, and they don't disrespect their father or me because we have raised them with high expectations and daily diligence. This is true for many, many families all over the world. It's normal. It's parenting.

Seriously. It's 2012. Surely we all know by now that there are ways to raise children that don't involve beating them up or being beat up by them.

I would agree with almost all of this. I do think that the AP/Gentle parenting kids are often very disrespectful and self centered (more than their peers)at least as younger children, not sure about teens.

Nice assertion. Do you have data to back that up?

AP is a BABY style and gentle parenting is a name without an affiliation. Both represent a small minority of parents. You sound like Rosenthal who mocks the style but does not accurately portray it.

Mom doesn't have to choose between assault or enduring abuse. This should be obvious, because most sons don't abuse their mothers even though most teen boys are physically bigger and stronger than their mothers. If it took Mom's strong right arm to keep a boy in line then none of the boys would be respectful.

Parents don't have to choose between being authoritarian child abusers or sissy, passive doormats. I don't whip my sons, and they don't disrespect their father or me because we have raised them with high expectations and daily diligence. This is true for many, many families all over the world. It's normal. It's parenting.

Seriously. It's 2012. Surely we all know by now that there are ways to raise children that don't involve beating them up or being beat up by them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Try that today and CPS would be at your door, hauling away all your kids.

There is no parental authority anymore, except that granted by the child. Even the other posters here are basically saying this with all the "repair the relationship" talk.

How dare CPS keep children from being beaten with bullwhips.

Darn that nanny state!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Absolutely. It's also sad to see "repair the relationship" advice treated with derision, like it's a load of nonsense. I'm glad that it's not the case for the OP.

I don't think it is a very good idea to compare real abuses based on abuses written about in works of fiction.

OP, I've never dealt with this. I remember that my brother was very naughty (not abusive, but into D&D and starting to look at p*rn). My mom went all "tough love" on him since her religion couldn't accept those things. My precious brother was kicked out of our home by age 13 and lived under bridges until he could get emancipated and join the military at 17. Now looking at my 15 year old son, I can't imagine doing that to him. He's a child who needs a constant support. Every day and every year that means something different. Joanne's advice is very sound.

Parenting is hard, and blended families are very very hard.:grouphug:

:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Nice assertion. Do you have data to back that up?

AP is a BABY style and gentle parenting is a name without an affiliation. Both represent a small minority of parents. You sound like Rosenthal who mocks the style but does not accurately portray it.

Do you mean John Rosemond? That guy makes my eye twitch.:blink: When my mom was alive she would read his most ridiculous articles to me over the phone.:001_smile:

Do you mean John Rosemond? That guy makes my eye twitch.:blink: When my mom was alive she would read his most ridiculous articles to me over the phone.:001_smile:

Yes. Rosenthal was the name of the author I used to study for my counseling exam. Lol

It's been the government's plan all along. They want to take away our bullwhips and give us free cell phones.

ROFL! Where do I get my cellphone? :lol:

I think it's time to pull out the kilt pictures.

I generally read threads like this but do not comment. My oldest child is 11 right now so who knows what's coming down around the bend for us. I do have a troubled 16 year old nephew, who's the product of a broken relationship and years of latch key parenting. I feel like the ongoing troubles for some kids are years in the making when they're not just general teenage angst. I'm very sympathetic to the OP and I hope you can get your DH on board and backing you up. :grouphug: