Menu

Check this list of math programs. Am I missing any?

BatmansWife

I feel the need to make a list of all the math programs that are available. I just need to see it....I guess to know if I am missing anything. I just stumbled upon Semple Math. I never even had heard of it before! So....I'm wondering if there are any other math programs out there that I've never heard of. If you see that something is missing from this list (which is in no particular order)....add it please. Thanks!

Math U See

Moving with Math

Mastering Mathematics

Semple Math

Professor B

Teaching Textbooks

McRuffy

Math Mammoth

RightStart

Math in Focus

Singapore

Beast Academy/ AOPS

Mathematics Enhancement Programme (MEP)

Miquon

Making Math Meaningful

Excel

Calvert

Touch Math

Life of Fred

Saxon

CLE

Horizons

Ray's Arithmetic

BJU

Abeka

Rod & Staff

CSM? Jump Math?

Oh yeah, Jump (I think of that as more supplemental worksheets. I know there is the actual program, but I thought just schools used that).

What is CSM? I bet the M stands for Math, huh? ;)

Developmental Math...

I hadn't heard of this. I just googled it. But, is this just for high school??

Oh yeah, Jump (I think of that as more supplemental worksheets. I know there is the actual program, but I thought just schools used that).

Sorry, I got auto-corrected. Should have been "CSMP". Comprehensive School Mathematics Program. It's another free K-6 program.

Nope, in fact I used it for my dd with special needs to help solidify basic addition/subtraction:)

Math on the Level

Oh, yes. Is this the one that's kind of like games?

Sorry, I got auto-corrected. Should have been "CSMP". Comprehensive School Mathematics Program. It's another free K-6 program.

I'll check this out. Thanks.

Nope, in fact I used it for my dd with special needs to help solidify basic addition/subtraction:)

Maybe I'm at the wrong site, then. I googled it and came up with this. Is this it? If not, can you give a link?

Shiller Math

I seem to recall this. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks. This makes much more sense. :001_smile:

Kitchen Table Math

The Key to... Series

Dreambox

There ar also a lt of ps programs you haven't listed - Everyday Math, for example.

I thought about listing Key To...

Yeah, I don't know too many ps programs.

Mathematical Reasoning by the Critical Thinking Company

I know there's lots of supplemental books and stuff for math. I was thinking of actual math programs. Aren't these just supplemental workbooks? Maybe I'm wrong.

At least the younger levels of the CTC math are a full math program. I don't know if the older ones are yet or not.

Tokyo Shoseki (Japanese)

Math Magic (Indian, available free online at NoteMonk)

Russian Mathematics Grades 1-3 (University of Chicago Mathematics Project translations)

Japanese Math Grades 7-11 (University of Chicago Mathematics Project translations)

School Mathematics Study Group aka SMSM (excellent 1960s New Math textbooks elementary though high school available free online in electronic form)

Singapore ought to be "Primary Mathematics" as there are other Singapore math programs.

Bill

Everyday Math? They used this at my daughter's school last year, but I don't hear too many good things abt it. It looks fine to me.

I also have Progress in Mathematics on my shelf. I don't inmagine that I will use it with all the other stuff I use, but Cathy Duffy gave it pretty ok ratings. It's very spiral and colorful.

Tokyo Shoseki (Japanese)

Math Magic (Indian, available free online at NoteMonk)

Russian Mathematics Grades 1-3 (University of Chicago Mathematics Project translations)

Japanese Math Grades 7-11 (University of Chicago Mathematics Project translations)

School Mathematics Study Group aka SMSM (excellent 1960s New Math textbooks elementary though high school available free online in electronic form)

First of all, I daresay that every country that has any educational system has some math books and math textbooks one could buy. So obviously for countries using English in schools, one could just buy their books (online or in person), and I am sure that in the UK, there are tons of math textbooks. In fact, I have bought textbooks and supplementary academic books published in the UK from Book Depository. Galore Park, for example, is one such program. Also if you speak another language, you could buy material in that language, and work on, say, math in Greek or Spanish using materials from Mexico/Spain/Peru/Greece/wherever. Some people got excited when I posted about NCERT's textbooks from India, because there is language-learning material for Hindi and Urdu, and also math and science texts in Hindi and Urdu.

Some of these you may never know about or be able to easily obtain. There are tons of math books published in India, but, unless one is going to go there, have someone bring them back, the only choice is maybe finding a way to have them shipped, which doesn't seem very easy. Other countries (such as Japan) have more accessible bookstores. However, if you don't speak Japanese, what good is it to have a list of every single approved curriculum? There are two Japanese elementary math programs that have been translated into English, by the way, and you could search my old posts if you want links. I did so long ago but don't feel like repeating. There are multiple other books in Japanese only.

For other electronic resources, there is also the whole manner of vintage texts, including Ray's, but certainly many others, some of which are available from Google books or archive.org, or other sources (such as the School Mathematics Study Group, which has its own archive site).

Edited by stripe

Some of these I hadn't heard of. I'll have to check them out.

Maybe I should have specified, but I was thinking of math programs in the U.S. I'm sure there's a lot of math programs in the world. But, I was thinking of a list that most homeschoolers are using in the U.S.

I'm sure we must have listed them all by now, huh?

First of all, I daresay that every country that has any educational system has some math books and math textbooks one could buy. So obviously for countries using English in schools, one could just buy their books (online or in person), and I am sure that in the UK, there are tons of math textbooks. In fact, I have bought textbooks and supplementary academic books published in the UK from Book Depository. Galore Park, for example, is one such program. Also if you speak another language, you could buy material in that language, and work on, say, math in Greek or Spanish using materials from Mexico/Spain/Peru/Greece/wherever. Some people got excited when I posted about NCERT's textbooks from India, because there is language-learning material for Hindi and Urdu, and also math and science texts in Hindi and Urdu.

Some of these you may never know about or be able to easily obtain. There are tons of math books published in India, but, unless one is going to go there, have someone bring them back, the only choice is maybe finding a way to have them shipped, which doesn't seem very easy. Other countries (such as Japan) have more accessible bookstores. However, if you don't speak Japanese, what good is it to have a list of every single approved curriculum? There are two Japanese elementary math programs that have been translated into English, by the way, and you could search my old posts if you want links. I did so long ago but don't feel like repeating. There are multiple other books in Japanese only.

For other electronic resources, there is also the whole manner of vintage texts, including Ray's, but certainly many others, some of which are available from Google books or archive.org, or other sources (such as the School Mathematics Study Group, which has its own archive site).

I'm sure you are correct about there being math books all over the world that people could get if they tried hard enough.

I was limiting myself to programs that are easily available for download (free) in electronic form or easily available for purchase (like the UCSMP translations), and are actually used by some members of this forum for home education. All the ones I included fit that bill.

Bill

I was limiting myself to programs that are easily available for download (free) in electronic form or easily available for purchase (like the UCSMP translations), and are actually used by some members of this forum for home education. All the ones I included fit that bill.

I think those are reasonable limitations. The idea of creating an exhaustive list of every math program, however, would be exhausting.