Menu

Am I the only one who....

michaeljenn

feels chained to using a certain curriculum because it is recommended in TWTM? For example, I would much perfer to just use Easy Grammar with my children, and they would too. But, I feel like they will not get a very good grammar education if I use something else.... and I know it is from the influence of TWTM??? I know that Rod and Staff is much, much more comprehensive, but geez... even I have trouble with it sometimes. Easy grammar seems like a breath of fresh air!

Anyone relate...

Anyone have a key to this ball and chain I am wearing?????????:001_huh:

I have used something I was not happy with before, just because people on this board raved about it. And I had a hard time giving it up. But beyond that, I have never used something because the book suggested it. I hate to say this, but I found a lot of the curriculum suggestions to be out of date...based on a very limited offering of years ago. SWB had said years ago that she did not really want to get so specific over suggestions of what to use as there is so much goodout there, but her publisher made her do it because that is what the customer wants. In a way, her publisher was right. I mean, if you are just starting homeschooling, you do want someone to point you to what to do.

That being said, I think Rod and Staff is neat and all. It is a great solid curriculum. But my children are way above average and I have no interest in burning them out and we did Easy Grammar last year. It is good and thorough. Your children will not be worse off for having used it.

Don't feel like you are wearing a ball and chain!! WTM is a guide. Few people will fit exactly into the model suggested. It is just a guide. Use it as such. Only you know what fits best for your dc. I am so thankful for TWTM because it has given me another perspective/approach to homeschooling. I am not classically homeschooling but I am applying a lot of the concepts I learned from the book.

BTW, I used Easy Grammar for 2 years. I was worried that it was inadequate because it doesn't fit into the classical model. I now realize that EG was probably the best program for my son for those 2 years. We are completing Winston Grammar this summer and will move on to the Analytical Grammar program in the fall. My ds is strong in grammar and will only get better.

Follow your gut mom. You know your dc better than anyone. Remember what your goal is. Your journey may be a little different than others, but you have many years to get there.

feels chained to using a certain curriculum because it is recommended in TWTM? <snip> Anyone have a key to this ball and chain I am wearing?????????:001_huh:

Yes, at times, I have struggled with this, not here, but in other forums. The key (which I still sometimes need to use) to unlocking your ball and chain is to write out a list of what you have carefully determined to be the best practices for use with your kids, and read it at least as often as you read the forums.

YMMV.

Yes, it must come with time...one day you just decide you are tired of following someone elses idea of what works the best. You know yourself and your kids and you need some fresh air, dang it!

:tongue_smilie:

Here's a key!

I agree that the book is just a guide, there are way too many good programs out there to pinpoint just a few. But the book helps you to understand the how to of putting it all together, and what direction you may be headed.

:auto: (I just like that little car!)

She doesn't want people to just follow this. She doesn't even do that! She wants people to think through the best way to teach Their Own Child, and then to do that. She presents the book as more an ideal scenerio meeting certain specific objectives, and not as being as prescriptive as it sounds when you first read it.

I've struck out with almost every recommendation I've tried from WTM, and some, like R&S, I wouldn't consider because we are secular homeschoolers.

• SWO -- totally unsuitable for DD's needs
  • FLL -- boring; I had to compact huge chunks
  • Power Glide -- horrible (granted it was online and not the high school version)

Knowing DD, Saxon math would have been disastrous (she's a big picture person).

We do have a hit with Singapore Math, but using the IP and CWP, not the workbook.

I am far more likely to look for advice on these boards than I am from the WTM or any book. There are a kajillion users from whose experience I can benefit, many with kids similar to mine. :) What's not to love?

Well, I tend to use the TWTM recommendations first, and then move to something else if I'm not quite convinced. However, heading into our 5th year, I find myself dropping much of the "other curricula" and moving back to TWTM recs. I guess SWB chose them for a reason after all.

I love learning a lesson the hard way. :banghead:

ETA: Just wanted to mention that we hated R&S Grammar with a passion, and we will never go back to using it. My son is using Growing with Grammar with great success, and FLL has turned out to be the perfect fit for DD. I hope the publication of future FLL levels will keep pace with her.

When I first started hsing I gave great weight to the WTM book recomendations but after implementing some that just didn't work for use or seemed unchallenging or too 'busy' I found I gravitated to the boards and find that the recomendations here are more informative. I was glad to break away from the book.

Jennifer,

The beauty of the WTM is in the *method* not the specific recommendations.

Liken it to building a house. If you were told to do a, b, c, d, and e and the contractor said, "use your craftsman hammer to do a, b, and c" would it turn out any differently if you used a DIFFERENT hammer? No. You're still using a hammer, just a different brand.

Same thing here: follow the method, but choose your own tools. They'll work. Work through math every day, consistently for all the years your dc are home. It doesn't HAVE to be Saxon.

The original WTM recommended ABeka or G.U.M. for grammar; I had found R&S and LOVED it. So I used R&S instead and came to the boards *raving* about it. Guess what? Others did the same thing; SWB took a look at it, and now R&S is recommended. Does that mean that all the people who chose ABeka or GUM did the wrong thing? No. Their dc still learned grammar; they juse used a different brand hammer to do it ;)

Relax. The most important thing is consistency. If Easy Grammar appeals to you AND your dc, then DO IT! The best grammar program is the one that actually gets DONE as opposed to the one that sits on the shelf or invokes tears at the mere sight of it.

You and your dc will be fine. I promise. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really know that these are all suggestions from the book, but just needed encouragement from all you guys.

Another one of my favorite homeschoolin books is Educating the WholeHearted child, which is the complete opposite of WTM... and that one really messed me up too! LOL

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I have definitely struggled with this. It took me about half of the school year to finally give up on a couple of WTM suggestions. I'm really glad I did though! My ds is much happier. On the other hand, I have considered changing some curriculum, but then ended up staying with WTM because it was ultimately the best fit I could find.