Menu

Fencing (the sport)...

Dd seems somewhat interested in joining a high school fencing club in the upcoming year.

Does anyone have kids/high schoolers that fence?

I know *nothing* about fencing. Any comments, things to know, good/bad experiences?

Thanks!

My DS is 15 and has been in fencing for a few years. He started with beginner classes and progressed and now is into competitive fencing. He really loves it and excels at it. However, be warned that fencing can get expensive. It is a sport that requires a lot of individual attention which means a lot of private lessons. Hope that helps a bit!

It is expensive. My son took some 1:1 lessons and enjoyed it, however decided not to continue much longer after the lessons because he was constantly sparring with other adults that had many more years of experience than himself. He is an easy going guy, but constant defeat started really impacting his self-worth, so he quit. Maybe if there were other teens or even just amateurs, he might have continued. All the guys he fenced were state competition level.

My oldest fenced for 3 years. He did regular fencing for two beginner sessions, then switched to the less-demanding, non-competitive historical swords. Very fun, great exercise. He has a bunch of historical swords decorating his wall in his bedroom :D.

It is a little pricey, but worth it, esp for a kid who doesn't really like team sports.

We have a fencer. It's a great sport. Her coach and classmates are awesome. I feel so grateful that we gave it a try and it stuck. I was worried about my sensitive girl not liking the mask and knickers. But once she got used to it, it wasn't an issue.

It's an expensive sport for sure. Our classes are $175 per month. That doesnt include all the gear, clothing, and shoes and the inevitable replacement or repair of everything. It also costs money to compete and to travel for competitions (something your kid eventually wants to do).

It's time consuming! She has class three days a week, plus private classes, and lots of weekend opportunities for competitions. We have struggled to have the time and energy to get our younger daughter involvedin an interest of her own. Not to say that it's because of fencing, but we all feel a teeny bit spread thin from the schedule (even siblings).

I can see my kid sticking with ths through college. We already know that our local university has a team. And she has some interation with them even on a small level. We will make a continual effort to get to know the coaches in that program.

All in all, it's been amazing. It's shaped how she feels about herself. I think it's been an empowering experience for her in many ways.

Hope this post helps, please excuse my typing (on a phone).

I hope if she tries and likes it, it's as happy and positive of an experience for your family. :)

Thought of one more tid bit!

We're realizing that fencing is not enough to keep her fast and limber. We've just started tennis and plan to send her to a yoga class once in a while (her Sis is the one who has to do yoga regularly).

Anyhoo I know that wouldn't be an issue for you guys right now. Just thought it might be helpful to get as much info as possible. :001_smile:

My kids have started fencing. I got to take an intro lesson with them once. It was extremely fun. Afterwards I was quite tired and soaked with sweat. It is much more of a workout than I thought.

I agree with others that it gets expensive, but it is a great sport.

I fenced in college and I wish there was a fencing club close by for my kids.

It is a NCAA sport and there are scholarships available for girls and boys. Ebay always has a nice selection of equipment and this company triplette.com has starter packages for the beginning fencer. In most classes or clubs that share equipment, there may be a lot of taking off the the lames, the metal thread jackets. I remember hating to share those because by the time they got to me they were sweaty.

I can say that there is a nice fencing culture and once you get to college, students that didn't quite fit in with the football or volleyball crowd can find a respected athletic place in fencing.