Menu

CS Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet

ABQmom

What do you all think about this series of books by CS Lewis? I keep seeing them on reading lists and wondering what ages would enjoy them. Also, would it make a good read aloud or better to read to oneself? I'm considering these books as a read aloud, or possible just for ds, age 11.

I read Out of a Silent Planet when I was 12 or 13 and didn't care for it AND didn't "get" it. Read it again (the whole series actually) in my late teens on recommendation of a friend and "got" a lot more out of it (can't say I liked it much though - and I loved the Narnia series, Screwtape Letters and some of Lewis' non-fiction books at that time).

I read it first in early high school, and enjoyed the story line, but I didn't understand most of what is in those books until college. I believe he wrote the with adult readers in mind, not children.

They are some of my favorite books now. They shaped my ideas of angels (I know that is a little weird). I re-read them every few years. "My name, too is Ransom..." Oh, man! And I bawled over the end of Perelandra. Last year I heard on NPR about some organization going by N.I.C.E. and got the creeps. :)

If you haven't read them, read them for YOURSELF! But I think at 11 your child may not get most of it.

My daughter just read them for her book club. She was 11 (has since turned 12). She loved them and understood them. She discussed them with her father every night --not only plot and character, but also underlying themes and symbolism. It made me want to read the books -- now if I could only find the time.

Linda

C.S. Lewis's Space trilogy is a favorite of mine (Out of the Silent Planet is the name of the first book, not the name of the series; I'm not sure he actually named the trilogy...I'll have to go upstairs and find my copy. :)) I wouldn't lke to read it aloud, though. I think anyone who is interested should jump in, even if she's only 11yo. :-)