Menu

Happy you did it, even if they didn't learn anything?

Hunter

Have you ever completed a curriculum that looked GREAT on paper and you liked teaching it, but the students didn't learn anything? And you decided you didn't care that they didn't learn?

Does every single moment need to be effective? Is it sometimes enough that you DID it?

I know some newer homeschool moms are going to choke on this one, and think they must be misunderstanding me, because it just isn't possible that I could be asking something so stupid and irresponsible.

But for veterans, do you ever find yourself not only doing this, but also having given yourself permission?

Some recent posts just made me think of this. I think it's okay sometimes to just check off a subject. Efficiency is great, but...being perfectly efficient ALL the time in ALL areas, is just too much to ask of one person. I've NEVER heard of a school program that was perfectly efficient, EVER. And look at all the man power and funds and experience and collective education some of these schools have.

What an interesting question! I'm sure I have one, and the first thing that comes to mind was just something my DD used for spelling in first grade- Building Spelling Skills. It didn't "take" in her mind. This year she finally made headway with spelling, after I've implemented dictation instead of an official spelling program. I've been thinking, seriously, of how much time I wasted doing spelling in first grade with her and wish we hadn't done that. Knowing that, I didn't do an "official" program with my DS this year for first grade either, because I figured what was the point. HA! He's spelling fine on his own.

Hopefully, I've answered your questions somewhat correctly. I fear I'm rambling!!

Edited by amyrjoy

Hopefully, I've answered your questions somewhat correctly. I fear I'm rambling!!

There is no "correct". When we ramble, we are "writing to learn" and it's a very effective technique to figure things out. It's all good.

I have definitely skipped a subject when I knew it was useless to teach it. And doubled up on something I thought would be effective. That's still being effective, though.

Have you ever done the equivalent of teaching the 1st grade spelling again, because you had it, and the state required spelling, and you knew of nothing better, so just went through the motions and taught it anyway? And knitted a sweater instead of getting online and spending a month looking at spelling curricula, and bought a new blouse instead of paying for that new curricula?

There is no "correct". When we ramble, we are "writing to learn" and it's a very effective technique to figure things out. It's all good.

I have definitely skipped a subject when I knew it was useless to teach it. And doubled up on something I thought would be effective. That's still being effective, though.

Have you ever done the equivalent of teaching the 1st grade spelling again, because you had it, and the state required spelling, and you knew of nothing better, so just went through the motions and taught it anyway? And knitted a sweater instead of getting online and spending a month looking at spelling curricula, and bought a new blouse instead of paying for that new curricula?

:lol: To answer your last question- totally!!!!!!

I've been reading to my kids for years, but they don't remember many of the books. Also they don't remember places we've gone to. Oh well. I think it matters somehow, or at least got them used to doing things or hearing books read aloud. I'd like to think it's part of the patina, anyway.

Have you ever done the equivalent of teaching the 1st grade spelling again, because you had it, and the state required spelling, and you knew of nothing better, so just went through the motions and taught it anyway?
My DS struggled so much with spelling (and penmanship) early on. I tried so many programs, spent so many hours shopping for something/anything that might work. A dear homeschooling friend of mine (who has graduated several children) said, "Hey, state requirements just say you have to teach it, not that they have to learn it." So I went back to a plain workbook, tore off the cover that said the grade level and we just went through the motions for a year. End of year, DS was ready to tackle spelling and I was ready to search for a new program. Found AAS and quickly made up for that lost time. One of the wisest things I ever did - just going through the motions of "teaching" spelling while DS matured.

Have you ever completed a curriculum that looked GREAT on paper and you liked teaching it, but the students didn't learn anything? And you decided you didn't care that they didn't learn?
We did a literature study last year that I thought - in retrospect - was a total waste of time. I spent the rest of the school year regretting spending the time on it.

At the end of the year, I pulled out all of our school books so we could review what we had covered. DS pulled out that stinking literature study and proclaimed it was the highlight of his year. He then proceeded to tell me, in great detail, all about the book and the study.

I think it is sometimes hard for mom/teacher to separate what we think is educational (worth our time to study) and what a child sees as interesting/fun/worthwhile.

Not a curriculum...but I feel this way about History Pockets. There is nothing covered in HP that they haven't already been taught in their history. It is mindless paper crafts. So why on earth do we do it? (Every year?) Because they like HP. I like HP. They like having that cute little booklet of pointless crafts that all the Grandmas ooh and ahh over (their Grandmas love looking at that kind of stuff, lol!) and they pull it out every single time poor Grandma comes over for months on end. :lol: They never seem to want to show any of the other stuff we do. :glare: And so I'm happy that we do them simply because they are fun.

I think that they are learning even if they aren't producing the desired output. So, yes, I think some things are worth doing even if it *seems* that the child isn't learning.

Example: My years spent trying to get SWR to work for us. From the pov of output and results, it was a failure. However, the phonograms and rules were firmly planted and remain in long-term memory. We use those daily in our other non-Spalding spelling program and in our writing/reading. He was learning something significant, even if he did not show it.

Another example: Someone else already mentioned read alouds that have been forgotten. These stories help form character. And, though the details may be forgotten, sometimes life brings the strangest (and most forgotten until just now) childhood memories to mind. I think that is what Charlotte Mason might be getting at when she talks of storing up the mind with beauty and good.

Then there are skills. These are 3 steps forward and 2 steps back - often.:tongue_smilie: Is it worth doing even though it seems the kids aren't learning? Yes.

Now....ask me in 10 years when I have a few more years of experience to my name and see if I agree with myself....

I kinda think that a lot of the elementary years are about exposure, building layers of familiarity, but not necessarily complete retention. Kids remember way more than it appears that they've remembered; I'll often think my kids heard nothing about a subject, and then days, weeks, even months or years later, they'll start talking about it, and I'll realize that they really did hear it.

Another example: Someone else already mentioned read alouds that have been forgotten. These stories help form character. And, though the details may be forgotten, sometimes life brings the strangest (and most forgotten until just now) childhood memories to mind. I think that is what Charlotte Mason might be getting at when she talks of storing up the mind with beauty and good.

And also, I refuse to wait to start reading until they are 10 or something. Seems to me like the expectation and the lifestyle of reading's importance (and other things!) are more important than the actual book in question, at that age. My kids also don't remember breastfeeding or wearing diapers, much less being born, and I daresay those were pretty big parts of their lives when they were small.

And also, I refuse to wait to start reading until they are 10 or something. Seems to me like the expectation and the lifestyle of reading's importance (and other things!) are more important than the actual book in question, at that age. My kids also don't remember breastfeeding or wearing diapers, much less being born, and I daresay those were pretty big parts of their lives when they were small.

:iagree::iagree:

Maybe they don't remember.....but those read alouds are significant...maybe to nothing else but " My mom cared enough to read to me.".