Menu

Thank you for all the kind words regarding Rusty (our family dog)

Yesterday was the appointment. I made it to NC just in time (bad weather). My parents met me at the vet's office with Rusty and my step mom went in with me. In the end, my father opted to stay outside in the SUV with the kiddos.

Before leaving their house with Rusty, they assured me that they gave him treats he had never been able to have - hot dogs, bologna... things the younger, faster dogs grabbed before our Old Boy ever had a chance.

When the time came, just as you all promised, it was quick and peaceful. The vet tech held Rusty in a bear hug while the vet gave him the injection, kissing him and showing him compassion comparable to it being his own family pet. I held Rusty's paw and looked in his eyes the whole time. I talked to him, but I thought it more important to maintain eye contact since we know he is deaf. The absolute most difficult part was that he never stopped looking at me. His eyes never closed. They stayed locked on mine even after he was gone. I felt like he trusted me and I let him down.

Thank you all so much for your kind words in my other post ("for those who have had to put a pet down", or something to that effect).

Yesterday was the appointment. I made it to NC just in time (bad weather). My parents met me at the vet's office with Rusty and my step mom went in with me. In the end, my father opted to stay outside in the SUV with the kiddos.

Before leaving their house with Rusty, they assured me that they gave him treats he had never been able to have - hot dogs, bologna... things the younger, faster dogs grabbed before our Old Boy ever had a chance.

When the time came, just as you all promised, it was quick and peaceful. The vet tech held Rusty in a bear hug while the vet gave him the injection, kissing him and showing him compassion comparable to it being his own family pet. I held Rusty's paw and looked in his eyes the whole time. I talked to him, but I thought it more important to maintain eye contact since we know he is deaf. The absolute most difficult part was that he never stopped looking at me. His eyes never closed. They stayed locked on mine even after he was gone. I felt like he trusted me and I let him down.

Thank you all so much for your kind words in my other post ("for those who have had to put a pet down", or something to that effect).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: