Menu

Lhasa Apso Puppy -- Good idea or bad idea?

We doggy sat a lost Lhasa Apso for half a day recently (it followed me inside while I was unloading groceries, so we let neighborhood security know to send the pup's owner to our house to claim him, rather than let the pooch run around the streets).

We all loved it, but obviously half a day is nothing near full time duty.

We found some for sale near us. I completely, totally want one. DH says "research, ask the dog sitter we use, then we can think about it."

So, Hive, you are part of my research. :D

I did read up on them and see they aren't so great with really young kids (being a bit skittish), but seems like they'd do okay with older kids?

We have a 2 yr old golden retriever, and the 3 boys in my siggy. (ages 14, 11, 7) No other animals right now; we just had to put our kitten to sleep.

We can't get another cat because the whatever that our cat had, could have come from our yard and another cat could get the same disease (it was never identified).

So -- pros? Cons? Good idea? Bad idea?

If the research and pet sitter both come up in favor, we'll ask our vet what she thinks, too, before proceeding, but I know nothing about this breed except what I observed the few hours we had one in our care.

So -- talk to me. Yay or Nay?

UPDATE: pet sitter said "No problem" and DH said "compare a lhasa apso to a shih tzu; which is better with kids?"

So --- lhasa vs. shih tzu --- thoughts, anyone??? All I'm finding on-line for that seems to depend on what the author owns, LOL!

Edited by TheReader

My Dad had a Lhasa and he was a fun little dog. He did great with the grand kids too. They do need to be groomed (trimmed)-often. If the grass is damp then they need their feet/tummy wiped before re-entering the house (they are mops--even with puppy cuts!).

Make sure to check out the breeders extensively-- as these are frequently 'puppy milled'. Make sure they breed only QUALITY non-related animals--not just "here is a boy and here is a girl --lets make $$ by letting them breed". Get a vet reference from breeder if possible.

My only experience with this type of dog comes from when I was a child, and we had one, so I am by no means an expert. Our family experience tainted me on this breed though.

We had a Lhasa Apso when I was young (birth to age 5) who adored my mom and me. He was fickle about my dad and would growl at him occasionally, but that was as far as it went. He hated all strangers, even my grandparents/aunt/others who came by often. His name was Mickey, and I loved him to death. Then my sister was born, and he did not like her at all. He bit her twice, the 2nd time through the skin, so my parents found him a new home. I still remember the day we dropped him off because I was devastated. I later learned they are not overly good with kids through a friend who had 2, and she had to get rid of hers when her son was born.

His new home was at least 5 miles from my house along an extremely busy road. About a month after he was with his new family, he ended up back on our doorstep. We drove him back. He reappeared again a few weeks later. We still do not know how he survived the busy intersections he needed to cross, etc since it was a high-traffic area! So, I guess although he hated my sister, he still remained loyal to us. We did drive him back again, and we never saw him again.

Not sure if my story is relevant, but he was the first pet I've ever loved, so when I see these dogs, a warm spot fills my heart. Personally, I would not get one for my family though because I've heard negatives about them with children. Again, I'm nowhere near an expert though!

We have a Lhasa!

Pros:

Little dog without the yapping

Will alert you if anyone/anything is near your house

Loves to play

Just big enough to not be delicate

Doesn't shed

Loves to cuddle

Full of personality

Cons:

HAIR!!!!!!! You have to constantly brush them, even with shorter hair.

Brings in a ton of dirt, grass, sticks, and whatever else gets stuck in their hair

They will nip if you are too bothersome

Stubborn

Did I mention the HAIR?

He really is a great dog. Like any dog, you will have to spend a bit of time training them. They do think highly of themselves. I read somewhere that when a Lhasa looks in a mirror, they see a lion. Very true. My Lhasa controls my 80lb Lab. He has cornered raccoons. He's killed a chicken. He loves to bring presents, like dead birds, squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc..

The breed was developed to alert monks if an intruder was in the monestary. They are guard dogs. If we are upstairs, he will sit at the top of the stairs and not let anyone past him, not even the Lab. If someone ever broke into our house, I really think our Lhasa would take them on, while my Lab would try to kiss them.

The HAIR!!! You have to find a good groomer or learn how to groom a dog. I think they look adorable with medium-length hair, but it really is a lot of work. Our Lhasa gets a pretty short clip for the summer. Still, he constantly picks up burrs, which are next to impossible to remove.

If you want a Lhasa, just read everything you can before you get one. Everyone loves our Rusty. Right now he is acting like a very good foot warmer.

We have a Lhasa!

Pros:

Little dog without the yapping

Will alert you if anyone/anything is near your house

Loves to play

Just big enough to not be delicate

Doesn't shed

Loves to cuddle

Full of personality

Cons:

HAIR!!!!!!! You have to constantly brush them, even with shorter hair.

Brings in a ton of dirt, grass, sticks, and whatever else gets stuck in their hair

They will nip if you are too bothersome

Stubborn

Did I mention the HAIR?

He really is a great dog. Like any dog, you will have to spend a bit of time training them. They do think highly of themselves. I read somewhere that when a Lhasa looks in a mirror, they see a lion. Very true. My Lhasa controls my 80lb Lab. He has cornered raccoons. He's killed a chicken. He loves to bring presents, like dead birds, squirrels, rabbits, mice, etc..

The breed was developed to alert monks if an intruder was in the monestary. They are guard dogs. If we are upstairs, he will sit at the top of the stairs and not let anyone past him, not even the Lab. If someone ever broke into our house, I really think our Lhasa would take them on, while my Lab would try to kiss them.

The HAIR!!! You have to find a good groomer or learn how to groom a dog. I think they look adorable with medium-length hair, but it really is a lot of work. Our Lhasa gets a pretty short clip for the summer. Still, he constantly picks up burrs, which are next to impossible to remove.

If you want a Lhasa, just read everything you can before you get one. Everyone loves our Rusty. Right now he is acting like a very good foot warmer.

Can you point me to any good websites? I read a few articles, but not enough to know "this is (or is not) a good breed for us" really.

Hair we can deal with. Bringing in burrs, etc. we can deal with (same issues with the golden, really) (and our yard is impeccably groomed, because our rental home came with a gardener....).

When you say "must learn to groom" -- we brush the golden regularly, and have no problem taking her for hair cuts as needed; do we need to learn something beyond regular brushing? I read to start a lhasa pup with 3x/wk brushing? If we do daily brushing is that enough between cuts? (I have no problem budgeting hair cuts into the pet budget).

One thing I read: they are hard/stubborn to potty train. True? Not so much, if you work diligently? We trained the golden by taking her to the same spot in the yard, several times a day, every day, for weeks until she was able to go there on her own. Seems like, from what I read, this is the same sort of routine we'd have to do with a lhasa apso to get her trained. Or will it be much harder than that???

Also, read that they should be crated/kenneled when not actively played with. We don't like to crate/kennel, but have no problem putting pup on-leash at my side instead. Would that work? Do they prefer to be more closed in? Must we crate train?

Any other tips? We are no strangers to dogs, puppies, etc. and the work involved in general, just checking to see if this breed is a good fit for us.

Oh, and the youngest is 7 and has settled into a child able to be calm, gentle, loving, etc. not the teasing, rough, tugging, etc. kind of kid he once was. My MIL has mini dachsunds and he handles them well, we have had cats/kittens, he handles those well, etc. so I do think all the kids in the house are of an age/ability to treat a small dog with the care they need.

We had a male lhasa for 12 years. He was my first baby. When he was 5, I had my dd. He never liked her from the day I brought her home from the hospital. When she got older, she learned quickly not to be rough with him. He always growled and then nipped if she didn't take his first hint. Our 2nd dd didn't have the same problems but she listened to his warnings! We elected not to get another one because I felt I couldn't trust him around young kids. Would I get another now that my kids are older, yes, yes, yes. I still miss him to this day.

We had a male lhasa for 12 years. He was my first baby. When he was 5, I had my dd. He never liked her from the day I brought her home from the hospital. When she got older, she learned quickly not to be rough with him. He always growled and then nipped if she didn't take his first hint. Our 2nd dd didn't have the same problems but she listened to his warnings! We elected not to get another one because I felt I couldn't trust him around young kids. Would I get another now that my kids are older, yes, yes, yes. I still miss him to this day.

So, in a home where the youngest is a 7 yr old boy who *does* know how to behave around animals, and no younger siblings will be forthcoming (nor any teeny tiny visiting relatives, friends, etc....), you would say ok?

I'm seeing "they don't like strangers" and "they don't like the unpredictable movements of very young children" but I'm thinking that "7 yr old boy who knows how to treat an animal" is probably okay, yes? If the kids are there first and puppy grows up with them?

My dads Lhasa was not kennel trained and he was a good dog. They did confine him to the laundry room (via a baby gate) at night-- if not he would 'alert' them to any and every sound during the night...

By grooming-- it is not just daily brushing-- their hair grows fast-- and they need grooming (professional) more often than a golden... 1-2 times per month PLUS daily brushings.

They are a bit harder to potty train--because they are so stubborn (like most small dogs). Keep it in a restricted area (or on a leash) when not actively watching it until it is fully trained-- can take 6 or more months!

My dads Lhasa was not kennel trained and he was a good dog. They did confine him to the laundry room (via a baby gate) at night-- if not he would 'alert' them to any and every sound during the night...

By grooming-- it is not just daily brushing-- their hair grows fast-- and they need grooming (professional) more often than a golden... 1-2 times per month PLUS daily brushings.

They are a bit harder to potty train--because they are so stubborn (like most small dogs). Keep it in a restricted area (or on a leash) when not actively watching it until it is fully trained-- can take 6 or more months!

So, question....when you say grooming, you mean professional hair cutting? Or professional brushing, something beyond what I can do at home?

I assume hair cuts will be much more frequent than the golden, that is fine and I have no problem budgeting that in & making that happen. But at home, between times, say we do a once every 2 weeks session at the dog groomers (or whatever is necessary), in between those sessions, is daily brushing all I need to do at home? Or more than that?

We are at least heading into dry season, so months-long potty training is not an issue right now. I can handle keeping a pup on-leash and regular potty breaks until she learns to go to the potty spot on her own. (and I read that they tend to like to be asked if they need to go potty, rather than tell the owner; so funny! I can handle that, i think...)

Good to know we can manage without a kennel, though. Thanks for the input!

We have a lhasa and absolutely adore her. Her worst feature is barking when people come in, even us.

She was VERY nervous when we first started taking in foster kids. The first two were boys, ages 5 and 16mo though. Now, she expect the children to mind her and is fine with them. She doesn't even mind the baby who pulls hair! Your kids are older so should be fine.

Oh, we do almost no grooming honestly. Her ears need brushing but we shave her down usually and when she gets shaggy cut her down...so every 3-4 months usually. We probably *should* do it a tad more often. We also get her feet cut shorter to buy us time there.

We NEVER crate ours. She sits on my bed in my room when we are gone. She sits right next to my daughter in her chair or myself on the couch if we're just playing on laptops or whatever. She loves a nightly walk, not too long please. Ours often cannot or will make it through the night so there is a potty pad put by the bedroom door to catch her mess. Easy clean-up.

We've had shih tzus and are fine with both breeds as has my mother. Lhasas *seem* to be a little more tempermental than shih tzus as far as I can see.

We have a lhasa and absolutely adore her. Her worst feature is barking when people come in, even us.

She was VERY nervous when we first started taking in foster kids. The first two were boys, ages 5 and 16mo though. Now, she expect the children to mind her and is fine with them. She doesn't even mind the baby who pulls hair! Your kids are older so should be fine.

Oh, we do almost no grooming honestly. Her ears need brushing but we shave her down usually and when she gets shaggy cut her down...so every 3-4 months usually. We probably *should* do it a tad more often. We also get her feet cut shorter to buy us time there.

We NEVER crate ours. She sits on my bed in my room when we are gone. She sits right next to my daughter in her chair or myself on the couch if we're just playing on laptops or whatever. She loves a nightly walk, not too long please. Ours often cannot or will make it through the night so there is a potty pad put by the bedroom door to catch her mess. Easy clean-up.

We've had shih tzus and are fine with both breeds as has my mother. Lhasas *seem* to be a little more tempermental than shih tzus as far as I can see.

ooh, thanks for this!

I'm so glad to hear you don't crate & it's not an issue. We are so not crate people.

My youngest does like to have a lap animal -- would a lhasa (or a shih tzu) tolerate this? Being held and petted? Not mistreated at all, but he likes an animal to snuggle. he would take the kitten in his lap, cover them both (himself & the kitten) with a blanket and sit and watch a movie. We are hoping a small dog would tolerate this (since the big dog, who would tolerate it, is not allowed on the couch....). Well, maybe without the blanket, though....

The guard dog properties of a lhasa appeal to us, and temperament seems close enough from what I'm reading....plus one that's available is the most adorable black & white oreo coloring (sigh)........DH still thinks we're crazy, but I'm pushing hard to dispel that. ;)

Since our llasa wasn't raised with kids, that could have been the reason he tolerated them:) Yes, he was my lap dog and would love to be on me or next to me on the couch. That's probably the reason he didn't like it when those babies came along. He was a very alert dog and would always bark when someone came to the door or pulled into our driveway. But, he could tell when it was my dh because he would pick up his head then lie it back down. We did groom him every 4 weeks and kept him short. It was just easier that way. I would get another Llasa in a heartbeat but the time isn't right. If you go for it, please post some pictures. I still miss by first baby:(

I'm in puppy research mode right now, so maybe I can throw some thoughts your way :) .

The best site I've found to give very honest pros/cons about breeds is the "what's good about 'em, what's bad about 'em" site. Just google: "Lhasa Apsos what's good about em" and the site should come up in your search.

I would also like to throw out a similar breed for your consideration. The Havanese is supposed to be a great dog, but looks a bit like the Lhasa or the Tzu. I guess they have great temperaments, and are pretty healthy....they are more rare, and so have not been ravaged by backyard breeders and puppy mills.

Lastly, I would say, really research breeders to find one who knows what they are doing. Your best bet is probably a show breeder who does all the testing and is expert at studying pedigrees and judiciously breeding for the total package: conformation, temperament and health. People who produce "just pets" are usually at best backyard breeders who do it for the money or fun, but are not breed fanciers, and probably don't know what they are doing. That's what I found anyway.

Oh, and remember with purebred dogs that you get what you pay for! They are expensive, but, are a many- year investment. You want a dog with a great temperament, and one from fully health tested proven lines, to give you the best chance at a healthy pet.

Good luck! Hope you find the perfect puppy for your family!

I had one and a friend of mine had one. Neither of us had very good experiences. Mine was not good with children; not really great with adults either. It was a male though; not sure if females are different. They are EXCELLENT watch dogs, I will say that, but the ones I've been around tend to be tempermental; want things on their terms, etc. I actually had a doggie psych from Tufts come try to help us and she told me this breed is just not great with kids. I am sure there are exceptions so I would just be sure to do your homework and be very careful picking a breeder. They are absolutely adorable though...and they don't shed, which is why I chose that breed in the first place.

Oh, I just read that you are in Brazil. Not sure how things work there as far as breeders. Does the breeder who has the litter now that you are looking at show her dogs, or get some kind of titles on them?

I'm really not sure how things work here. We got our Golden here, from someone who seemed to be a good breeder, but I don't know about registrations and all that. We never received the papers for our Golden (we don't care, she's spayed, not an issue for us) so I really don't know how/where dogs are registered (with which kennel association or whatever).

I'll try and find out about the pups available right now (they're in a pet store, actually), and if it's not a good situation we can keep looking. DH keeps reminding me "we are only toying with this idea....."

Here, though, pet store dogs tend to be double the price of from a private breeder dogs, so I wonder if the reputable pet stores don't buy from the more reputable breeders, opposite how it works in the US? I really don't know. I'll try and do some research.

We'll ask our vet what she thinks, too, before we buy anything. I know she'll give us good, honest information and she knows our kids, current dog, house situation, etc. and will not recommend a dog if she thinks that breed won't fit in our family/lifestyle.

Found you a link to a Havanese breeder in Brazil for you to look at :)

http://www.top-info.ch/dog/dog/zuchter/zu1.htm

I don't think she's in Brazil, but I'll check for that breed as well, thanks!

(the page was in French, and the .ending was .ch; brazil would be .br)

(it did look like she'd won an award at a show in Brazil, though....)

Your vet will undoubtedly be a really good resource for you...glad you already have a relationship with one. All I know is, that the worst place to get a dog in the US is in a pet store. They are all poorly bred ( inbreeding, bottom of the barrel genetics, etc.) .

After reading up on Lhasas, Shih Tzus, and Havanese, I would personally lean toward the latter two. It seems that Lhasas have more difficult temperaments, and might not be the best for families wanting a lap type dog. The Tzu's are probably going to be the easiest going of the three. They are popular, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good breeder there.

Let us know what you decide!

updating/bumping --

The pet sitter we use said she has no problem keeping one dog, two dogs, whatever. Hooray!

DH said "look up shih tzu and compare the two; which is better?"

So --- lhasa vs. tzu, what say the Hive?

I read your thread earlier and was going to suggest the possibility of looking at a shih tzu, but didn't want to bring it up if you were set on lhasas.

We have a shih tzu/maltese mix that is just the sweetest dog. We adopted him through a rescue organization. He's sturdy, playful, friendly, and extremely adorable :001_smile:. The only cons in our experience have been that he did take longer to potty train and keeping up on his grooming. I now just have a standing appointment with the groomer.

Here's before and after grooming pictures. Yes, he has one blue eye and one brown eye.

post-7258-13535086566644_thumb.jpg

post-7258-13535086566921_thumb.jpg

I read your thread earlier and was going to suggest the possibility of looking at a shih tzu, but didn't want to bring it up if you were set on lhasas.

We have a shih tzu/maltese mix that is just the sweetest dog. We adopted him through a rescue organization. He's sturdy, playful, friendly, and extremely adorable :001_smile:. The only cons in our experience have been that he did take longer to potty train and keeping up on his grooming. I now just have a standing appointment with the groomer.

Here's before and after grooming pictures. Yes, he has one blue eye and one brown eye.

We are definitely not set on lhasas; I love the look of these types of dogs especially as one we pet-sat for (the one who followed me in after groceries...) was just adorable. Like a Chewbacca mixed with an Ewok, in little teeny puppy size. So cute!! And calm, friendly, just let my littlest pet her for ages, etc. I have no idea what that dog actually was, lhasa or shih tzu or mix or ??

Yours is adorable!!!! Both before and after! I think we can work with potty training now I don't have any kids needing help in that area, and we're heading into dry season so won't have rain making that an unpleasant chore for a while.

grooming appointments are not an issue; we can manage that. Glad to hear those are the only cons!

Well it would help if I would attach a link! I am batting a thousand today. I am exhausted from our trip to Disney yesterday! Here it is: http://www.knappkennel.com/shihtzuaboutus.html

Thank you!!!

yes, I know the reputation in the US about pet stores, but I'm really not 100% sure if that's the case here or not.

Browsing the link now, and yes, the more I read, the more it seems lhasa is slightly less likely to be lap dog, great with kids, super patient compared to the other two.

Our vet is wonderful. Vet care here in general is wonderful. She's like a member of the family, as much as our Golden is. DH is going to email her and ask her what breed she would suggest for us. She's been our vet throughout our four & a half years here, first with our cats and now with our Golden, and cried with us when we had to put our little kitten to sleep. I'm sure she'll steer us well.

Again, thanks for the link and the info on that 3rd breed; I'll read up on those, too, and see what we think.

DH keeps reminding me, though, "We are only toying with this idea...." Of course, in the same breath he asked, "Did you show the boys pictures of the dogs? Make sure you show them pictures of those breeds as grown-up dogs, not just puppies...."

Just toying with the idea....:lol: not once the boys see pictures, LOL!! :lol:

My youngest does like to have a lap animal -- would a lhasa (or a shih tzu) tolerate this? Being held and petted?

Absolutely! Well, at least our Josie does. After she got used to our first foster boys, she would jump up in all of their laps if they were on the floor or the couch. SHe LOVES belly rubs. I do wish she'd avoid the baby a bit just because she's gonna get eaten, but...

I do want to say that our last lhasa was very fussy. An older man had a couple litters as a hobby. I totally disagree with that, but I liked Oz. He was taken from his mommy way too early and his behavior was rough. He was muzzled the first time at the vet at 6 weeks (we did find caregivers who could deal with him without muzzling). We loved that dog like nobody's business, but he wasn't NICE by any stretch and he didn't particularly LIKE kids. But I had a home daycare and it wasn't the end of the world. He did like having a big dog as a playmate and friend.

Edited by 2J5M9K

• 10 years later...

I see the last post on this place was 2012.  I doubt anyone ever responds to this post or comments on it.  My Lhasa Apso " Riley" just died this Friday will be a month ago.  I had her for about 19 years.  I never knew her true birth date.. I found her on the side of the road.  I rode past her and knew I couldn't leave a dog on the side of the road.  The vet said she was about 6 months old and was a $700.00 dog.  I have no idea where she came from.  I found her a year to the day after my miniature dachshund Wilson died.  Anyway... by now I'm sure you can tell I am missing her something terrible.  My grief is the only reason I'm here.  So.. let me just say.. despite what is said about the characteristics a Lhasa Apso... my Rileybug.. (Lhasa Apso) did not like to cuddle..(until she wanted some love)  she did not come until she wanted to come)  sit.. did not sit on command.. stay.. nope.   She was very independent and did her own thing, but she loved me and I loved her.  I would highly recommend a Lhasa Apso baby.. the 19 years I spent with Riley.. she was the love of my life.  I hope you will love your Lhasa as much as I did mine.