Menu

Why did dh tell me the "birds" flying around our neighborhood were actually bats?

Every evening around dusk there are little "birds" flying around. Dh had to tell me that they are actually bats. Why? I am so creeped out by them. I'm not hiding in the house from them but I'm very aware where they are at all times. Why couldn't he keep that info to himself?:glare:

One time when I was six years old, I was supposed to be taking a nap and instead I was flipping my curtain back and looking out the window. I went to tell my mom that a bird was hanging upside down on my curtains. She was confused and thought I was just playing and making it up, so she went in my bedroom, pulled the curtain back, and a bat flew at her head. It's probably my most vivid memory from that time period.

Last year, my husband and kids were going outside to play ball and I told them to watch out for bats. They told me that bats don't live in this area and that unlike the area I grew up in, there are absolutely no bats here, they have never seen bats, etc. etc. They came in a few minutes later with wide eyes; even my husband was completely shocked: a bat was hanging on the side of the house, only a few feet from the ground.

I know, I know. The bats are doing their job. They are useful, like spiders-killing annoying bugs. But I'm just a little scared of bats. When we went to the zoo I skipped the bat enclosure area. "That's ok- I'll wait out here..." I'm fine with the bats killing the mosquitoes for us. But I was happy with my ignorance. Now I'm watching where they fly to. I've asked dh more than once, "You don't think they're living in our attic space do you?" Dh smiles and says "No honey" and rolls his eyes:rolleyes:

We like bats. We like them so much we even built them a bat house to encourage them to come and eat all the mosquitoes from our back yard.

I do however prefer them to remain outside rather than coming in....:D

Would you believe me if I told you that one of the best free events during the summer in Austin is watching the bats?

Seriously! Every evening around sundown, people...lots of people...gather by the Congress Ave bridge (aka Ann Richards bridge) to watch these little creatures take flight.

I just wish they flew more toward my neck of the woods to eat mosquitos.

We like bats. We like them so much we even built them a bat house to encourage them to come and eat all the mosquitoes from our back yard.

:iagree: We've had a bat house up for ages, but I don't think we've ever had any takers. :confused:

I wish some bats would show up. We have so many mosquitoes that we could feed a huge # of bats. We're like the all-you-can-eat-Las-Vegas-buffet! Please, spread the word to your bat friends (and enemies). LOL.

Every evening around dusk there are little "birds" flying around. Dh had to tell me that they are actually bats. Why? I am so creeped out by them. I'm not hiding in the house from them but I'm very aware where they are at all times. Why couldn't he keep that info to himself?:glare:

I wish we had bats. I'm trying to figure out a way to attract them:)

I have bats that have set up a colony IN MY BEDROOM WALL.

they come in above the window and do a few laps around the bed, and then scamper into a crack in the wall. I am not that pleased about it. they come home regally just before dawn every day. my husband put up a bat house just outside , but the bats prefer the wall. I know it is silly, but I am afraid of them getting tangled in my hair.

I woke my husband up the other morning to tell him the bats were back, so he took of his pajama pants and stuffed them in the crack above the window!! this stopped them for a few days, but they have worked out how to get past.

Would you believe me if I told you that one of the best free events during the summer in Austin is watching the bats?

Seriously! Every evening around sundown, people...lots of people...gather by the Congress Ave bridge (aka Ann Richards bridge) to watch these little creatures take flight.

I just wish they flew more toward my neck of the woods to eat mosquitos.

Video of Austin Bats

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/354586/amazing_bats_in_austin/

I have bats that have set up a colony IN MY BEDROOM WALL.

they come in above the window and do a few laps around the bed, and then scamper into a crack in the wall. I am not that pleased about it. they come home regally just before dawn every day. my husband put up a bat house just outside , but the bats prefer the wall. I know it is silly, but I am afraid of them getting tangled in my hair.

I woke my husband up the other morning to tell him the bats were back, so he took of his pajama pants and stuffed them in the crack above the window!! this stopped them for a few days, but they have worked out how to get past.

My MIL used the foam outdoor insulation to seal cracks that the bats were using. They would wait for about 2 hours after the bats would leave at night and then seal any cracks they found. She has had very good luck with it. I love the beauty of bats but can imagine living with them indoors. Their guano stinks sooooo bad, I hope you get them out of your house soon.

Good luck getting them out of the wall!

Tap

I love watching bats at night! When we visit our family in Virginia every summer, I sit in my upstairs window and watch them swoop down and catch bugs around the streetlights. I guess they look a little scary up close, but they fly so acrobatically from a distance... and eat up all those bugs.