Menu

DH rescued a tortoise from the railroad tracks today

Not from an oncoming train or anything but the tortoise was sitting in the middle of the road on the tracks. Anyway, we think that he is a Russian tortoise. He seems to be in good condition and we are going to take him to the vet this week to get him checked out. In the meantime he seems to be eating and drinking but when we put him down in the yard for a little freedom, he races (quite amazing how quick he is -- I have no experience with tortoises) for the neighbor's yard.

My husband is worried that he isn't happy or that he(she) wants to lay eggs and that is why he keeps trying to get away.

Any thoughts? I have been quite amazed to see that he really seems to have a personality, which has been fun.

My mother started feeding a three legged turtle that came to her house and he had definite preferences about which fruits and vegetables he would eat.

Dh brought another one home from the middle of the road and it became obvious that it would be miserable in captivity so we released it near the wooded area of our property(about 15 acres).

I would release him near where he was found. That is his home.

:iagree:

I am curious why he 'rescued' him, instead of just driving around him or putting him on the side of the road? A wild animal is not a pet and shouldn't be expected to act like one. I think your husband is right, he is not happy and wants to go home. Help him get there.

Is the animal injured? Why the vet if he is in good condition?

I would release him near where he was found. That is his home.
Actually, probably not.

I don't believe there are any native tortoises in the northern US, which would make this a pet that was either released by its owner or escaped from its home.

We have a Russian Blue Tortoise. They can be amazingly fast when they want to be. :lol:

Edited by Suzanne

Actually, probably not.

I don't believe there are any native tortoises in the northern US, which would make this a pet that was either released by its owner or escaped from its home.

That is what we thought too, otherwise he would have just moved him off of the road. He is calling the vet today, so they should be able to confirm that. If he is wild, we will definitely take him back, otherwise we won't because he can't survive the weather here.

I suppose he could be an escaped pet but I am guessing not due to his location.

:iagree:

I am curious why he 'rescued' him, instead of just driving around him or putting him on the side of the road? A wild animal is not a pet and shouldn't be expected to act like one. I think your husband is right, he is not happy and wants to go home. Help him get there.

Is the animal injured? Why the vet if he is in good condition?

Russian tortoises are not native to N America. They are not native to "Russia" either, as they come from places like Afghanistan, Iran and Central Asia.

They are not "wild animals" in that they are not likely to survive (or reproduce) in suburban environments. They are raised as "pets."

Russian tortoises can have a lot of personality and can scoot for such a small animal.

The OP did the right thing rescuing the animal.

The Vet should check for parasites as this is the biggest problem with Russian tortoises.

Bill

That is what we thought too, otherwise he would have just moved him off of the road. He is calling the vet today, so they should be able to confirm that. If he is wild, we will definitely take him back, otherwise we won't because he can't survive the weather here.

I suppose he could be an escaped pet but I am guessing not due to his location.

Had to be an escaped pet. They are not native wild animals here. Even if one could "naturalize" it is not a good idea to let them do so for environmental reasons.

Someone is missing a pet. You did the right thing with the rescue.

Bill

Had to be an escaped pet. They are not native wild animals here. Even if one could "naturalize" it is not a good idea to let them do so for environmental reasons.

Someone is missing a pet. You did the right thing with the rescue.

Bill

Or it was "released". The pet store in our old town quit selling young turtles and tortioses because so many have been dumped on him or brought to him after being found in dumpsters and snowbanks. Often they are sick or suffering from shell rot when he gets them. Many people take on these pets without thinking what a big and long term responsibliity it is. My cousin has a pair of tortoises that taken care of will live 75 years or so. Our slider turtle will live twenty plus. They can be wonderful pets, though.

Edited by akmommy

Or it was "released". The pet store in our old town quit selling young turtles and tortioses because so many have been dumped on him or brought to him after being found in dumpsters and snowbanks. Often they are sick or suffering from shell rot when he gets them. Many people take on these pets without thinking what a big and long term responsibliity it is. My cousin has a pair of tortoises that taken care of will live 75 years or so. Our slider turtle will live twenty plus. They can be wonderful pets, though.

It could be "dumped." It is possible. Russian tortoises just seem particularly apt to "escape."

I don't think this has to do with a desire to "be free" of a situation they don't like, I just think it is in their nature to roam (especially at this time of year when they need to maximize food intake). Unfortunately this impulse can lead to bad ends. This one was lucky to be found.

Bill

Russian tortoises are not native to N America. They are not native to "Russia" either, as they come from places like Afghanistan, Iran and Central Asia.

They are not "wild animals" in that they are not likely to survive (or reproduce) in suburban environments. They are raised as "pets."

Russian tortoises can have a lot of personality and can scoot for such a small animal.

The OP did the right thing rescuing the animal.

The Vet should check for parasites as this is the biggest problem with Russian tortoises.

Bill

I have been told that the warmer, drier climate of Eastern Washington is suitable for Russians (not the wet climate in the West).

It could be "dumped." It is possible. Russian tortoises just seem particularly apt to "escape."

Maybe I should check around and put up some "found" posters. We just guessed he was dumped because of the location. But he is definitely speedy and wants to get out of whatever we put him in, so I can see how he could have escaped from someone.

It would be great if we could find his owner. We live in a semi-rural area so we are taking him to the vet to check for parasites as well as seeing if they might have an idea regarding the owners.

Is there some way you could set up an area outside for him? Perhaps with some fence pieces to give him an area to play I guess? I have seen little pens like for hamsters and stuff to go outside, maybe something along those lines? That is sad if someone just dumped it. I live out in the country and they are always dumping animals out here.

Is there some way you could set up an area outside for him? Perhaps with some fence pieces to give him an area to play I guess? I have seen little pens like for hamsters and stuff to go outside, maybe something along those lines? That is sad if someone just dumped it. I live out in the country and they are always dumping animals out here.

I think that Russians are burrowers, so it would have to be a buried fence or a container with a bottom like a rigid swimming pool, otherwise they would just dig themselves a door.

Maybe I should check around and put up some "found" posters. We just guessed he was dumped because of the location. But he is definitely speedy and wants to get out of whatever we put him in, so I can see how he could have escaped from someone.

It would be great if we could find his owner. We live in a semi-rural area so we are taking him to the vet to check for parasites as well as seeing if they might have an idea regarding the owners.

You will need a stool sample. If he/she has a good meal, then a (not too long) soak in lukewarm water it will bring on a poop.

Bill

If he/she has a good meal, then a (not too long) soak in lukewarm water it will bring on a poop.

:lol:

We adopted our neighbor's Russian tortoise when they moved out of the states and couldn't take him.

It wasn't until after we had agreed to take him in and they came over and had him all set up in our home that they said, "Oh, by the way... He needs to be pooped..." :001_huh:

If I had known that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have agreed to adopt him. But he is a neat pet and he fits right in to our zoo.

I think that Russians are burrowers, so it would have to be a buried fence or a container with a bottom like a rigid swimming pool, otherwise they would just dig themselves a door.
You are very correct. They can tunnel out of many enclosures. They can also climb/pull themselves up much higher than one would think, thus escaping over the top.

We put our tortoise outside in a very large dog crate. Not the best, but we haven't been able to build anything outside that ours cannot escape. We had a crate from years ago when we had a puppy, so decided to give that a try. (Our tortoise is normally inside, we just put him out during the day for sunshine and fresh grass.)