Menu

What not to miss in NYC with teenagers?

We are leaving next Thursday for New York. We will be staying in Westhampton (got a beautiful, big house on the water for free - long story), and most of our vacation will be relaxing on the beach. My teenagers want to spend a couple of days seeing the sights in NYC. While I have been many places, NYC is not one of them. What do I need to know? What not to miss, other than the obvious touristy places, if we only have a couple of days?

My family loved the Statue of Liberty. It really is spectacular to be standing at her feet looking up. You see angles you never see in pictures. Ellis Island was interesting too. The boat we took went to both places.

It varies so much depending on what the teens want. When we went, we asked our girls what their 'must sees' were and we were surprised by their choices. One wanted a carriage ride in Central Park and to eat a hot dog from a cart. Really. Here I was trying to plan museums and stuff and she chose those things, a Broadway show, and Chinatown. Go figure.

Everyone chose a couple of things and we all walked away happy. Going back this summer and many of the things we did last time are again on the list.

We did a few things people told us we HAD to do, like visiting the Statue of Liberty. Meh...wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be.

What do your teens like? Ours love museums but just wanted NYC to not be about museums, at least the first time.

It varies so much depending on what the teens want. When we went, we asked our girls what their 'must sees' were and we were surprised by their choices. One wanted a carriage ride in Central Park and to eat a hot dog from a cart. Really. Here I was trying to plan museums and stuff and she chose those things, a Broadway show, and Chinatown. Go figure.

:iagree: What do they want to see? That may be a great way to decide. We took our dc in December (they are slightly younger than teens). Ds wanted to have a hot dog from a street vendor (:lol:) & go to the top of the Empire State Building (fun at midnight). Dd wanted to go to some stores & see the Statue of Liberty (which we did by passing by on a boat tour around lower Manhattan; we didn't stop at the actual statue).

Teens would probably enjoy a show, going to Chinatown, shopping along Canal Street, hanging out in Greenwich Village, and sampling all the street vendor food. If you go to a museum, the Met is amazing. (If you plan to check out a lot of the 'touristy' stuff, you might want to check into a City Pass.)

Everyone chose a couple of things and we all walked away happy. Going back this summer and many of the things we did last time are again on the list.

We did a few things people told us we HAD to do, like visiting the Statue of Liberty. Meh...wasn't as much fun as they thought it would be.

What do your teens like? Ours love museums but just wanted NYC to not be about museums, at least the first time.

Iwant to do the museums. I want to go to the Statue of Liberty. :001_smile: I asked my kids what they wanted to do. My 15yo said that she wanted to shop at the 6-story Forever 21. My 13yo wants a hot dog from a cart, and my 12yo said she just wants to "look around." My 18yo wants to go to the Museum of Natural History, so he's the only one talking sense.

I tend to overplan, so I'm going to try really hard not to do that.

If it's a nice day you can take a free ferry ride to Staten Island and back and wave at the Statue of Liberty on the way. I'm not sure about this time of year but the lines to the statue and the lines to get in it can be hours long if you aren't there first thing in the morning. My teens like the MET and Moma and the Museum of Natural History. Dd likes to look in shops. They like broadway shows, coffee shops, China town and walking around. Just being there is fun. I would get a guide book and look at options.

Growing up with 4 brothers & sisters, each of us with different interests, my folks gave us each a "day" (or half-day) while on vacation to choose what the family would be doing. Worked great - we had FUN vacations with little to no arguing! Plan to do the same.