Menu

Dr. Hive: Diabetes Help

Help! I have had wide spread food allergies, low blood pressure and hypoglycemia my whole life. I had my fifth baby 15 months ago after being on bed rest the whole time and I am still very thin. My glucose test in pregnancy showed hypoglycemia, just like all the others.

3 months ago I started getting very sick. I thought I had developed a new allergy, so I started taking foods in and out of my diet. Nothing worked. I started fasting and adding foods back in. Almost everything I ate made me sick. I finally figured out that I could have a protein shake for breakfast, a V8 for lunch and a handful of nuts for a snack. If I ever ate more than that I would have to go to bed. I wold eat a normal dinner and get very sick. This has been going on for a month.

I ate 1/3 of a Chipolte burrito bowl, some chips and a couple homemade PB cookies last night, a very light meal, especially after fasting all day. I was still hungry, but I got that all too familiar sick feeling and had to go to bed. I had this thought to check my blood sugar. It was 140! I took it at 2 hours past the meal and it was 135. I finally felt well enough to get up at 4 hours past. I took my blood sugar and it was 125. At bedtime I was starving so I had some juice and potato chips. I took my morning blood and it was 165! I took it again and it was 40 (I think my hand was wet) and again and it was 135. What is going on? Is my meter defective? The strips are 6 years old.

What do I do now? My doctor retired so I need to find a new one. Are there any other problems that could cause this to come on so suddenly? Help! Thank you for reading so long.

Well, my dd has type 1 diabetes so I have some experience with blood sugar issues: Definitely get a new package of strips. Six year old strips are too old to be accurate.

Your numbers seem ok except for that morning blood sugar - it seems high and really should be checked out.

Being super thin and feeling sick after eating are not normal. Please see a doc soon. :grouphug:

Edited by Mothersweets

Well, my dd has type 1 diabetes so I have some experience with blood sugar issues: Definitely get a new package of strips. Six year old strips are too old to be accurate.

Your numbers seem ok except for that morning blood sugar - it seems high and really should be checked out.

Being super thin and feeling sick after eating are not normal. Please see a doc soon. :grouphug:

:iagree:

DH has been diabetic for 14 of our (as of yesterday) 20 years of marriage.

First off, yes, your strips are expired. The three different numbers where you tested in a row confirm that. An open container of strips expires after three months, and a sealed one isn't much longer (I think I remember one year). The numbers you got could be off by a pretty significant number. And if you really got down to a 40, you'd be lucky to be conscious.

Second, the numbers you got, keeping in mind the strips are expired, are either within the normal range, or so close that they don't really account for how you are feeling.

Normal for two hours after eating is 110-140, and fasting is 75-100. A diabetic's doctor will be pleased if he our she consistently keeps the post-prandial (after eating) number below 180, and the fasting one below 130.

DH can't tell by how he's feeling that he's gone too high until he's quite a bit higher, nearer 300. I can tell he has gone too high a little sooner, 250 or so, because he starts getting first irritable, second aggressive, and finally belligerent.

Going too low is a different story. He starts getting already at 70. At 50ish, he has barely enough conscious thought to stumble to kitchen for food. The times he's been lower than that, he was barely able to nudge me awake and mumble, ” food.”

Talk to your doctor, but if you mention the numbers you got, be sure to emphasize the strips are expired. I probably would only talk about symptoms, because the numbers from strips that old aren't really valid.

Edited by Maus

Throw out that package of test strips - they are worse than useless. Inaccurate readings are worse than none at all because you are making eating choices based on the readings you see.

My vote goes for reactive hypoglycemia. You definitely need to talk to a doctor about this. Things have probably changed in the last few years, but the primary treatment for this condition used to be a LOW-CARB diet and very small, frequent meals (which explains why you felt so terribly bad after a burrito, chips, and cookies!)

I have been assuming it was reactive hypoglycemia because I have been diagnosed with that. That is why I was shocked when the numbers were the opposite of what I was expecting!

I just got back from the doc and she said extended fasting causes blood sugar to rise that high. (I did tell her the strips were expired.) She said she thought it was a certain type of ulcer. She told me that she would test my thyroid and run the diabetes marker test. The nurse took 6 vials of blood! I said something about how she was only testing for 2 things, why was she taking so much blood. The nurse winked at me and said, "I think she is checking for just a few more things." I am supposed to go to the hospital sometime this week and get an upper GI too.

(I think safe numbers for people diagnosed with diabetes and much different than the numbers used to diagnose people with it.)

Thanks everybody!

I wonder if your doctor is also running a celiac panel. You didn't bring up this as a possibility. Is it on your radar? You can have the genes for celiac from the time you're born but they can be activated at any time. I hope it's not that, and you find an answer that's something easily treatable. Please send an update when you can.

:grouphug:

I wonder if your doctor is also running a celiac panel. You didn't bring up this as a possibility. Is it on your radar? You can have the genes for celiac from the time you're born but they can be activated at any time. I hope it's not that, and you find an answer that's something easily treatable. Please send an update when you can.

I already have celiac. :crying: I don't eat: gluten, egg, dairy, soy, almond, canola oil, banana, coconut or agave syrup. I can't imagine having to give up more food.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

The first thing I thought was thyroid. I had that response when my thyroid was out of whack. I also have naturally low blood pressure, and so things that affect my hormone levels make me very nauseous and light-headed. When they put me on sythroid, I actually started blacking out. :001_huh: If you do find out it's related to your thyroid, I encourage to try a naturopath as well. I did not respond well to western medicine approaches (and I'm not anti-western medicine by any means) but my naturopath was able to help me.

Good luck! I hope you feel better SOON!

The first thing I thought was thyroid. I had that response when my thyroid was out of whack. I also have naturally low blood pressure, and so things that affect my hormone levels make me very nauseous and light-headed. When they put me on sythroid, I actually started blacking out. :001_huh: If you do find out it's related to your thyroid, I encourage to try a naturopath as well. I did not respond well to western medicine approaches (and I'm not anti-western medicine by any means) but my naturopath was able to help me.

Good luck! I hope you feel better SOON!

That is interesting because she specifically mentioned thyroid and tested me for it. I had constant hyper/hypo cycles before, but have been stable since going on a celiac diet 5 years ago.

I already have celiac. :crying: I don't eat: gluten, egg, dairy, soy, almond, canola oil, banana, coconut or agave syrup. I can't imagine having to give up more food.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Oh! I'm sorry! Those dietary restrictions are tough. I really hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly, so you don't have to limit yourself anymore than you have to.

It seems like your doctor is caring and knowledgeable. It's good to know she is really listening and getting the tests done right away since you've suffered so much already.