Menu

How would you pronounce

I'm with everyone else, Brin-nuh.

Thanks! I am amazed that the general public for the most part does not know basic phonics rules.

Most classroom teachers don't know them, and therefore the students are not taught.

(Yes, yes, it's not limited to ps, and ps kids can be brilliant spellers too.)

I work in our library and cringe when the parents talk about their kids learning all of the "sight word list." I can only think, Wow, I hope it doesn't screw them up down the road. True "exceptions" are few and far between, if only the kids were taught true phonics.

:iagree: - except the two "N's" would incline me divide them between the syllables and to say "BRIHN-nuh"

:iagree: that's what I've learned in my son's phonics programs. I would've said It with a short I anyway though. Except that at first glance, my eyes told me Bree-Ann-uh, just because it's similar-looking and more common.

My first thought was bri-nuh also. But in defense of the general public, many people are using strange spellings these days. So while i would have looked at that and hought correctly, I would also wonder if it was truly how you pronounced it.

:iagree: - except the two "N's" would incline me divide them between the syllables and to say "BRIHN-nuh"

I thought of this after I posted and wondered if I should go back and edit. Alas I did not and you caught my blunder. :svengo:

Woe is I. :lol: