Menu

*I* wouldn't spend money on a PE program. I probably wouldn't use it. Why is a PE program necessary? I think it is pretty easy to get outside and get active.

Ride bikes

Play catch

Jumprope

Hopscotch

Kick a ball around

Run

Swim

Hike

If you have money to spend you can join a sports team, take lessons in gymnastics/dance/horseback riding/swim, etc.

My kids do karate for PE. The older two go to 5 classes per week and help with many others. They end up with 8-9 hours of PE each week! My 3rd kid goes to 3 classes per week and helps for 1 class. The youngest just started so she's only going to 1 class each week. Then they all have practice every day, ride bikes, walk to the playground, walk around the neighborhood, etc. No need to pay for a PE program.

I never thought I would buy a PE program. Then I went to hear two of the authors of this program speak at the Midwest Convention. One has done an incredible amount of research into treatment for scoliosis, which my oldest has, and the other does a lot of work with athletes. I really liked what they were saying, especially comparing physical education and sports to other academic areas. I know we have been guilty of thinking that putting dc in kids' sports is enough, and I realized that the way the youth sports are structured, they really aren't learning fundamental movement skills (other than in wrestling,) just playing the sport over and over. Yes, my dc get plenty of exercise, but we hadn't really worked on physical education. Even the homeschool PE class they were in when thye were younger didn't really *teach* anything.

Anyway, we bought the program. We went out of town last week, so we are only one day into it, but dh read through it and was impressed.

I never thought I would buy a PE program. Then I went to hear two of the authors of this program speak at the Midwest Convention. One has done an incredible amount of research into treatment for scoliosis, which my oldest has, and the other does a lot of work with athletes. I really liked what they were saying, especially comparing physical education and sports to other academic areas. I know we have been guilty of thinking that putting dc in kids' sports is enough, and I realized that the way the youth sports are structured, they really aren't learning fundamental movement skills (other than in wrestling,) just playing the sport over and over. Yes, my dc get plenty of exercise, but we hadn't really worked on physical education. Even the homeschool PE class they were in when thye were younger didn't really *teach* anything.

Anyway, we bought the program. We went out of town last week, so we are only one day into it, but dh read through it and was impressed.

I didn't make it to this session, but I ordered the CD and just listened to it in the car a couple days ago! I was very impressed. I thought they made excellent points and I'm a complete convert! I will never think about PE in the same way again. I haven't looked at their specific curriculum yet, but I will be. I can say for sure that I will make PE a priority from now on.

Just so you know, I am talking about this one: http://www.familytimefitness.com/

(their seems to be a book or something with a similar name that gets people confused).

I loved the look of this. I wanted something we could do inside and outside. We needed a PE program (structured) because of DD's diabetes. I was asked to provide a program by our medical team. I researched and looked into this, downloaded the sample, had a look at the other bits.

Pros:

- Great well thought out program

- Can receive practically instantly, good for last second

- Allows you to use as much or as little space as needed.

Cons:

- "Workbook" seems to be nothing more than a very, very, very weird copybook (copy word fitness, copy F etc) which, IMO has nothing to do with Health/PE and is just weird.

- The program requires you to view several videos for each program (you have warming up exercise video, cooling down, main, and a few others). I can't remember all these different positions, which means I am going to be going back and forward from the computer (warm the kids up...let them run off or flop and rest for 4 minutes whilst I go and view the next video, at which point there would of been no point in warming up)

Overall I just found, even when I managed to find it on super special and an extra coupon, it just wouln't be worth it.

I decided for this year, "scheduled" outside play time, and nature walks, along with me scaring them and chasing them would have to do in the doctors eyes.

Next year I've been looking into scooter and Me video sets.

We have the Family Time Fitness program. I will admit that I haven't been very good at using it faithfully, however I just realized today that I should put it on the Ipad, then I can view videos if I have to right there, and I don't have to print all the sessions. We do enjoy it when we use it - the problem is mine in that I have trouble sticking to a routine. I can plan schedules like crazy, but have trouble following through. ;)

That said, it tells you right in the program intro to try to figure out the exercises (or have the kids do it) with the description only and view the video only if you have to if you can't figure it out. From what I've seen, the descriptions have been enough, so far.

And today, while doing school, DD *asked* if we can do exercises (PE class) again, so that tells me that I need to get back at it. The kids were having trouble staying on track today, so I sent them into the LR to blow off some steam doing jumping jacks, frog jumps, then played a silly follow the leader game, which prompted her to ask to schedule it back in to our day. I will spend a few minutes tonight loading all of the PDFs onto the Ipad so it's more portable and we'll get back at it tomorrow.

That said, it tells you right in the program intro to try to figure out the exercises (or have the kids do it) with the description only and view the video only if you have to if you can't figure it out. From what I've seen, the descriptions have been enough, so far.

Yep. I read through the first week and didn't need to watch any videos to figure out the moves.

I so appreciate the pros and cons.

Yes, I too thought it could be a waste of time. But like fraidycat said, I can plan ideas like crazy but not so good on following through. Being disciplined on my own is not something I'm good at.

We do lots of outdoor play, trampoline, riding lessons, scouts, etc. What I like about this program, or the idea of, is teaching my kids how to keep physically fit in a way that is a life long thing. They don't really "get" stretching and the purpose of it. They are sloppy in their execution of jumping jacks, et al. This might be our answer for healthy habits. Especially on days we don't head out for activities. I have a dd10 who if I don't get her outdoors/exercised each day, or at most two days, she gets irritable and rather intense, with pent up energy. With something like this I'm hoping it's varied and interesting enough that it keeps the kids' interest.

But I realize this could be totally useless for our family. I did download a few samples to research better.

Thanks so much ladies!

What I like about this program, or the idea of, is teaching my kids how to keep physically fit in a way that is a life long thing.

THIS right here is my #1 reason for getting it. I struggle with trying to keep up an exercise routine. I want it to be so ingrained in my kids that it's second nature - get up in the a.m., exercise. Lather, rinse, repeat. It kind of got lost in the shuffle of trying to figure out math/LA/history/science/geography programs, though.

I need to get back at it now that we've got the other stuff trucking along fairly smoothly.

I would never spend money on a PE program. I'm sure they're good salespeople and very good at letting you know why you "need" one, but, really? Just give your kids plenty of opportunities to be active!

PE is a "required subject" here in PA and when I write my summary to go with my portfolio I let them know that she takes Judo classes weekly, plays kickball with our homeschool group in nice weather, has plenty of opportunities to run, play, and ride her bike and scooter outdoors, that we go for walks and hikes together, and so on and so forth.

My kids get plenty of physical activity and they're healthy kids, so I just can't see spending money for a "PE curriculum!"

• 1 month later...

So to update this, my kids and I tried the 2day sample from familyfitness. The kids loved it. They enjoyed the routine of it and the simple games they suggest.

I like that it brings discipline to PE, it encourages daily exercise with variety, yet discipline, and we don't have enough regular sporty things scheduled in as I'd like. Plus, this Mommy needs regular exercise...

I might just go for it!

Melissa