Menu

There was another article about the mom on Yahoo today. Don't you just love Yahoo reporting? lol The title of the article says "Jamie Lynne Grumet Defends Her Time Magazine Breastfeeding Cover", but she gives her response to the backlash of comments that were raised in the article, but she does admit that she knew exactly what she was doing when she posed for that picture.

What do you all think of her comments??

I don't take issue with her comments. I do think extreme often have an impact among hesitant baby steps. We are having this discussion on a board that caters to parents so the majority of us are educated and informed about this issue.

But if you look elsewhere, the ignorance is astounding. Many people are saying this woman should be imprisoned. Do I hope some people walk away from this realizing that maybe someone shouldn't be imprisoned for this? Sure. I do have that hope.

Yeah, Time was extreme yada yada yada but it did start a dialogue. I think it is great.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't take issue with her comments. I do think extreme often have an impact among hesitant baby steps. We are having this discussion on a board that caters to parents so the majority of us are educated and informed about this issue.

But if you look elsewhere, the ignorance is astounding. Many people are saying this woman should be imprisoned. Do I hope some people walk away from this realizing that maybe someone shouldn't be imprisoned for this? Sure. I do have that hope.

Yeah, Time was extreme yada yada yada but it did start a dialogue. I think it is great.

Yeah it certainly got people talking! lol Reminds me a bit of the brujaja over the Tiger Mom when that hit. The mom's comments though in the Yahoo article really made me question her motivation for posing for that picture when she knew it was going to be controversial. Was she hoping to stir things up to get a dialogue going? or was it to stir things up for the sake of stirring things up? I agree with you that the ignorance is appalling out there, but even here on these boards I think the consensus was that the editorial presented attachment parenting, specifically extended breastfeeding, in a negative light. I guess only the mother herself knows her true motivations for participating in the photo shoot, but it does make me wonder if she has ulterior motives.

Yeah it certainly got people talking! lol Reminds me a bit of the brujaja over the Tiger Mom when that hit. The mom's comments though in the Yahoo article really made me question her motivation for posing for that picture when she knew it was going to be controversial. Was she hoping to stir things up to get a dialogue going? or was it to stir things up for the sake of stirring things up? I agree with you that the ignorance is appalling out there, but even here on these boards I think the consensus was that the editorial presented attachment parenting, specifically extended breastfeeding, in a negative light. I guess only the mother herself knows her true motivations for participating in the photo shoot, but it does make me wonder if she has ulterior motives.

I think the real issue is that most babies wean before they are one.

A great blog post that I read today when Kellymom posted it on their facebook page:

http://dianaibclc.com/2012/05/11/yes-shes-4-and-yes-shes-still-breastfeeding/

Beautiful!

I agree.

Also,

We talk about health care costs due to obesity, smoking, and other issues. Many studies have estimated BILLIONS in health care savings if we could increase the breastfeeding rates.

No, this cover isn't an issue to me. I think there should be more.

I'm all for dialogue about breastfeeding. I breast fed my son for over 5 years. I think it is so good for the baby and the mom too (reduced risk of breast cancer etc), but I still think the cover shoot with the "Are you mom enough?" headline was antagonistic, but I have to admit it did get people talking about it! hehe :p

There was another article about the mom on Yahoo today. Don't you just love Yahoo reporting? lol The title of the article says "Jamie Lynne Grumet Defends Her Time Magazine Breastfeeding Cover", but she never gives her response to the backlash of comments that were raised in the article, but she does admit that she knew exactly what she was doing when she posed for that picture.

Kind of an aside, the quote from Sears about how he's never known an AP kid grow up to be a bully?? Please. I have no problem with parents parenting the way they think best, but implying that AP parenting will prevent a kid from becoming a bully is a bit much. Either he's clueless or he only hears the good stories. Kids are kids, and if there's one thing that I've learned, it's that no parenting method is a silver bullet.

Kind of an aside, the quote from Sears about how he's never known an AP kid grow up to be a bully?? Please. I have no problem with parents parenting the way they think best, but implying that AP parenting will prevent a kid from becoming a bully is a bit much. Either he's clueless or he only hears the good stories. Kids are kids, and if there's one thing that I've learned, it's that no parenting method is a silver bullet.

I have heard that AP kids poop marshmallows.

:lol:

Sears irritates me almost as much as Alfie Kohn. It's all so easy, so simple. Even his "problem" child (Hayley?) was overcome by prodigious amounts of AP goodness. Except that it doesn't always work (and realistically it can't), and they've made their message so all encompassing and so generic that the parent who does everything "right" and whose child still has behavioural problems or emotional issues ends up feeling that they must not have given enough of themselves. Edited by nmoira
typo

Organic, HFCS-free marshmallows

(not slamming APers; we're more-or-less AP, though the kids are long out of the family bed)

I guess only the mother herself knows her true motivations for participating in the photo shoot, but it does make me wonder if she has ulterior motives.

:iagree:

Her motive was probably to be on the cover of Time Magazine and to get some publicity for herself. :glare:

I still feel sorry for her son. He looks positively uncomfortable in that cover photo, and I keep thinking of the ridicule he will endure as a result of this.

I didn't BF, but even if I did, I would never have subjected my ds to that kind of publicity just so I could be on a magazine cover. I think it's horrifically tacky.

Sears irritates me almost as much as Alfie Kohn. It's all so easy, so simple. Even his "problem" child (Hayley?) was overcome by prodigious amounts of AP goodness. Except that it doesn't always work (and realistically it can't), and they've made their message so all encompassing and so generic that the parent who does everything "right" and whose child still has behavioural problems or emotional issues ends up feeling that the must not have given enough of themselves.

:iagree::iagree: Every family situation is unique and each family has to choose what works best for that family.

:lol::lol::lol:

There was another article about the mom on Yahoo today. Don't you just love Yahoo reporting? lol The title of the article says "Jamie Lynne Grumet Defends Her Time Magazine Breastfeeding Cover", but she never gives her response to the backlash of comments that were raised in the article, but she does admit that she knew exactly what she was doing when she posed for that picture.

I wasn't a big fan of her, honestly. I wasn't a big fan of Dr. Sears, either.

The mom's comments though in the Yahoo article really made me question her motivation for posing for that picture when she knew it was going to be controversial. Was she hoping to stir things up to get a dialogue going? or was it to stir things up for the sake of stirring things up? I agree with you that the ignorance is appalling out there, but even here on these boards I think the consensus was that the editorial presented attachment parenting, specifically extended breastfeeding, in a negative light. I guess only the mother herself knows her true motivations for participating in the photo shoot, but it does make me wonder if she has ulterior motives.

For real. I really can't stand when 'experts' who have their own 'method' of how to parent insist that if you just do things their way, you'll have the best kid ever. It's just so much baloney. :rolleyes: I found his comment annoying and the overall attitude that 'this way = THE best way' gag worthy. (I feel that way about several different parenting style advocates who insist that their way is the best way, so it's not just him!) :ack2: