Menu

Deleting posts?

You go back to your own post, pick edit, highlight and delete. After a thread has been up for a certain amount of time you can no longer do it. People post a sob story, get feed back, and then delete it so the world can't read about it for the next 60 years.

But is that really true? Recently I looked for a blog tutorial that I had used once upon a time. The blog is no longer functioning but with the "Way Back Machine" we were able to access it.

There are other Internet caching devices so I'm not sure if deleting really deletes.

But is that really true? Recently I looked for a blog tutorial that I had used once upon a time. The blog is no longer functioning but with the "Way Back Machine" we were able to access it.

There are other Internet caching devices so I'm not sure if deleting really deletes.

But there is a difference between a casual search and a determined search. If you are determined you can probably find stuff, but for the average searcher deleting a post so that it won't live on forever is enough.

I posted something recently that I plan to delete or at least modify in a couple of days, but if someone is desperate enough to use the wayback machine I'm okay with them reading it. I would never post anything that I absolutely couldn't stand for it to be somewhere on the internet for all time.

But there is a difference between a casual search and a determined search. If you are determined you can probably find stuff, but for the average searcher deleting a post so that it won't live on forever is enough.

I posted something recently that I plan to delete or at least modify in a couple of days, but if someone is desperate enough to use the wayback machine I'm okay with them reading it. I would never post anything that I absolutely couldn't stand for it to be somewhere on the internet for all time.

Exactly. I sometimes think that some people find a certain comfortable anonymity on the Internet--which may not really exist.

You just have to remember to go back and delete it fairly quickly. I posted recently something that I fully intended to delete but by the time I got back to it, it was too late. It was not the end of the world for me. I don't post anything that is so private that I would have to worry if I didn't manage to delete it.

It doesn't. There are caching engines that will cache everything posted on any open site they troll. Some people think that going back and deleting the text of their posts will eliminate the evidence, but it doesn't.

And frankly, IMO, deleting a post is juvenile and annoying. If you think you want to delete it, then why are you posting it in the first place? Either post it and own it like a grown up, post it privately in a PM to someone who you trust to give you feedback, or don't post it at all. :glare:

Edited by Audrey