Menu

Our perfect day at the "hidey hole" *pictures included*

In order to get away from the stress today, last night while the kids slept I loaded up my trunk with our school books, camp stove, blankets, water bottles, etc. I called my dayhome client and told them I could not watch the 2 year old today, I didn't say much other than letting them know about my aunt's husband.

This morning I woke the kids up bright an early and we headed out to our hidey hole. We could have had a better day. We hung out in the trout shack. The whole wall on one side slides open and over looks the trout pond. We spent the day listening to frogs and birds. There was stairs down the water that the kids loved to sit on an explore the pond. We went for walks, the kids used sticks some fishing line they found and hook from a broken leash in the trunk to construct a fishing pole. In between our adventures they did their math and language arts.

DD4 asked all day if we could nature the birds we saw, nature the sticks, nature the gophers etc What she meant was put them in our nature journals.

We met many dog owners walking around. Our pup had a great time splashing in the water. The kids caught little fresh water shrimp things and water beetles.

At around 3 pm lots more people started coming around. Many noticed the kids playing nicely, sharing their home made rod, all our stuff in the shack and complimented me, my kids etc Every single person that realized we homeschool and had just spent a whole day doing school in the sun and beauty of the pond made such positive comments about how lucky we are. How blessed I am to have such well mannered, well behaved kids. How they have only met wonderful homeschoolers and thought they gave their children such wonderful educations etc.

Basically my stress for the day melted away. The kids truly were amazing today. Yes I have a ton to do tonight. I am working again tomorrow and have to wait and see if anything comes from yesterday's fax. The gas goes back on tomorrow at least.

Here is some pictures from our perfect day.

Oh wow is that a property you own or a public park? That looks so cool. You guys just hung there all day and no one complained? I would have one freaking out over any bugs and the other would freak that I expected school work LOL! Your kids are cute love the colored pen so much like my daughter and your dogs ears look so very soft! Congrats on a very wonderful looking day :D

Just what you needed. It is nice when you take control of your life, your kids and it all ends up right. Not every day will be perfect (like today was for you) but you are the doing the right things. Good job! I am jealous, very jealous.

Oh wow is that a property you own or a public park? That looks so cool. You guys just hung there all day and no one complained? I would have one freaking out over any bugs and the other would freak that I expected school work LOL! Your kids are cute love the colored pen so much like my daughter and your dogs ears look so very soft! Congrats on a very wonderful looking day :D

It was at the provincial park that is in the neighboring town. One of the kids favorite places is in this location. We discovered it last fall and enjoyed it then, but they told me they wished I never had to work so we could do school there everyday. At our old house in the city there was a manmade lake within walking distance that we frequented several times a week. They have said since moving here that is one of the biggest things they missed since moving here. None of us are hugely fond of bugs, and they weren't excited about doing school work but they were eager to be there so that made all the less than great things quite easy to get compliance. Easier than it is at home actually :lol: The only complaints came at 430 this afternoon when I told them it was time to go home and make dinner.

ETA: I forgot teh other complaint was about the giant spider living in the boys outhouse, so everyone stuck to the girls

It was at the provincial park that is in the neighboring town. One of the kids favorite places is in this location. We discovered it last fall and enjoyed it then, but they told me they wished I never had to work so we could do school there everyday. At our old house in the city there was a manmade lake within walking distance that we frequented several times a week. They have said since moving here that is one of the biggest things they missed since moving here. None of us are hugely fond of bugs, and they weren't excited about doing school work but they were eager to be there so that made all the less than great things quite easy to get compliance. Easier than it is at home actually :lol: The only complaints came at 430 this afternoon when I told them it was time to go home and make dinner.

ETA: I forgot teh other complaint was about the giant spider living in the boys outhouse, so everyone stuck to the girls

When you say "work" your talking the day care children, or correct me if I am wrong. If it is just extra children could you not take all of them? May get some of the energy out of them and give your house a break from the wear and tear of a bunch of kids. Is your camping stove the same as a solar oven or is it something different?

When you say "work" your talking the day care children, or correct me if I am wrong. If it is just extra children could you not take all of them? May get some of the energy out of them and give your house a break from the wear and tear of a bunch of kids. Is your camping stove the same as a solar oven or is it something different?

Yes I run a home daycare. If I still had my van that would be no problem but I have a little sedan since my van broke down the week before xmas. It seats 5 and there is 5 of us so no room for daycare child in the car unfortunately. Generally with my daycare kids we stay in town and just walk to the local park or library etc, but to go to the provincial park in the next town I can't/ Not to mention keeping a 2 yr old safe at the water's edge would be more stressful than relaxing. She has hit a very defiant stage right now and has started running off etc.

The camp stove was my coleman propane stove. I used it to reheat left over chili for lunch today. A nice filling, hearty lunch not the typical sandwiches today. I have made solar ovens in the past but have not used then with the kids just yet.

Yes I run a home daycare. If I still had my van that would be no problem but I have a little sedan since my van broke down the week before xmas. It seats 5 and there is 5 of us so no room for daycare child in the car unfortunately. Generally with my daycare kids we stay in town and just walk to the local park or library etc, but to go to the provincial park in the next town I can't/ Not to mention keeping a 2 yr old safe at the water's edge would be more stressful than relaxing. She has hit a very defiant stage right now and has started running off etc.

The camp stove was my coleman propane stove. I used it to reheat left over chili for lunch today. A nice filling, hearty lunch not the typical sandwiches today. I have made solar ovens in the past but have not used then with the kids just yet.

AHHHH I see. Yes I remember being stuck at home because the daycare kids did not fit in my car too! My older son who has autism was a runner at that age too so I feel ya there. The thing that helped was that little monkey,backpack, harness thingy they sold at Target. We made a solar oven we have just not really used it much. We put some bread with pizza sauce on it but I have been thinking of starting to use it more often.

I am just such a directions kinda person as far as cooking goes so it is hard for me. I can't very well set it to 350 for 10 minutes:001_smile: Well maybe you just can make a point that any day you don't have the extra kiddos that you go to that park. I miss daycare but man it does a number on your house that is for sure.