Menu

US Americans: help me answer a question please

Diluted is pronounced: DiluTed or DiluDed?  

1. 1. Diluted is pronounced: DiluTed or DiluDed?

• From the Northeast and say DiluTed
    • From the Northeast and say DiluDed
    • From the Midwest and say DiluTed
    • From the Midwest and say DiluDed
    • From the South outside of Texas and say DiluTed
    • From the South outside of Texas and say DiluDed
    • From Texas and say DiluTed
    • From Texas and say DiluDed
    • From the West and say DiluTed
    • From the West and say DiluDed

(and Laura, when I read your posts, I hear them read by Delia Smith, still)

I don't think I could find someone who sounds like me: after almost 25 years of living with an American all over the world it's a nowhere acccent really. As far as pitch: Delia Smith sounds like a soprano to me. I'm an alto: pitched more like Nigella Lawson, but Calvin and Husband say that her accent is wrong for me.

Laura

The difference between "diluted" and "deluded" in my pronunciation has to do with the vowel in the first syllable rather than the consonant beginning the third syllable.

"DIE-lu-ded" with a long i = watered down

"DEH-lu-ded" with a short e = crazy

I grew up in New England

:iagree:but I'm from the midwest.

It's a flap. It's what people have described as between a t and a d. Some people think of it as being lazy. It is similar to the way many pronounce the "tt" in butter or flatter or the t in writer.

:iagree: I've lived in 11 states so I couldn't really vote. It sounds like a flap to me.

Diluted - watered down - definitely with a T sound.

Deluded - having a mistaken idea - that's the semi-homonym pronounced with the "D" sound.

That. I'm originally from Maine, now living in Maryland.

(and I think it's kind, your definition of deluded. ;) )

Diluted - watered down - definitely with a T sound.

Deluded - having a mistaken idea - that's the semi-homonym pronounced with the "D" sound.

:iagree: Midwest here. Pronouncing t as /d/ is a BIG pet peeve of mine. I could hardly STAND to hear one of my college acquaintances (from Colorado FWIW) say "bedder" for better. :banghead: She also said, "birdday" for birthday. :scared:

Edited by Medieval Mom

I don't think I could find someone who sounds like me: after almost 25 years of living with an American all over the world it's a nowhere acccent really. As far as pitch: Delia Smith sounds like a soprano to me. I'm an alto: pitched more like Nigella Lawson, but Calvin and Husband say that her accent is wrong for me.

I think I associate her sound with efficiency and clarity. Thus the association. ;)

I think I associate her sound with efficiency and clarity. Thus the association. ;)

I'm flattered and bemused as I sit here in the kitchen. The table currently has my laptop, a colander of slightly grotty grapes, the remnants of breakfast (crumby plates, milk jug, butter dish, open jar of Marmite) plus the following:

roll of paper towel, cleaning spray, golf cap, two boxes of matches (newly bought and not put away), a tupperware of vitamins/medicines, Grim Tuesday by Garth Nix, a Julia Child cook book, a pencil, a piece of blank paper, the back page from a choral score that I printed at home, a fruit bowl, a Post-It block, another piece of blank paper, an old to-do list and driving directions to last weekend's scout camp.

Efficiency and clarity..... it's amazing the impression one can create on the internet.

Thanks again,

Laura