Menu

Poll: NJKV or NASB {CC}

Which Version  

1. 1. Which Version

• NKJV
    • NASB

I can't decide between the two. I like how easily the NASB reads I really do, but my Life Application Bible is a NKJV & I love all the "extras in it". I was put off using the Life App. for a while because the pages are so thin I can practically see through them & read the font on the other side, but I just can't help loving that Bible due to all the extras.

I need to make a desicion & I'm pretty well set on just replacing my NASB with a Life Application NASB, but they are NOT cheap where I live which makes me lean towards just using the NKJV that I have which is a Life application. So, if you use either of these versions which one do you prefer?

ha :lol: I am the one vote so far for NASB. I use mine for Bible study and I really love it.

I have an NIV which I really enjoyed the year I read through the Bible. No study plan just start one page and go :auto:.

But for formal Bible Study (BSF) I prefer the NASB. I do not now nor have I ever (don't you love that phrase :tongue_smilie:) used the KJV or NKJV for study. Not that I dislike them, I just don't have any particular attachment to KJV. I know the KJV resonates for some people, maybe it is the language they heard when they were younger? Just not my 'go to' translation.

I chose NASB, but truly I vote for both.

Many years ago I bought the NASB Key Word Bible! This is just the best. NASB is the most literal translation.

Just recently I bought a NKJV Life Application Bible.

Together I read from both along with my Gesenius' Hebrew - Chaldee Lexicon to the OT AND David Stern's Complete Jewish Bible/NT commentary. And, in May I'm buying the Strongest Strongs Exhaustive Concordance AND a comprehensive dictionary with a coupon from Lifeway! Sorry to get side tracked, but these are THE.BEST.HAND.DOWN!

The NASB Key Word contains a mini dictionary AND lexical aids: Hebrew/Chaldee for OT AND Greek for NT. You can trace certain key words in scriptures BACK TO THE ROOT using the lexicons! I LOVE THIS!

The only drawback which isn't really one, but the key word Bible does NOT focus much on study notes/commentaries. It does have a little, but that is not a focus. The Life Appl. Bible is strong with commentaries. Both versions do well in cross - referencing.

HTH!

I *wanted* to like the NASB. I like the concept. I bought a lovely NASB Bible with a red cover and nice margins.... but I hated the clunky way it sounded. So I have an ESV (for my study) and a NKJV (for at church,) and the NASB went on the "extra Bibles for visitors" shelf.

I think that's the actual NASB I have. :lol: I had a slimmer one, but I had no space to write & it drove me insane.

Why not both?

At this point I do use both, kinda like Sheryl described, but I find it a bit clunky to carry two large Bibles around. Plus, when I highlight or take notes I want it there when I pick my "go-to" Bible.

Picking a version has been HARD for me. I grew up with KJV & the belief that it was the only "true Bible". I felt the need to try new versions for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest is I'm more apt to read that which reads easier, kwim? NJKV & NASB are very similar in translation. I'm not sure I've used an ESV.. Ho-hum, not another to add to the mix. :lol:

I haven't read above yet, but why not just get what you want and use what you have also? Why choose a version at all? We have many different versions. I read what I want when I want. I have a preference, of course (and you'll develop one, no doubt); but there are real benefits to reading various translations of the same text sometimes.

Anyway, so I guess I'd say to buy the one you want and one of them may be chosen as "the" one, but you'll benefit from having both in the long run, I'd guess.

Funny, we are always criticized for having "our own Bible;" but our publications use all sorts of translations as different wordings are more appropriate, helpful, etc and comparison makes good sense.

I haven't read above yet, but why not just get what you want and use what you have also? Why choose a version at all?

Mostly because I'm use to only having one Bible as my "go-to" & I want that ONE to be the one I'm most happy reading & learning from, kwim? I want to be able to make notes, highlight, etc & know that I'll see it each time I read that part. ;)

I have no qualms reading other versions while I'm learning though. :D