Menu

my teen's first job; what about the gas money (m)

HI, I am wondering how to handle gas/car costs for working teens? Anyone in a situation like ours where half of the teen's daily earnings could be spent on gas?

My teen just got her first real job - about $600+ a month take home pay.

The main concern is gas costs (40miles RT two times a day at a summer camp where there are no "errands" to run nearby) and it costs $16 RT in gas ($200-300 a month) Btw, having her spend the night at the camp is *not* an option - tho she may be able to spend the night at a relatives' home near the camp. And no bus service there.) (One upside, her meals are free!)

She will get her license in a few months and she will be paying gas *and* insurance in some measure. Even tho gas may be less (only one RT), insurance will be more $40-60 a month?)

Our plan *was* to have dtr pay the gas money to us (and we would save half of it in a savings account towards college or a car). There would be no spending money for dtr if we did this.

One last aside, if this were me "growing up" - my mom and dad would have made me pay every penny associated with the job, car, etc. incl clothes, entertainment, etc. IT was a *good* education in many ways, but ... I can't quite go there?

TIA!

Lisaj

I wouldn't worry about getting refunded for the gas. Wait...and see how responsible she is.... If she just blows her money on nothing ....then make her pay something for gas....but not most of her paycheck.

Tammy

Hi Tammy, I think budget-wise, there is a need for her to pay some of the gas money.

It is just not in our budget right now to pay $200-300 gas to fund my teen's new job :). If we were talking $100 a month, I could consider it, but not 2-3X that much.

Thanks tho - I do need other ideas then our original plan

lisaj

Hi Tammy, I think budget-wise, there is a need for her to pay some of the gas money.

It is just not in our budget right now to pay $200-300 gas to fund my teen's new job :). If we were talking $100 a month, I could consider it, but not 2-3X that much.

Thanks tho - I do need other ideas then our original plan

lisaj

Keep careful track of the mileage to make sure everyone is being fair, and then offer to pay for $100 per month in gas. She pays the rest. And perhaps sometimes she could stay with the relative who is closer--perhaps a night or two a week to ease the cost?

My first job was at 14y/o and barely covered gas. Dad often grumbled about it, but was such a paltry amount that he couldn't expect me to work and not have anything to show for it. Not a great incentive when a parent wants to encourage hard work.

The silly little job was the reference I needed to get a decent job the following summer, and a fabulous, well paying job the next year. I could afford gas, insurance, and lots of spending money. It was gamble on my dad's part, but paid off in the summers to follow.

And unless there is some very good reason she needs to keep all her money, as in she is fundraising for something important..I would expect her to help pay for gas, if not all of it. You are providing a vehicle with insurance. She will be making quite a bit of money and should be able to help out with gas. It is just part of life to know what it all really costs.

All 4 of my kids wanted to get jobs at the local mall, thinking it would be more fun there. I alwasy demanded they get a job close to home, where they could ride a bike or walk if necessary. And yes, this was before the gas prices went out of site!

Yes, we do have the option of them getting work close to home. They were all 4 sure that would never happen and they would never get a job , but each of them did. They were all quite happy not to be spending all fo their paycheck at the gas station.:auto:

My teen will be getting a job when he returns from camp. He wanted to work at a specific place in the bigger town we live near. I told him that if he chose to work further away, he would have to pay for the gas. Now, he is looking in our smaller suburb where I can have him anywhere in 10 minutes.

I guess my feeling is that I would have pointed out the gas costs before my child accepted a job so far away. Since you didn't, I would chip in some, but make her pay at least half.

Well to be honest....if the gas is going to be as much as she would make.....why work there? I certainly wouldn't do that. I think she needs to find another job...closer to home :)

Tammy

I am quitting my part-time job, even though I love it, and one of the big reasons is that gas and taxes eat up HALF of my pay! It's just reality. I'd strongly advise her to get a job closer to home, or accept the fact that she'll have much less to put in her pocket.

Wendi

Keep careful track of the mileage to make sure everyone is being fair, and then offer to pay for $100 per month in gas. She pays the rest. And perhaps sometimes she could stay with the relative who is closer--perhaps a night or two a week to ease the cost?

:iagree: The reality is that gas costs money. It's a good lesson to learn.

Can she carpool with another counselor or staff member? Is it cheaper to take a bus, if one is available? I'd have her pay some of the gas, and "think outside the box" for some other ways to cut back.

Next time, closer to home, for sure. And she learns from this experience, and pays for all gas.

And y'all are sweet to help her.:001_smile:

I make dd pay for her own gas and insurance. We purchased a car for her when she turned 16 and then a few months ago when we got our new one she wanted our explorer. I explained to her that it would use alot more gas than her geo but she insisted she could afford it. She has found that driving 50 miles a day round trip costs alot more than it did in the geo. She does have the option to stay in town at her grandmothers on the nights she works and sometimes she does this. Working 4 days a week she makes about $350 every 2 weeks clear and probably spends about $100 on gas for work and more if she does any running around with her friends.

When our teens have found a job further than 10 miles away, they have to pay for most of the gas. There are plenty of jobs within a few miles of our house. Anything over 5 miles and they have to pay the gas for the extra milage. It might sound mean, but it's reality.

When my teens get a job they pay us gas money and once they get their license they pay gas and their insurance cost.

We do the same here. My son has a job but he pays for the gas. Of course, the gas bill is not even $100 a month. He only works 5 miles away from our home. Once, he gets a license and a car, he will pay his own auto expenses totally.

Well, if it were me, I'd probably have her pay at least half. My parents, like yours, would have had me pay all of it. Staying with the relative is an idea, but that puts expenses in their household that they wouldn't have had too, like meals, and utilities increase. It may be minimal, but if it's common for her to stay, that might not be a good solution.

In hindsight, the camp is pretty far, and might not have been the best job. If she's really devoted to the job, then losing some of the pay won't be that painful.

It's a tough call... makes me glad my oldest is 10, though these dilemmas are right around the corner.

Well to be honest....if the gas is going to be as much as she would make.....why work there? I certainly wouldn't do that. I think she needs to find another job...closer to home :)

Tammy

A couple of clarifications:

1) The gas is *not* going to cost as much as she will make - just the spending money portion of her "job" money. We usually have kids (such as with babysitting, pet care money) save half long term; tithe 10%, spending money - 40%. (In this job, the gas would cost roughly 40% if I am driving RT to drop her off and RT to pick her up - 20miles one way.)

2) we live in a rural area and this job is about as close as "jobs" get in terms of mileage from our rural home (it might have been better to be in town because then I could often run errands for 4 hrs while dtr works) - but this job has some "location" benefits because there are 3 relatives who live close by or have a lake home we visit (For instance yesterday during dtr's 4 hr shift, we went to the lake home and thus only drove 8 mi, spent $8. I don't want to go to the lake every time tho.)

3) I meant to say this - I must have forgot. I am *pleased* dtr has this job, even at the gas cost because I know the job will teach her great life skills and job skills and the environment is an answer to prayer. (I asked the Lord for a place that was safe, with other Christians, with no late hours, not a "crowd" of worldly (teen coworkers seeking partying and dating) - and God gave her this job with all that an more - incl a "mom-like" boss in a church-based camp.) Just one interesting aside, she applied at uncle's retirement home - and they had no openings - but unbeknownst to us, the retirement home owned the dining contract at this church camp.

So, inspite of my grousing about gas costs - I am thrilled with dtr's job. I'm just trying to figure out how it all should be divided - so I'm not broke :) and dtr learns the valuable lesson about how costly life is!

thanks to all for replies! And thank you, Tammy, for clarifying that I needed to mention this!

Lisaj, happy mom to 5 who have no clue how much things cost :()

I would pay her insurance and not gas. Why would she "pay you back" for gas. Have her pay it herself up front. This might make her think about a closer job and the "reality" of how much things cost (it cost even to have a job). By not having her pay her own gas, you are setting her up for a "false reality".

Like you, I payed all my gas, insurance, clothes, ect.... when I worked. I think this is a good thing. Real life!!!!

Good job or not - the reality of the gas prices are they here to stay for now. If you are willing to pay $100/mo towards it, then do that and have her pay the rest. Figure out what you consider her having for spending money is fair and work backwards. I think that with that much going to gas, the expectation to save 50% is extreme. I understand the why - but if you don't, it's going to cost YOU more because of the gas prices.

Not only that, but the TIME you spend driving her to and from there is huge. Seriously, it would get old fast for me. But you need to look at the long term over the length of the job. Is it worth the time and money to even have it?

I'd probably be apt to say

$600 = $300 to us in gas, $60 tithe, $60 savings and the rest to spend.

Having to pay for gas will help her in the future look at the whole picture of the job. If the goal was to have her have a savings, then adjust it, if the goal was to have her earn "fun money" then adjust, if the goal was jus to have the experience to put on an application in the future then adjust it.

But mainly, what was the original GOAL of the job?

My thoughts exactly.

I was surprised by your SUV comment. We are just driving a 20mpg mini-van (seems standard mpg with most of my friends, nothing gas-guzzling really.)

And at $4 per gallon for gas here in my state (isn't it that much mostly everywhere???) - that means one trip to the camp (20miles - remember we live rurally, 20 miles from any "town" really - we don't go much of anywhere that isn't 20 miles away.

lisaj, driving the same mini-van as thousands of other homeschool moms <g> I assume

lisaj, driving the same mini-van as thousands of other homeschool moms <g> I assume

Me too..... 20mpg and hating it! Poor DH had to go to IKEA after flying all morning because i wasn't going back 60 miles to the store another day.At least we can shop in decently in a 10 mile circle from the house.

I was surprised by your SUV comment. We are just driving a 20mpg mini-van (seems standard mpg with most of my friends, nothing gas-guzzling really.)

And at $4 per gallon for gas here in my state (isn't it that much mostly everywhere???) - that means one trip to the camp (20miles - remember we live rurally, 20 miles from any "town" really - we don't go much of anywhere that isn't 20 miles away.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote the gas-guzzling comment. I would have no problem with it even if you did drive an SUV. I was sincerely wondering what your teen was driving and whether a more economical vehicle could be purchased. I should have explained myself better.

but not for a month or two. Teen is still preparing to get her license and is not at all a naturally good driver. She is quite inattentive. We are continuing to drive with her and trying to help her. She has finished driver's ed.

IOW, I am rightfully concerned that her driving herself will actually create a new problem/expense as in an accident, wrecked car or worse (which I know all moms of new drivers fear).

But for now, she is stuck with me driving her and depending on when a relative keeps her overnight or gives her a ride - I think it is going to play out with gas expenses about $50 a week or $200 a month.

We are going to have her pay all of the gas (and we will save $100 of that payment from her on her behalf for a car). In addition to our savings for her car, her breakdown of her $600 net income will be something like: save $200 long term savings (1/2 car; 1/2 college), gas 200, tithe $65, spending money (and personal expenses) $135. Given the fact that she has rarely had more then $100 to her name ever, I think this will be a good start for her.

thanks again - you have been a helpful sounding board

lisaj